Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here it is.

All old steel but still quite sound. I put a new tire & wheel on it a few years back when the ancient tire--it was hard & well cured, covered in checks--and valve finally gave way. General, the brand name.

I appreciate good tools.

Attachments

• DSC02831.JPG
    DSC02831.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 27
  • DSC02832.JPG
    DSC02832.JPG
    5 MB · Views: 26
  • DSC02833.JPG
    DSC02833.JPG
    5.5 MB · Views: 26
  • DSC02834.JPG
    DSC02834.JPG
    5.7 MB · Views: 26

Attachments

• 703.jpg
    703.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 34
  • 706.jpg
    706.jpg
    100.5 KB · Views: 33
  • 709.jpg
    709.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 33
  • 20220131_194041.jpg
    20220131_194041.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 34
A week or so ago I posted the pic of some Chestnut Oak that dry rotted from the inside, with the caption, what wood is this? By the way, it burns like crap. It actually BURNS but little heat and kind of slow. Here are a couple pics of healthy Chestnut Oals from the same section of woods. First pic is repeat of the old post. The oval pointed leaves are the Chestnut Oak.
qWAe3zZ.jpg

vFr7NFI.jpg

OoZm9gF.jpg

ig8fqQV.jpg

sePoXQT.jpg
that dead tree looks like sassafras

Here it is.

All old steel but still quite sound. I put a new tire & wheel on it a few years back when the ancient tire--it was hard & well cured, covered in checks--and valve finally gave way. General, the brand name.

I appreciate good tools.
That's like the grandfather of today's wheelbarrows, nice looking wheelbarrow you got there sir :numberone:

Here it is.

I appreciate good tools.
Real work horse there!

Here it is.

I appreciate good tools.
That is a grand daddy - good to see it still working.

On the nuclear energy front, I have a good friend who's a brilliant engineer, and he says nuclear energy is our best bet. David knows his stuff--there's a number of patents on his work, though I think Hughes or some similar oil/gas giant owns them.

I'd be inclined to agree with him, except for the numerous nuclear accidents we've lived through. And, I worked to clean up an oil spill on the St. Lawrence river in 1976. At the time I thought: If we can't manage oil, a simple 100-yr-old technology, without phucking up the environment, what chance do we have with nuclear energy that troubles the world far more than an oil slick.

The weakness of nuclear energy in my simplified view is the human component. 1. The weak construction supervisor who takes a bribe to let a bad run of concrete get through.
2. The guys who are paid to keep tight eyes on the control room gauges but who are taking a nap or watching internet p-o-r--n when the whiz-bang-o-meter indicator shoots thru the roof.

Anyone in the MD area interested in an old Ford N series. One of my friends said any fair offer takes it, has a decent mower on it. Hasn't run in a good long while, but ran when parked.
agxwgOM.jpg

a4vQhC2.jpg

KLTTzG1.jpg
God, those were/are good machines. Simplest things in the world to work on, and they don't kick like a mule (my late father-in-law was kicked out of the barn by a mule and didn't want horse flesh on the place as a result). The tires look good on that one. I'd love to own such a thing, but with 3.2 acres just can't make it work.

Here it is.

I appreciate good tools.
That thing owes you nothing for sure great relic still running.

overeducated jackasses from hell...………...don't worry,they wont pay your bills,,just demand what you do…………..
Having property, friends, and family in NY where I spend several weeks a year, I keep up on the news there.

This crazy idea that NY wants to outlaw wood-burning heat comes from the arcane language of some state legislative thing that in no way even suggests outlawing wood-burning.

Prompted by a thread elsewhere on AS, I read the act. It DOES NOT suggest that wood-burning be prohibited. It DOES speak about the DESIRE to reduce polluting particulate matter (I forget the proper wording)--which means that those writing the act would like to see more efficient wood-burning appliances become more widespread (as opposed to old, inefficient fire-in-a-steel-box outfits, or smoke-belching fireplaces). Also I seem to remember that goals for such policy were like 15 years from now.

NY STATE AND ALL OF ITS LEGISLATORS ARE NOT TRYING TO OUTLAW WOOD-BURNING. NOT AT ALL. PLEASE STOP BEATING THIS STUPID, DEAD HORSE.

Thanks, I needed to get that off my chest.

Having property, friends, and family in NY where I spend several weeks a year, I keep up on the news there.

This crazy idea that NY wants to outlaw wood-burning heat comes from the arcane language of some state legislative thing that in no way even suggests outlawing wood-burning.

Prompted by a thread elsewhere on AS, I read the act. It DOES NOT suggest that wood-burning be prohibited. It DOES speak about the DESIRE to reduce polluting particulate matter (I forget the proper wording)--which means that those writing the act would like to see more efficient wood-burning appliances become more widespread (as opposed to old, inefficient fire-in-a-steel-box outfits, or smoke-belching fireplaces). Also I seem to remember that goals for such policy were like 15 years from now.

NY STATE AND ALL OF ITS LEGISLATORS ARE NOT TRYING TO OUTLAW WOOD-BURNING. NOT AT ALL. PLEASE STOP BEATING THIS STUPID, DEAD HORSE.

Thanks, I needed to get that off my chest.

So at least from what I had read and what Walt had posted it's not illegal in upstate New York but the actual city itself and the surrounding suburbs including some rural areas outside of the city it has been banned outright. However it's not the whole state overreach all the same.

a
nd then your food will cost more because so many farm fields were used for solar/wind energy generation!
Mike,

I used to think the same thing, that agricultural land is precious and that every housing development or any other such use was a crime, against our interest.

