Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never used to wear PPE, other than safety goggles on occasion. Now I wear chaps and a helmet with the screen face shield. No more fogged up safety glasses. My only complaint about the helmet is when felling trees it wants to fall off my head when I'm looking up.
Was having the same issue, bought one with the attached ear muffs, works good, no more sliding off my sweaty bald head when I look up, or knocked off walking through brush.

There are thin hats that I wear under my ski helmet that are a type of fleece(?), they work well under my helmet and keep my bald head warm at the same time. They also have them
There are thin hats that I wear under my ski helmet that are a type of fleece(?), they work well under my helmet and keep my bald head warm at the same time. They also have them in full face masks like guys wear snowmobiling, sure the guys in Minnesota could tell you what they are called. I've always called the smaller ones I've worn a toque(spelling). They are very thin, but they breath well(I sweat a lot) and they block the wind. If you helmet won't stay on well when you look up because of your hat its not giving you as much protection as it could be, kinda like what Fauci said about masks :innocent:.
Are you thinking of a balaclava. Wore them snowmobiling, when I was much younger. Blew a couple of them up, last one was a 1996 artic cat zr. First was a 1974 gpx 433.

You are running on luck James. It only last so long.
Take it from a old guy that has been doing it 44 years.
Wrap that left thumb around the handle. I know to many that have been hit in the face.
There are 1000's of ways a saw can get you hurt.
I am not being critical. I don't want to see you or anyone get hurt.
It is not un-cool to wear PPE.

Very well said.

I keep the helmet on now. A couple years ago I wasn’t wearing the helmet, I’m only felling. Doh! As soon as the tree started to move, something (probably a limb) hit me on top of the head (hard). Much harder and it would have knocked me out. In less than a minute blood was running down my face. Don’t wait for an experience like that to make you keep your helmet on.

You'd think for having 20 couple of stitches in his leg and part of his brain removed this guy would wear some PPE. NOPE!! Also hard of hearing from running table saws and rip saws at his job back in the 60's when hearing protection wasn't required. He also didn't want me to noodle that big locust cause the sledge and wedges were faster. :crazy2:
He will be 90 next June. 20201109_124514.jpg

I do that on some logs. Definitely helps.

My practice when arriving at the job site. Out of truck, scrench back left pocket, wedge front right pocket then I'm ready to procede. If planning to buck, my cut-off (16" piece of pvc pipe) in back right pocket.

Buddy just stopped over last week with the back of his suv filled with them(the plastic one). He likes our water here, they are part of his crap hits the fan water storage, primarily for drinking water.

I have two of the water Jerry cans, they're like a tan plastic color. I bought those at one of the surplus stores, and use them for the same thing.

We have to wear the MSA helmet with earmuffs at work, industrial/manufacturing. I also use the same when I am felling, seems to hold on well. But I have to admit that I don’t have chaps, need them just don’t have any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
This is how close my 462 came to my leg today.
Get you some bro.
They will keep your pants cleaner and your legs warmer in the winter.
Once those gas fumes get in them insects run away.
To Close.jpg

Look at that unwrapped thumb! Oh the humanity! Haha :omg::dumb:;)
View attachment 867091
Why are you stood like that? Is there a reason, uneven ground or something? It's not comfortable surely, holding all the weight of the saw out in front of you so much I mean. Why not turn sideways more? Bar out to the left of you instead of in front of you, I think your back will thank you.

I have a Husqvarna Technical helmet. If I wear it with no sock hat on when it's cold, my bald head gets cold but it stays put. LOL. I should have mentioned that part. When I try to keep my head warm, it wants to fall off, no matter how tight I adjust it.

I think I'm going to try a bandana. See if that offers some insulation, while allowing the helmet to stay on.
Go to any good industrial safety store (or maybe Flea Bay). They should have insulated liners that are made to mount right in the suspension of the helmet. They work well and alow the suspension to work as designed.

Well my scrounging truck (only) has developed a problem. I have a 2008 Dodge Ram 1/2 Ton 2WD. Nothing special. I thought the shocks were shot because I kept hearing a clunk every time I went over a bump. I checked under it today and found the cross member of the frame in the rear had rusted through. This 'H' shaped piece of channel runs side to side and is welded to the main side pieces of the frame. It holds the spare tire assembly and more importantly, a shock mounting bracket is welded to it.
I'll be dropping by the local mechanic and a body shop tomorrow to see what my options are. Anyone brief me on what to expect so I don't drop dead from $hock?

Nice Jerry can! I also use those. The good ones are expensive, so I only have two of those.
I wish I had more of them. My only issue is keeping track of the spout that clips on it. I have a few old steel gas cans that my pop gave me years ago. Hate these new cans.

Back