Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks! I'm stoked!!

It has the HDA-87 carb, will check the jug asap. It was bought new from my dealer and they did all service on it, etc. Guy traded it in on a new Husqvarna.

I'm so glad he did, and that the owner sent me a text about it.

“XP” in Orange on the recoil side from what I’ve seen always have the HDA87. Later decals aren’t colored in.

Its most likely a KS, but there is also the possibility it could be a non decompression valved Mahle too.

You could flip that easily for 2x what you paid. These saws have a good following.

Update on the trailer. When I bought it off the lot it had the short 20" tailgate. I went by the factory and picked up the drive on landscape ramp, only $900 extra. As soon as I got home I put the ramp on it. So, now I have this gate I can barely lift laying in the front yard. I had to take the short gate mounts off to put the ramp on, so I had the extra mounts. Stuck some PT 2X4's in the side board pockets and held a mount up to it. Looked like it would work. Got some clamps and clamped both mounts to the standards, put a sling on the gate and hung it in front of the mounts with the loader. Tailgate lined up perfect. four new bolts and the tailgate is now the head board. Got the calculator out and I need 2 rows of 18" wood, 42"s high to make a half cord. I'll probably never put more than a cord on it. I just like to make my side boards the exact height so I can just stack it in, and don't have to pre measure. I'm just wondering what the extra wind resistance is going to do. The cool part is the gate hinges from top or bottom, and has a chain to hold it in place. I can fold it down if I have long stuff to carry, or use it as a work bench. I can fold it up if I want to pull logs on to the trailer. I think I like it.

0eXmvbh.jpg

ZjCRBjx.jpg

“XP” in Orange on the recoil side from what I’ve seen always have the HDA87. Later decals aren’t colored in.

Its most likely a KS, but there is also the possibility it could be a non decompression valved Mahle too.

You could flip that easily for 2x what you paid. These saws have a good following.

I will check it out. The markings are on the recoil side? Do I need to pull the recoil assembly off to see them?

Gonna throw a new chain on her and use it to cut some firewood this weekend for the FIL. Interested to see how it compares to my MS361. I know the 361 is much newer, but I'm hoping the 262 is close.

Thanks for all the info Ryan, I appreciate it very much.

Update on the trailer. When I bought it off the lot it had the short 20" tailgate. I went by the factory and picked up the drive on landscape ramp, only $900 extra. As soon as I got home I put the ramp on it. So, now I have this gate I can barely lift laying in the front yard. I had to take the short gate mounts off to put the ramp on, so I had the extra mounts. Stuck some PT 2X4's in the side board pockets and held a mount up to it. Looked like it would work. Got some clamps and clamped both mounts to the standards, put a sling on the gate and hung it in front of the mounts with the loader. Tailgate lined up perfect. four new bolts and the tailgate is now the head board. Got the calculator out and I need 2 rows of 18" wood, 42"s high to make a half cord. I'll probably never put more than a cord on it. I just like to make my side boards the exact height so I can just stack it in, and don't have to pre measure. I'm just wondering what the extra wind resistance is going to do. The cool part is the gate hinges from top or bottom, and has a chain to hold it in place. I can fold it down if I have long stuff to carry, or use it as a work bench. I can fold it up if I want to pull logs on to the trailer. I think I like it.

0eXmvbh.jpg

ZjCRBjx.jpg

That's awesome. Nice work.

I need to get a new wood hauling trailer. I broke my old one that was a homemade unit that I purchased from the previous owner of our property, One of the spring shackles broke off of the frame. Not sure if it can be saved or not. It's my fault for loading her so heavy, and using to yank on logs with it attached to my tractor. LOL!

Just got back from being up at the property with MechanicMatt and his nephew. Despite several bouts of rain (that were not predicted down here) we donned rain gear and kept going. We set up a new tree stand, cleared shooting lanes, tested out my new shotgun barrel and hooked up the drain pipes on our new sink, etc.

I also got to meet his new dog … a real nice one! Followed the ATV like it was nothing!

Since Remington went bankrupt, I purchased a Remington 28" vent rib barrel for my 870. It is the first gun I was able to buy on my own back in 1970. Great gun, but the non vent rib barrel is just not as user friendly. Ironically, the new barrel cost far more than I originally paid for the gun! I was please with how the new barrel shot.

Yeah private ranch owned by a local guy. Big place, logger I’m cutting for has logged their place on and off for 25 years.

Am I correct in assuming it looks managed compared to the National Forests up there?

One of the things that slowed down the Creek Fire down here is it hit a private managed forest that deprived it of abundant fuel and dropped it down out of the crowns.

Well, got a lot of cleanup work done today.

A group I belong to is refurbishing a city park. Me being the chainsaw guy, volunteered to clean up the dead crap around the premises. Several standing dead willow, a few elm, and ash. The fellow who is doing the cement work on the picnic table pads had his skid steer today and helped drag the dead stuff up onto the lawn. We bucked about 3 cords of logs and since he has a dump trailer and an OWB, he’ll be the benefactor of the cleanup.

Still have more cleanup to get rid of honeysuckle and buckthorn brush but that can wait for another day. And since I only had the 346 and 130 today, I’ll bring a bigger saw to flush the stumps on from the larger dead trees. A few of the multi pronged willow had 20” plus leaders and the stump was much larger.

Am I correct in assuming it looks managed compared to the National Forests up there?

One of the things that slowed down the Creek Fire down here is it hit a private managed forest that deprived it of abundant fuel and dropped it down out of the crowns.
Oh yes! For sure! I was just thinking about that when I was cutting last Friday. It’s very healthy, almost picture perfect in there. Lots of little trees already growing in there to replace what we are cutting. The older trees we are harvesting are healthy trees that will make good lumber and have grown fast because of good spacing. Hardly ever see a dead or dying tree. Fires are way easier to stop/ contain there. The logger I cut for does a great job for the land owner, really enjoy being part of it.
Private managed forest-FB1025E6-328E-4782-94BF-10C7FE65DAAF.jpeg6FF19B5C-F110-4483-869C-960BF2486638.jpeg
Unmanaged National Forest-542E54BE-F433-485E-95A0-BED12858956A.jpeg52F757FC-3F69-487D-929C-D25E3C488550.jpeg

I will check it out. The markings are on the recoil side? Do I need to pull the recoil assembly off to see them?

Gonna throw a new chain on her and use it to cut some firewood this weekend for the FIL. Interested to see how it compares to my MS361. I know the 361 is much newer, but I'm hoping the 262 is close.

Thanks for all the info Ryan, I appreciate it very much.

The sticker in the recoil side. Looks original and would Indicate you have a saw with the more desirable jug/carb combo. No worries!

Shoot me a PM if you have any questions.

Latest posts

Back