Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
First post
Im 15, started selling firewood last summer, as my family owns a good chunk of property in the uinta mountains of utah that we run our cows on. Tons of beetle-kill lodgepole that makes great firewood. Its really bad how many dead trees are up there. I think im doing the little trees a favor by falling all the larger dead ones. We took our tractor and flatbed with sides on it, hauled it out in logs (we could get almost 5 chords at a time like this) took it home and i would go out and buck it whenever i got a chance. Sold almost 22 chords of wood and made enough to buy a set of tires for my truck and a new saw (Ms400c, really like it, was using grandpas ms460 before) planning on doing it again this summer. I really enjoy it and it sells way to well to not do it again.E051DEBC-CD63-41F8-AE87-2BCAECF000F5.jpegignore my brother stading inside that bark-buster. It wasnt running, i think. 02701390-977E-458C-AF9D-C3F22EA19D8F.jpeg20FFB6E2-26A4-433F-ADCD-C6085CEF3D02.jpegFD38A3D2-BF6B-404B-BB92-BE79F07E42A4.jpeg

First post
Im 15, started selling firewood last summer, as my family owns a good chunk of property in the uinta mountains of utah that we run our cows on. Tons of beetle-kill lodgepole that makes great firewood. Its really bad how many dead trees are up there. I think im doing the little trees a favor by falling all the larger dead ones. We took our tractor and flatbed with sides on it, hauled it out in logs (we could get almost 5 chords at a time like this) took it home and i would go out and buck it whenever i got a chance. Sold almost 22 chords of wood and made enough to buy a set of tires for my truck and a new saw (Ms400c, really like it, was using grandpas ms460 before) planning on doing it again this summer. I really enjoy it and it sells way to well to not do it again.View attachment 974757ignore my brother stading inside that bark-buster. It wasnt running, i think. View attachment 974755View attachment 974754View attachment 974756
Welcome to AS Mr King :).
I think you stumbled on what will be your favorite thread here, you should fit right in.
You certainly have a huge head start on where I was at by your age in regards to all things to do with firewood, by 15 I had only hauled and split it lol.
I'm Brett :)

Things looking up. Finished cut/pile the pile of limb wood this morning. A good cord of small 'logs' - 6" and less. Racked the area and lit off the pile of scrap. I had been putting in an hour or more a day trying to get back in shape afer the winter. First try I gave up before the hour was up dead tired. 4 stints later and while I'm not "back in battery" yet at least I wasn't dragging when I finished. That leaves 6 or more cord of Black Locust rounds to split pile but that is 'winter work'. It has been there for around 20 years and I 'nibble at it occasionally I took a drive out to my willow bush clearance project and found teh ground is solid enough to get in there. So out I go the next nice day which looks like maybe Monday to

First post
Im 15, started selling firewood last summer, as my family owns a good chunk of property in the uinta mountains of utah that we run our cows on. Tons of beetle-kill lodgepole that makes great firewood. Its really bad how many dead trees are up there. I think im doing the little trees a favor by falling all the larger dead ones. We took our tractor and flatbed with sides on it, hauled it out in logs (we could get almost 5 chords at a time like this) took it home and i would go out and buck it whenever i got a chance. Sold almost 22 chords of wood and made enough to buy a set of tires for my truck and a new saw (Ms400c, really like it, was using grandpas ms460 before) planning on doing it again this summer. I really enjoy it and it sells way to well to not do it again.View attachment 974757ignore my brother stading inside that bark-buster. It wasnt running, i think. View attachment 974755View attachment 974754View attachment 974756
And you're doing everything right: work on the saw at the kitchen table--check
Sharpen with a 2-in-1, check
Cut lodgepole pine for firewood . . . well, you'll find out about that. PINE WILL BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN.

