Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with Chipper. Approach the owner/manager (assuming that they were not the person who tried the funky business) and ask them WTAF was going on with that deal. Then make your decision as to what type of relationship you want with that place based off their response.

There are a lot of places around here where I’ll buy parts/supplies (out of convenience) but would never make a major purchase based on how they treat people.

The guy on the phone was conferring with the manager as we spoke, I can still ask him about it. I’m new to this place, the place I went to for a long time closed down more than a year ago (and I haven’t settled on a new place yet). Their lease was gonna have a big increase, and they couldn’t afford it. Plus the owner and service manager were mid to late sixties, and retired instead of moving to a new location. The guy on the phone came from the place I use to go to, there wasn’t any funny business there. Looks like the manager of the new place put him up to it. There’s probably a dozen chainsaw dealers within a 25 minute drive of my house, I can go to others. This one isn’t crucial.

If you look close at the stump my Stihl 660 with a 25" bar is sitting on it. Tree was just about 100' tall. This XL12 is one of the early ones at 54CC’s with a 16” bar, I stopped cutting the log at about 18” when the saw ran out of fuel. I have several more with 20 and 24” bars. It can pull a 24 with full 3/8 chain no problem. When the Super XL’s came out they went to 58CC’s. I took the video because I was thinking about putting the saw on ebay. But, dang, I like it too much! Think I'll sell my MS290 instead. I bought 19 saws last year and every time I get one running it becomes my new favorite, for it's size range. All but one I bought last year were over 70CC's.
5tsdlVE.jpg
Yeah kinda like my 357 xp wood ported saw I purchased last fall , it has became a favorite for firewood along with my 5105 H .

Maiden voyage with the new truck today. Went to finish cutting the last of the 40 Apple trees. Didn't haul any wood because I haven't got the back window protector on yet.
View attachment 895415
Nice new sled and box full of nice utensils , Steve ! ;)

Looks good sitting there among the saw dust. And, seemed to be running fine on the video. If you sell it, you'll one day regret it. If you don't, you'll probably never run it again.
Looks similar and sounds similar to my 1967 58 c.c. Pioneer 11-60 , I would keep it for sentimental reasons alone lol.

Well , finished bucking & splitting 2 cord of free silver maple & white oak blow downs that my Son dropped off with the City Tandem Monday night . 357 xp , 7910 xd are cleaned & put on the saw shelf . Letting the garage woodstove & smoker burn down while I listen to a few John Prine tunes & sip a few Bushmill blacks on ice ..all is good ! ;)

Update after the surgery. End of week two of the "do nothing" recuperation. I am ignoring the 'no driving' (it is over now anyhow) as I see no difference in driving or sitting in a damn chair. No bending, lifting, etc. Trying to avoid but living alone one just has to do it sometimes.

No pain anywhere and feel physically better than I had in the past two years. Physical Therapist gave me a clean bill of health and said had could no think of anything to do and won't be back. Weekly visit from Home Health is pretty much a waste of time. In the door, ask a bunch of questions, take temp & blood pressure, quick look at incision and gone for another week. I am taking walks up the highway and adding a bit each day, up to about 1/4 mile - my pace has greatly improved of the baby steps I started with.

4 more weeks to go before I am officially 'back in battery" I will probably start swing saws in early in week 6. I did fire up my two small top handles Friday, dumped gas and ran them dry. I shouild have done that three months ago.

Sounds like your progressing well. Keep it up after my hand surgery I though why did I do it but now it's like I never had it done

Yes, I’m very happy with it. I think I’ve been fishing with it 5 or 6 times (drilling anywhere from 3-10 holes per time) plus drilled about ten holes yesterday and the battery was down to half.

The guy who recommended it to me told me to keep the battery warm and you’ll never have an issue. I keep the whole unit in the guest house during the winter.
I just picked up a jiffy model 75 for 40 of our Canadian rupees. I bought it as a parts auger to fix my buddie's that needs a clutch. Couple pulls of the rope and it cranked up and ran. Needs some TLC but I think it'll be good.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

The guy on the phone was conferring with the manager as we spoke, I can still ask him about it. I’m new to this place, the place I went to for a long time closed down more than a year ago (and I haven’t settled on a new place yet). Their lease was gonna have a big increase, and they couldn’t afford it. Plus the owner and service manager were mid to late sixties, and retired instead of moving to a new location. The guy on the phone came from the place I use to go to, there wasn’t any funny business there. Looks like the manager of the new place put him up to it. There’s probably a dozen chainsaw dealers within a 25 minute drive of my house, I can go to others. This one isn’t crucial.

