Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
svk as a cast iron pan king got a question for you. We got a new kitchen stove and it has a center grill burner perfect for playing around with. When I took out the old stove there was an old cast iron griddle that fell to the side of the stove for years and it was filthy from the years of hiding. I scrubbed off the grease and dust from it with hot water and a copper scrubber, no soap. I plan to use bacon grease to season it again but what is a good temp or is there something better. I was tempted to toss it int the OWB to clean it but not sure what it might do to it. Put some old hard drives in it last month and never saw them again, just one small piece of sheet metal.

Spent the weekend on the ice. Friday was mild and misty rain. Saturday was -30 overnight.
7a844c588fa7e9939f3d3eb7e0ae3467.jpg

Sent from my CLT-L04 using Tapatalk
Nice walleye!!!

I worked in nuclear for over 30 years. Strongly disagree about shoddy maintenance and inspection requirements. Also disagree with your assessment of the NRC.
Facts and basis?
sundance
3 mile island ring any bells? But honestly the Nuke community that was fostered by the Navy is about as safe a regime for Nuke power as you can get. but you can't stop human nature...no matter how hard you try there will be that one ding-a-ling who figures he can let it slip this time.

3 mile island ring any bells? But honestly the Nuke community that was fostered by the Navy is about as safe a regime for Nuke power as you can get. but you can't stop human nature...no matter how hard you try there will be that one ding-a-ling who figures he can let it slip this time.
Certainly. How does it relate to shoddy maintenance and inspection?

svk as a cast iron pan king got a question for you. We got a new kitchen stove and it has a center grill burner perfect for playing around with. When I took out the old stove there was an old cast iron griddle that fell to the side of the stove for years and it was filthy from the years of hiding. I scrubbed off the grease and dust from it with hot water and a copper scrubber, no soap. I plan to use bacon grease to season it again but what is a good temp or is there something better. I was tempted to toss it int the OWB to clean it but not sure what it might do to it. Put some old hard drives in it last month and never saw them again, just one small piece of sheet metal.
Do not throw it into the owb! If it overheats it will never take seasoning again.

Best advice is to get a yellow can of oven cleaner. Spray it with the oven cleaner and throw it in the garbage bag for a couple days. Then scrub it real good with steel wool, wash with soap and water and dry it immediately on the stove. Wipe it down with your choice of oil and season at 450 for an hour.

So the con of the vented helmet is the 1 in a million chance something can enter the vent and possibly pierce the skull??
The vents, of course, make the helmet cooler. But they also let in water, which means that they get the lowest electrical hazard rating. This is a ’con’ in a few situations.

Philbert

Do not throw it into the owb! If it overheats it will never take seasoning again.

Best advice is to get a yellow can of oven cleaner. Spray it with the oven cleaner and throw it in the garbage bag for a couple days. Then scrub it real good with steel wool, wash with soap and water and dry it immediately on the stove. Wipe it down with your choice of oil and season at 450 for an hour.
Really? I thought you could get CI red hot to burn off the grunge and get it back to original metal. I almost did that with one of mine. Glad I didn't now.

Really? I thought you could get CI red hot to burn off the grunge and get it back to original metal. I almost did that with one of mine. Glad I didn't now.
Cast iron cookware is made by melting cast iron then poured into a sand mold, the only fears i have of getting it glowing hot is cracking/warpage. I would just open the doors/windows and bake it at 425 for a couple hours after washing the big boogers and grease off it. Then if necessary re-season it.

No, if cast iron is heated too hot it will get what’s called “red scale” and will never hold seasoning again. I don’t know what temp that is, but it’s definitely a risk if put into a fire.

This is a common problem when people recover skillets that went through a house fire…50/50 chance of them being salvageable.

So the con of the vented helmet is the 1 in a million chance something can enter the vent and possibly pierce the skull??

I have that helmet. There is a hand size plate on the rear that slides rearward to close and forward to open the 6 vent holes. I'm sure his were open for the limb to stick in like that. Maybe close them in warm weather when felling trees? I'll probably forget by then.

I suggest to use white vinegar. Mix vinegar and water 50/50 and drop the pan in. Let set overnite or longer depending on how bad it is, and the use a SOS or Brillo pad to give it a good scrubbing. Throw on some baking soda to scrub with, that will neutralize the vinegar. Then re season. I usually set my pan in the oven and heat around 400 degrees. I will pour some oil on a paper towel and rub it on the pan while hot and stick back in the oven. I will do that several times until the pan starts turning black.

Latest posts

Back