Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Finally got the wood in the house today. Here's some pics of how we get the wood in the house. Borrowed my friends mulch bucket which helped cut the number of trips.
We had a wood door installed when we built the house. One treadmill to bring the wood under the deck, down a chute to another treadmill. Then down a plywood ramp to the bump out.
View attachment 949434
View attachment 949435
View attachment 949436
View attachment 949439
Then we take the lower treadmill down and fill up the box and stack two rows that are 7' × 7'.
View attachment 949438
This should hold us well into March unless winter gets a whole lot colder.
Nice setup and the wood looks great. :rock2: I'm seeing ash?

Other than about one week it's been mild here, a bit damp but very mild. I reckon I've burnt about 25% less than normal so far.
Warm? Here in Colorado it's absolutely ridiculous. Normally we'd have been buried in 8--12" snow several times by now. But nope, just a dusting twice that melts away in a few hours. It rarely gets below freezing overnight. Been burning much less wood than normal. With the high winds, we've been holding our breath that no one gets stupid with outdoor burning (prohibited, but that don't stop stupid). 41 degrees with 13% humidity at the moment. Beginning to wonder if we'll have winter this year.

Warm? Here in Colorado it's absolutely ridiculous. Normally we'd have been buried in 8--12" snow several times by now. But nope, just a dusting twice that melts away in a few hours. It rarely gets below freezing overnight. Been burning much less wood than normal. With the high winds, we've been holding our breath that no one gets stupid with outdoor burning (prohibited, but that don't stop stupid). 41 degrees with 13% humidity at the moment. Beginning to wonder if we'll have winter this year.
Same up here in SE Wyoming.

Well, we are back into the low 30s and windy today, so it does not feel warm, but the last few days were warm.

We have not had anything more than snowflakes yet, but I think there is snow up at my property.

I grew up one County South of here (in Westchester County) and when I was a kid, we got snow in Nov or Dec and it stayed until near the end of March every year.

I remember my Dad making gentleman's bets with people whether it would melt by Aril 1.

When we shoveled the driveway, we would always try to make a big snow pile on one side or the other so my brother and I could build a snow fort. Amazing what we used to do before anyone had any of these waterproof boots, gloves or clothes!

You cutting them about 24”?
I started the other day cutting my normal 16-18" guesstimate, but switched targeting more like 20" since it splits pretty easy. I just went to measure a few out of curiosity and they range from 15-21".

The stack is roughly 150 ft^3 so it is a bit over a cord.

Was 62 degrees this afternoon. Cooled off now to 53. But RH is still holding at 1%.

Outrageous weather, the new normal.
1% humidity, I don't know what that feels like lol.
33 degrees and 72% here, that's pretty normal.
They are saying 37 degrees tomorrow, so with the snow melting it could be a little higher humidity.

Early Christmas present today. A farmer friend called me this morning and asked if I wanted some firewood (silly question & he knows it) said he had a tree down from the recent high winds. I got out to his farm and he told me where to find the wood. Drove out across 3 fields to the edge of his timber and discovered an enormous red oak laying in his fence line. Him & his son had already cut everything that was under 28" and had it piled up so I could just pull up beside it and load. Got three loads and there's still about a pickup load laying there. His farm is only about 9 miles from my place. Merry Christmas!! 😃

Attachments

• KIMG0082.JPG
    KIMG0082.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
Back