A 400 is quite a saw for a 15 yr old! Hope you sell a lot of wood.
Yeah lol. Its light enough it doesn’t really bother me too bad. Its a fast little bugger though.
Smaller than the 460 though :).
Yeah, lighter and just as powerful i think. I run 25” bars and skip chiz not saftey on both and i really cant tell a difference in power other than the 400 spools up way faster.
Welcome to AS Mr King :).
I think you stumbled on what will be your favorite thread here, you should fit right in.
You certainly have a huge head start on where I was at by your age in regards to all things to do with firewood, by 15 I had only hauled and split it lol.
I'm Brett :)
Nice to meet ya brett! Thanks for the warm welcome. I wasn’t sure weather to post here or in the falling for firewood thread, but since a lot of the wood i sell is deadfall i figured this was good enough.

And you're doing everything right: work on the saw at the kitchen table--check
Sharpen with a 2-in-1, check
Cut lodgepole pine for firewood . . . well, you'll find out about that. PINE WILL BURN YOUR HOUSE DOWN.
It only sat there for its first day in my ownership lol. 2-in-1 is the best thing since sliced bread. Noone around here wants anything besides lodgepole, and i dont burn wood, we have a pellet stove. Ironic.

First post
And just in case it's not apparent, I'm kidding about the pine burning your house down. There's a persistent thing where many people believe pine is dangerous and will cause chimney fire.

I live south of you near Boulder CO, so we burn mucho pine around here.

And just in case it's not apparent, I'm kidding about the pine burning your house down. There's a persistent thing where many people believe pine is dangerous and will cause chimney fire.

Yeah i figured that lol. My grandma said wayyy back in the day that they used to only burn aspen trees. She said that it burned ok, but it would never clog up a chimney, burned really clean apparently.

Welcome to the scrounging thread. King at 15? Wow! Sounds like you have a good work ethic to put up 22 cord. That's a lot more than most casual users cut in a year. That will serve you well in life.
made enough to buy a set of tires for my truck and a new saw
Make sure you use some of that money for eye/ear protection and chaps. Better yet, put them on your Christmas list. I know you're invincible and all being 15, but eyes, ears, and legs don't repair themselves or grow back. They are definitely not as cool as a new set of tyres (right @Cowboy254?), but they are worth it.

Welcome to the scrounging thread. King at 15? Wow! Sounds like you have a good work ethic to put up 22 cord. That's a lot more than most casual users cut in a year. That will serve you well in life.

Make sure you use some of that money for eye/ear protection and chaps. Better yet, put them on your Christmas list. I know you're invincible and all being 15, but eyes, ears, and legs don't repair themselves or grow back. They are definitely not as cool as a new set of tyres (right @Cowboy254?), but they are worth it.
Thanks!

i got one of them husky helmets that has ear muffs and a face shield. I like it. I dont have any saw chaps though, i dont know that i could stand to wear them for very long. Dont they make pants that are designed to stop a saw?

You guys ever use them bark buster log splitters? Kinda scary when they are cranked up but they work good.
First off welcome King. I thought that was a barkbuster in you pic. Never used one. Not sure how it would work on a knotty oak piece. Yes the 400 is the cats meow. Keep up the good work. @Philbert might have the skinny on chainsaw pants.

The age old argument that is the result of poor maintenance of your fire box and chimney.

Keep it clean and you can burn whatever you want.

I love pine for a quick heat-up of the house

Sent while firmly grasping my Redline lubed Ram [emoji231]🛻

Thanks!

i got one of them husky helmets that has ear muffs and a face shield. I like it. I dont have any saw chaps though, i dont know that i could stand to wear them for very long. Dont they make pants that are designed to stop a saw?
I never wore chaps till this year. Wife bought me a pair for christmas because I cut by myself 90% of the time and I'm far enough away I won't get help I can't administer my self in the event of a serious injury. They seemed a little clunky at first but I don't really notice now. I'm 37 and haven't worn ear protection for anything. Guns,saws,work and I can show you the graphs from my yearly hearing tests to show the damage. I ware plugs most of the time now but the damage is done.

Latest posts

Back