But having operated a good-sized agricultural operation for a number of years, I learned different. Every year that I grew 300-some acres of wheat (and other small grains to some degree) I went to the county office of the branch of the USDA that managed such stuff (alphabet-soup acronyms that I'd have to drag paper out of my files downstairs to remember). I got paid money NOT TO HARVEST so many acres of wheat because we are/were oversupplied. This system is still in place.
Virtually every major farm commodity in the US is managed this way. Cotton and peanuts were the big money-makers in my Oklahoma county back in the 1980s-90s. Solar energy is not competing in any real way with agricultural production. If anything, it's a good way to make marginal acreage pay.

I like seeing the acres and acres of photo-voltaic harvest everywhere I see that stuff. "Free" energy from the sun. I know all the arguments about how destructive the mining of minerals necessary for photo-voltaic cells can be. But anyone worried about that should spend more time observing the environmental costs of oil & gas. I lived in oil/gas country, have photos of the crew who drilled a well on our 160 acre home place, have a good friend who makes his living as a small-time producer, have had to go head-to-head with producers who damaged land that I operated on, have seen every kind of damage from oil and gas. Oh, and by the way, there were no earthquakes in Oklahoma back in the day. I joked once (1982?) with my friend in the business--I said, maybe all this oil we're pulling out of the earth has been lubricating the ground beneath us, maybe there's a cost to that. Said it as a joke. But apparently there was something to it.

Every form of energy comes at a cost. Nuclear, wind, solar, oil/gas--there's no free lunch.

I worked in our local Nuclear plant. Safest place I have ever worked. Most of my family has worked there or in Darlington and still have lots of family who work there. It's far more dangerous driving there than it is working there. I also worked in a gas refinery, most dangerous place I have ever worked. Very good safety record but was a total house of cards. Built in 1954, leaking fittings everywhere, most inefficient place I have ever seen and would never work there again. You fellas living in Michigan are aware of this little slice of heaven. I worked in this area. I knew a guy who wore a gas mask as soon as he drove onto the worksite. Wore it all day long. https://www.atlasobscura.com/places/chemical-valley
We have a hard enough time keeping a truck full of monkeys contained :laughing:.

Not that I'm anti nuclear power per se.

So at least from what I had read and what Walt had posted it's not illegal in upstate New York but the actual city itself and the surrounding suburbs including some rural areas outside of the city it has been banned outright. However it's not the whole state overreach all the same.
Please link to some reputable source for that. If there were such a prohibition it would be HUGE NEWS. I'm pretty sure no such prohibition has been enacted. Let me know if I'm wrong because I'd raise holy hell.

Many places have restrictions on what kind of wood-burner is allowed. Here in Colorado, in Denver at least, they have days when wood-burning is prohibited unless you have a modern, engineered stove (EPA or whatever). Which is understandable. Get up here where I live and observe the gray/brown cloud hanging over the sky below us and you'll understand why smoke-dragon wood-burners are not encouraged.

With my fireplace insert and free-standing soapstone stove (bought new 11 years ago, so they're engineered to burn clean) I can burn any day of the week because these outfits produce very little smoke.

Some upstate locales have banned outdoor boilers but clearly not all. I had a lot of ash to get rid of a few years ago and gave a friend about 10 cord for his outdoor boiler. I cut it into bolts which he burned whole--doesn't believe in splitting!

Indoor wood fired boilers haven't been affected yet. I dropped a PU load off oak off at my parents' next door neighbor. It was oddly shaped stuff that would be fine for his indoor boiler but pretty much useless in the fireplace for which I cut.

Eight years ago NY was supporting development of high efficiency pellet stoves. https://www.dailyfreeman.com/2014/0...initiative-to-state-build-wood-heat-industry/

They have also been clamping down on the types of stoves and efficiency. https://www.dailyfreeman.com/2014/0...-environmental-protection-agency-in-9-months/

A nearby town had a ban in place on outdoor boilers... not sure if they rescinded it. https://www.dailyfreeman.com/2010/06/28/rosendale-wood-boiler-law-has-smooth-first-season/ and later https://www.dailyfreeman.com/2013/0...pervisor-jeanne-walsh-says-ny-law-sufficient/

So . . . fireplaces, woodburning in NYC and thereabout brings back a memory. 1973 I was working as skidder operator for Don Neuroth's logging operation in way upstate NY. Don was president of the NY state logging assoc. I seem to recall. Great guy and good operator.

Logging left behind a lot of tops. All of us here would salivate over what we left laying in the woods. I said, Don, why don't we load up a truckload of firewood and take it down to the city--this stuff would be worth a fortune in small amounts. He said, Can't do it. The Mafia controls firewood sales in NYC.

Pretty much everything I build goes to Bruce Power. The second largest nuclear power plant in the world. There is a nuclear standard that everything is made to. All the vendors need to be certified and we get audited. Basically a job goes like this. Produce shop drawings and send for approval and p-eng stamp. Order material. Receive materials and verify MTR. Then the processes, for example cut piece in saw, hold point for QC, machine part, hold point for QC etc. For internal testing plan, we cannot QC any of our own work or work we supervise. So even though I am a certified welding Inspector, I can't inspect most work we do as I am either the welder or the supervisor so third party inspection is required...blah, blah blah. Lol. Long story short is everything is inspected and inspected again and documented. Makes me feel a lot better about living so close to the site. After Fukushima, we spent a year building seismic bracing even though there is no fault line or appreciable earthquake activity anywhere in the area. Is it perfect? I don't know but there sure are herculean efforts to be safe.

Solar or wind power without a storage plan is useless.

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back