Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
More or less the reason I left my parents church. Pastor Ralph retired, and the new guy was a pretentious ****, whom didnt live by the words he preached. Then he brought this high profile missionary in, whom was the same way if not worse. That was the last day I went to church with my parents. Very short version of the story, the pastors sermon was about giving back to God so that God (the church) could reach out and help others in the community. (All community projects were halted after pastor Ralph retired) then the missionary gave his sermon about how we should live without, and give as much as we can, and when we think were giving enough give more. We should be humble and live without to give to the church, our vehicles and clothes should be modest, we should do without the finer things in life. He kept it up for nearly an hour. After the sermon my dad went tor speak with the new pastor, through their conversation my dad told the pastor that he was unimpressed with the says sermon, and if he wanted his flock to live how he preached, he should live the same. The pastors reply was I am man of God, I work his will, therefore what you contribute is for me as it is for God and the church. Wile leaving we saw the missionary guy getting into his truck. A brand new (at the time) loaded ford f350. Every option I could think of was on it as well. I was livid. These are the men that just told us to live like the homeless to support the church in the name of God. I havent been back since that day, and shortly there after they lost a lot of patronage because if the new preachers ways. Sad really, Ralph was an excellent man, knew the word of God and inspired you with everything he taught. He was humble, and lived within his means, served his community and took care of his flock. I have yet to find another preacher I like quite as much as him.
Very typical of those type, unfortunately.

Interesting too. I have a handful of lifelong friends who became a part of a “church” as an adult (often due to a spouse). They are totally normal when we hang out but it’s very clear that the fellow “church” members (even recent ones) rank higher on their list than anyone except maybe their immediate family.

I’ll never trust people in blind faith like that. Fair weather or singular focus friends depart as quickly as they arrive.

His words ring true today for many institutionalized churches and their "pastors". People worship the pastors, rather than Jesus. The gathering I attend is taught by a man who is not elevated above the rest of us speaking from a pulpit, rather at a table with us as equals, and we call him by his first name. Calling him pastor will get rebuke. Operating in the pastoral roll does not equate to taking it on as a title.

Matthew 23:

5 “Everything they do is for show. On their arms they wear extra wide prayer boxes with Scripture verses inside, and they wear robes with extra long tassels. 6 And they love to sit at the head table at banquets and in the seats of honor in the synagogues. 7 They love to receive respectful greetings as they walk in the marketplaces, and to be called ‘Rabbi.’[c]

8 “Don’t let anyone call you ‘Rabbi,’ for you have only one teacher, and all of you are equal as brothers and sisters.[d] 9 And don’t address anyone here on earth as ‘Father,’ for only God in heaven is your Father. 10 And don’t let anyone call you ‘Teacher,’ for you have only one teacher, the Messiah. 11 The greatest among you must be a servant. 12 But those who exalt themselves will be humbled, and those who humble themselves will be exalted.

I delivered a load of particleboard to a cabinet shop in Jasper Indiana last year and they had a Rural King on the outskirts of town. I thought it was really nice, probably had 5 times the inventory of our local TSC. They had an excellent selection of garden plants, if you're into gardening.
I stopped there after I got my bedliner and mud flaps for the new truck. Very nice store. I gave myself a 1/2 hour to look around. More guns and ammo than I have see anywhere else in a long time. Surprised to see they sell Stihl. The saws had the MSRP on them and also a RK Price. I can Stihl get a better price from my dealer. Only saw they didn't have was a 261. I may go next week when they have their grand opening.

You guys tell me if I'm nuts. The new truck came with the factory spray in bedliner. I put a drop in liner over top of it. 3 reasons. More protection from wood being dumped in and being able to slide boxes of produce in and out. Easier to clean wood debris out with the leaf blower.