If it were me I definitely would stop in and bring it up with the manager when the other fellow was not within earshot..."Dude what was up with that? Kind of made me feel uncomfortable" That way you end it with a disarming statement and then shut up and let him explain. He can either make bad excuses or apologize.

I'm having some wood shortage anxiety this week so I'm planning on going to get a couple loads of willow. Going to take our utility trailer to get a little more per trip. Its a big tree pile in a field and its the only place I can consistently get wood. Seems like the more wood I need the less there is.

Argh.

Drove the plow truck to town yesterday to grab dock poles since my daily driver truck has the pipsqueak 5.75’ box. Everything ended up running late and never made it to the hardware store. So I either need to make a special trip today or drive the plow truck tomorrow which I don’t want to do cause I’ve have to work about an hour and 45 minutes away and I’d rather not drive that thing for 3 and a half hours getting 11mpg.

Looking at a couple days of nice weather here then rain/snow Sunday through the end of next week.

Argh.

Drove the plow truck to town yesterday to grab dock poles since my daily driver truck has the pipsqueak 5.75’ box. Everything ended up running late and never made it to the hardware store. So I either need to make a special trip today or drive the plow truck tomorrow which I don’t want to do cause I’ve have to work about an hour and 45 minutes away and I’d rather not drive that thing for 3 and a half hours getting 11mpg.

Looking at a couple days of nice weather here then rain/snow Sunday through the end of next week.
I feel you on the poor milage vehicle and cruddy weather. Got a call last night the tin is finished for my roof. Have to go pick it up tonight after work. Cleared the logs off the trailer noticed one of the tires was flat. Here I drove over a piece of metal or something and cut a hole in the side wall. Got the spare mounted. Hooked the truck up to it. Looked at the gas gauge. Half tank. Not enough to run 45mins one way and get back. Love the power of a big block just wish it would do a bit better when I'm towing. Seems when I hook the trailer up my 9mpg immediately goes down to 6mpg. Raining here today too, so it will be a fun drive.

Definitely. Nothing I own gets good mileage. Even my newer truck (13’ with 5.3) only averages 15. My 07 Yukon and previous 07 Suburban averaged about 16.5-17 which is funny cause they weighed over 1500 lbs more and were more boxy with the same engine and gear ratio. Oh well.

Gas at 2.15 wasn’t bad. Gas at 2.75 is starting to hurt the pocketbook.

Definitely. Nothing I own gets good mileage. Even my newer truck (13’ with 5.3) only averages 15. My 07 Yukon and previous 07 Suburban averaged about 16.5-17 which is funny cause they weighed over 1500 lbs more and were more boxy with the same engine and gear ratio. Oh well.

Gas at 2.15 wasn’t bad. Gas at 2.75 is starting to hurt the pocketbook.
I had a Tahoe with a 4.8 for a couple years and it got 17 at the very, very best. My current 1/2 ton standard cab has a 5.3 and the best you can milk out of it is 16. I drove a 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive Chevy with a 4.3 and a 5spd for several years and the best it ever got was maybe 20 down the freeway on flat ground. I always took it with a grain of salt when guys were making claims of 21-22 mpg with a full size 4wd truck.

I had a Tahoe with a 4.8 for a couple years and it got 17 at the very, very best. My current 1/2 ton standard cab has a 5.3 and the best you can milk out of it is 16. I drove a 1/2 ton 2 wheel drive Chevy with a 4.3 and a 5spd for several years and the best it ever got was maybe 20 down the freeway on flat ground. I always took it with a grain of salt when guys were making claims of 21-22 mpg with a full size 4wd truck.
The 2009 150 with the small v-8 is Stihl giving me 19-21 with 80K on it. That's even with a full load of wood on it. Used the new 250 yesterday and 15 was tops. Hoping it gets a little better after I get some miles on it.
EDIT: Both are full size 8' beds.

The only way you'll get 20 plus out of a modern Chevy 1500 or truck based SUV is (as you said) on the freeway on level ground at modest speed.

ONE time I got 21 with my 07 Suburban, I believe going across Louisiana, Texas, and Oklahoma. Otherwise 17-19 freeway and 16.5 general driving. I bought both my 07 Suburban and Yukon gently used and personally put over 200K on each. Still have the Yukon-it is still going at 327K but is retired from daily driving. Was going to convert it to sort of a wood cutting/fishing/hunting rig this summer to save wear and tear on the newer truck.

I do know a few older guys who drive 50-55 on the highway and get pretty good mileage. But who has time for that!

Latest posts

Back