Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Chainsaw protective pants are more common in Europe, and by climbers, who don’t want straps to snag, or get tangled in branches. They tend to be lighter than a combination of pants and chaps.

Advantages of chaps include lower cost; easy to share with others; you can take them off during breaks, etc.

Lots of arborist supply vendors sell chainsaw protective pants. If you want a really lightweight, cool pair, that still provide high end protection, it will cost a bit more. The Clogger ‘Zeros’ would be worth a look.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/clogger-zero-pants.345910/
Note that neither chaps or pants will provide any protection against the screw on your ‘Bark Buster’.

Philbert
I highly, highly doubt anyone with any kind of hygiene standards whatsoever wants to wear my chaps!

That does make it a bit easier, and normally safer than being in the woods.
Nice score.
What part of ohio, we had some light snow here late last night, but nothing on the ground this morning.
Ashtabula County, north eastern most county in the state. Lake Erie to the north, PA to the east. I live right in the snow belt - Lake Effect carries off of Erie and dumps right on my door step.

Ashtabula County, north eastern most county in the state. Lake Erie to the north, PA to the east. I live right in the snow belt - Lake Effect carries off of Erie and dumps right on my door step.
I know that area, just bought my little kubota b2620 about 45 south of there last summer, and a tilt trailer a little over an hr east of there.
We get a good amount of lake effect here in west Michigan, most people have no idea, you have it way worse than we do there though.
The wife and kids are in the NW corner right now visiting grandma, they should be leaving anytime now for home :).

I have chaps but can't stand them because I'm always climbing over stuff. Got paints through Bailey's Chainsaw.

They cost a lot more ... but I wear them ... so I guess they are worth it.

Started wearing them after I tore a little hole in my canvas paints, luckily just scratched the leg, but I figured I may not be so lucky the next time.

Been using saws for over 40 years and it was the first time I did that ... and hopefully the last time!

I have chaps but can't stand them because I'm always climbing over stuff. Got paints through Bailey's Chainsaw.

They cost a lot more ... but I wear them ... so I guess they are worth it.

Started wearing them after I tore a little hole in my canvas paints, luckily just scratched the leg, but I figured I may not be so lucky the next time.

Been using saws for over 40 years and it was the first time I did that ... and hopefully the last time!
How did you do that Mike.
I set my saw on my chaps one time with my leg up on a log, I didn't set the brake and it was barely spinning and it picked a bit of fiber out of my chaps. I think I posted a picture of it here, it was 3 or 4 yrs ago in the spring iirc, cutting at a buddies property for the veiw, it turned out nice anyway.

I know that area, just bought my little kubota b2360 about 45 south of there last summer, and a tilt trailer a little over an hr east of there.
We get a good amount of lake effect here in west Michigan, most people have no idea, you have it way worse than we do there though.
The wife and kids are in the NW corner right now visiting grandma, they should be leaving anytime now for home :).

Kubota dealer? Was it Bortnick's by chance?

I got another 2 free loads of wood from my new found honey hole. This from a tree business in a decent sized city about an 1:15 south of me. He is happy to get rid of it and refused payment, but I felt so guilty I snuck 2 cases of beer in his shop while he was loading me. When he saw that it made his morning. There's more than one form of payment 😉

I love it when folks actually post about scrounging firewood in this thread! Thanks!

I have the earlier version of the husky pants. What I don't like about them is they feel as though you are wearing cheap fitting snow pants, but they can be way more comfortable than jeans and chaps in the summer and they don't get snagged as bad as chaps.
I did not like those either, which 'soured me' on the general idea of chainsaw protective pants for a while. Fit is also more important that with chaps. The opportunity to try the Cloggers changed that. There are other 'upscale' brands as well: no substitute for seeing them in person and trying them on.

That makes sense, I hadn't thought about that, not that I want to wear someone else's sweaty garb though I do understand lol.

I highly, highly doubt anyone with any kind of hygiene standards whatsoever wants to wear my chaps!

This raises an important issue with any shared PPE. Gloves and safety glasses are inexpensive and should be 'personal' (individual). Some things, like helmets, face shields, and respirator face pieces, can be sanitized between users, by using commercially available chemicals sold by the PPE manufacturers, such as wipes or dips (https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media...nt-ppe-tips-for-non-healthcare-workplaces.pdf).

Most clothing can be laundered. ***But chaps are a special issue due to the protective materials used *** Most chaps sold in the USA will say 'hand wash and line dry only', which is time consuming and difficult to do effectively. STIHL chaps sold in the USA (NOT Canada!) will say 'machine wash and dry' - do NOT use bleach (!), which makes them a good choice for shared PPE by groups or businesses. The Clogger guys told me that most of their stuff can be machine washed and line dried. Heat and bleach can damage the various protective fibers used.

I have laundered the chaps for some of my volunteer groups many times, at laundromats, or with home, front-loading washing machines. They come out surprisingly clean, even after sweat, mud, cow pastures, etc. Nice thing to do with your personal gear too, even if it is worn outside of your regular clothing!

Did I tell you that a friend of ours if the guy who does all the FEMA organization for tree work here in michigan. I guess they mainly use one group of volunteers who are primarily retirees. I dropped a large poplar at his place that had blown over in a windstorm, it was quite the mess, can't imagine dealing with hundreds of the same type of trees :rare2:. Obviously you take them one at a time(when they aren't inter-tangled), but storm damage sure can be dangerous.
Storm clean up has its own sets of issues, as does each type of cutting: logging, arborist work, firewood, etc. I have worked with a number of different volunteer groups, in a variety of states. There are a variety of skill levels among volunteers, and the key safety thing is matching skill levels to the tasks at hand, even if that means walking away and leaving it for someone else.

Philbert

Got more bucked and split today. There are a good number of logs left that I may want to get milled if I can arrange that before I go all firewood crazy on them.
20220320_170327.jpg20220320_164951.jpg20220320_154821.jpg20220320_152452.jpg
Just missed a couple nails here. Actually not sure, that may have been a tree service cut, so THEY may have just missed them.
20220320_154745.jpg

Back