You guys tell me if I'm nuts. The new truck came with the factory spray in bedliner. I put a drop in liner over top of it. 3 reasons. More protection from wood being dumped in and being able to slide boxes of produce in and out. Easier to clean wood debris out with the leaf blower.
Your nuts lol. I took a drop in liner out of my bed, I favor of a (soon to be) spray in bed liner and a rubber mat on the floor. (Currently have just the mat in the bed) theres so many places the bed liner rubbed through the paint it's a disgrace. Was even a "ford" factory liner. I recently got a raptor liner kit for it. My one uncle shoots it a lot on trailer beds, and truck beds at his work. They've really been impressed with how it holds up to abuse. I figure anything is better then letting a relatively rust free bed go to snot from that liner rubbing it and possibly trapping moisture in between the liner and bed.

You're nuts. LOL. I think the factory spray in liners are quite good. No, they don't add much protection from denting the bed if you dump firewood in it.

The plastic liner will likely rub on the spray in liner and trash it anyway, so I would try it without first - you can always install the plastic liner later if you still really think you have to have it.

Probably want to check with Mrs. Farmer first since it's her truck...

It makes sense if you want an easy to clean box. I like having a drop in for my dedicated wood hauler and don’t like one in my general purpose pickup. Having things like car batteries, propane tanks, toolboxes, Etc sliding around every time you hit the brakes or go around the corner is not my favorite thing.

And I get a hard time... :laughing:.

Getting a bit more done.
Not the warmest out especially with the breeze and lack of sunshine, but I won't let that stop me :p.
View attachment 894996

I'm on vacation this week, was hoping for temps/weather like last week. Ugh.

Oh well, maybe I'll get to run a saw or two.

Plan is to build beehives.

Curious why you like a 0.404 (Is that what you mean?) B&C for milling instead of, for example, a 0.050?
I have not milled with 404 yet, but that saw came with it, and 404 is supposed to be more durable than 3/8.

My biggest problem with the milling is the chains dull fast.

I have not milled with 404 yet, but that saw came with it, and 404 is supposed to be more durable than 3/8.

My biggest problem with the milling is the chains dull fast.
Da me! Brain freeze. You're talking about pitch (I knew that) not gauge. I mixing apples and oranges.

And here I've been burning them in the campfire ring for the kids and giving them away to friends for the same. Looks like me and the missus are going out for a good dinner!
View attachment 894843
And more still on the ground where I pulled the two trees down this morning.
The local Owl recue folks begged me to make Owl and Kestrel boxes out of hollow rounds for them. I told her I made a couple for a farmer friend and she said they were trying to get volunteers to make boxes. Only problem, I just had 4 hollow rounds and that was it.

Yeah true, I’ve seen many churches turned into “churches” as well. Pastor of a small rural church retires, board has a heck of a time replacing said person and ends up hiring someone from far away. New guy starts out nice and sweet then the message changes. 3/4 of the parish leaves. New sect of people are recruited in and boom “church”.
We had over 400 families, and I think it was about 3000 people in our church. About 5 years ago our minister retired and they sent us a gay lady preacher. In just over 2 years half the people left. She kicked every leader of every group in our church out of their position, and hand picked people she brought from her old church in their place. The revenues from tithes dropped to the point they sent a new Leftist man preacher. They took the American flag down, quoting separation of church and state. Then put the rainbow flag up in place. In a year there were only a hand full of folks left. Last I heard the church was up for sale. It's one of those massive stone churches you can see from a mile away.

No, you are not nuts. The spray in liners are very good for keeping stuff from sliding around. I actually left my Dad's 3/4 inch drive ratchet set sitting diagonal on the bed sides in the corner by the cab. Drove about 30 miles and they didn't slide or fall off. Then, I dropped about a 100 pound block fo wood from waist high, and it put a nice big dent in the bed. I've dropped stuff like that in my plastic liner, with the molded in runners, and it didn't get down to the bed. They both serve a purpose. When I got my new F150 it came with a nice drop in liner and I like it a lot.

This one is for @Jere39. One of my big Oaks died about 2 years ago. All the bark was falling off and it was starting to drop big branches, so I cut it down today. I have a 1968 Homelite XL12 I was thinking about putting on Ebay, so I shot a short video of it, then cut up about half the log till it ran out of fuel.
7gEso17.jpg

UnVi2G1.jpg

Latest posts

Back