Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saying the pics of mine aren't walnut ? I gathered nuts from this tree before it got damaged and I had to fell it .
Well that’s a relief. Thought I was slipping!!
I hadn’t read everything and thought you were trying to id it! Everything about the pic screamed walnut but shade of darkness. That’s probably my phone. All the bowls I turn from walnut look like a sassafras color in pics.
Since were on the walnut train here has anyone ever turned a bowl from green walnut?
My gut tells me it would split like crazy but I’ve heard people have done it. Never been brave enough myself.
I have a ton of it right now so if I get caught up I might touch one in quickly just to see how it behaves. Wouldn’t be out too much time if it wound up in the wood stove that way!

The brown mystery wood is dark when split wet, but lightens you considerably when it dries. Here's a few more pics. Any guesses?View attachment 977032View attachment 977033View attachment 977034View attachment 977035View attachment 977036
Having a hard time posting on this so I hope I haven’t posted it 15 times! Two dead giveaways for Walnut is dirt and the stringy bark. Sanding that stuff leaves a brown cloud in the wood shop that would send AOC into hysterics.

Here is a simple walnut bowl my wife wanted. On my phone it is a dead ringer for sassafras color wise.
The other two pics are a mystery wood.
cut it when the leaves were off. Bark rough and deep with a look like poplar. Near impossible to split. A 12” piece nearly stalled my splitter that splits 24” hickory routinely. It didn’t really split. It was more like tearing and shredding. Works beautifully in the shop. The grain almost dances like a flame. 7C28E2A7-15BB-473C-98D0-4907FF741E49.pngFFF8E848-ACB8-46B9-A318-1CFF7B446BBA.pngD222D30B-84E9-419A-BBEC-E8B148FE0D87.png

Another firewood piece of BW same stringy bark
This is the pic that makes me thing Chestnut Oak. Have never seen Black Walnut this furled.
He also said it was heavy. Walnut is usually pretty light.
It is similar to black walnut, but I've cut everything from fresh to punky HVBW and I don't believe this is. There are HVBW logs still in the piles and this is different. Not impossible, but I'm saying very unlikely.

I checked a few pieces this morning and didn't see any medullary rays common to oak. That may not rule out chestnut oak though.

The wood is heavier than sassafras but could be the moisture content - so walnut or oak family is not out of the question.

Maybe a few more pics tonight. After that it goes on the mixed hardwood stack and will get burned no matter what it is. Thanks guys!

Well I made another trip to the campground today and was nearly scraping my hitch coming home. The 365 with a 24 and the 555 got a good workout ! This oak is wet and heavy

Attachments

• IMG_20220329_140326729_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220329_140326729_HDR.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20220329_113352826_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220329_113352826_HDR.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220329_161026348_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220329_161026348_HDR.jpg
    4.1 MB · Views: 3
20220329_175905.jpgAbout half way through the pile of tops I was working on. 4910 is starting to wake up. Theres a 16" bar and loop of .325 stihl RSP in the garage waiting for my 8pin rim to show up friday.20220329_175921.jpgStill alot of good wood in the other half of the pile. Temps in the low 40s today hope they stay that way so I can get more done.20220328_075043.jpgThis is what'son the edge of the corn field so far with enough Rounds in the woods to double the size of the pile. Just need to get the tractor up there and get them out.

Here is a simple walnut bowl my wife wanted. On my phone it is a dead ringer for sassafras color wise.
The other two pics are a mystery wood.
cut it when the leaves were off. Bark rough and deep with a look like poplar. Near impossible to split. A 12” piece nearly stalled my splitter that splits 24” hickory routinely. It didn’t really split. It was more like tearing and shredding. Works beautifully in the shop. The grain almost dances like a flame. View attachment 977119View attachment 977120View attachment 977121
20220329_180456.jpg
Your mystery wood could be gum of some variety. Kind of matches the way this black gum split after I beat the hell out of it with the isocor. The rest is going back in the woods.

2nd day at the 'old house' scrounge. Still cutting nothing but suckers off the big tree. end of 2.5 hours today after 3 hrs the other day and I have 3/4 of the big tree cleared of bottom growth. Measured the the big one. 14' an a few inches so it is doable with my 441. I do NOT like felling trees that big. This one has huge limbs coming off all sides of it so no sure yet which way it wants to go and I'm not about to try anything fancy and make it go elsewhere. Not bad scrounge and only 10.5 miles from the house. Estimate around 7 cord from the two trees plus more from two other small trees. Lots and lots of scut work cleaning up the area around the trees - lots of dead fall and some kind of low growing shrub with 8'+ branches laying flat on teh ground.

Back