Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That will keep you busy for a few hrs ;).
I have a coworker whis husband is going threw chemo. They live a block away from those piles. I've decided that's going to be there 23/24 wood if I get the ok on it. She said there good for next year. But he's not gona be in any shape to do wood for awhile so I'm gona fill there racks and take what's left. I've got no rack space left at the house, the stuff on the edge of the corn field will be stacked on skids till I have room. Someone needs it more then me.

I have a coworker whis husband is going threw chemo. They live a block away from those piles. I've decided that's going to be there 23/24 wood if I get the ok on it. She said there good for next year. But he's not gona be in any shape to do wood for awhile so I'm gona fill there racks and take what's left. I've got no rack space left at the house, the stuff on the edge of the corn field will be stacked on skids till I have room. Someone needs it more then me.
I know how that is, the only thing I want to bring home is dead that can be sold, or wood/brush I'm getting paid to remove. I need to keep the mess down here, if that's possible lol.
Most likely I'll be dropping/pushing over a mulberry today, not sure if I'll burn it all, or save the bigger pieces. It's a 9-10" tree iirc, but I have a lot of wood here and I don't need anymore piles o_O.
Good of you to help them out, sounds like they could really use it.
Just thought about this when reading "23/24 wood" and thought, how many people are thinking of their heating for 23/24 right now. Even though I've said it myself many times in this thread, never really hit me like that. Good to be ahead of the game for sure :).
Edit; after hitting "post", I decided I'll split the bigger pieces of the mulberry and put it in the barn for 23/24, no need to waste it.

I agree it's not walnut, but I'm not sure it's chestnut.
I've had it here before whatever it is.
My guess is Catalpa.

The pics resemble the Russian Olive I cut from my backyard & processed into lathe wood about 30 yrs ago. I don't remember what the bark looked like. The lathe work is still waiting?! The color looks like Catalpa which I also milled into lathe wood. It does not look like walnut.

Morning fellers, scrounge season is about to start here. Mitch invited me out to the farm and pointed out a number of trees on the ground that he would like gone. He said not to drag the small stuff too far but to just pile it and he would either burn it where it lay or pick up with the bobcat and make bigger piles.

We had a change go through and have strong southerly winds atm. I thought this fallen peppermint was in the clear.

31st Mar 3.jpg

One dead stem and one that will stihl be green.

31st Mar 1.jpg

Unfortunately, I was wrong about it being in the clear, it had this leaning over it and waving around in the wind.

31st Mar 2.jpg

As I stood and watched, a small branch fell off which confirmed that I didn't want to be working under it so I went home empty handed. Might be a couple of days before it is safe to get to.

too dark for a photo but Jordan and his two colleagues just delivered a load of wood and another should come tomorrow. Only Conifer but all helps with the gas bills (tariff increases by 50% tomorrow!) As I said, when I saw the snow blowing about outside I thought of them....I was sat in the house at 23C and two stoves roaring! Delivered to the house courtesy of the UK version of this place (a quiet backwater by comparison) and it's tip site directory.

Thanks guys 👍.

I know how that is, the only thing I want to bring home is dead that can be sold, or wood/brush I'm getting paid to remove. I need to keep the mess down here, if that's possible lol.
Most likely I'll be dropping/pushing over a mulberry today, not sure if I'll burn it all, or save the bigger pieces. It's a 9-10" tree iirc, but I have a lot of wood here and I don't need anymore piles o_O.
Good of you to help them out, sounds like they could really use it.
Just thought about this when reading "23/24 wood" and thought, how many people are thinking of their heating for 23/24 right now. Even though I've said it myself many times in this thread, never really hit me like that. Good to be ahead of the game for sure :).
Edit; after hitting "post", I decided I'll split the bigger pieces of the mulberry and put it in the barn for 23/24, no need to waste it.
Definitely good to help someone out, good going, hope you get the tree.

I'm 4-6 weeks from last fire of the winter and should end up with around 6-6.5 cord left. If winters are mild like this one, that's 22/23, 23/24 done for me and for mum. If we have a harsh winter them I need another 2-3 cord. I've already noticed a significant increase in scrounger competition, due I'm sure to our soaring energy prices, so I'm glad I'm well ahead!

The pics resemble the Russian Olive I cut from my backyard & processed into lathe wood about 30 yrs ago. I don't remember what the bark looked like. The lathe work is still waiting?! The color looks like Catalpa which I also milled into lathe wood. It does not look like walnut.
What's up neighbor, been a while :hi:

too dark for a photo but Jordan and his two colleagues just delivered a load of wood and another should come tomorrow. Only Conifer but all helps with the gas bills (tariff increases by 50% tomorrow!) As I said, when I saw the snow blowing about outside I thought of them....I was sat in the house at 23C and two stoves roaring! Delivered to the house courtesy of the UK version of this place (a quiet backwater by comparison) and it's tip site directory.

Thanks guys 👍.
So your gas bills just doubled :oops:.
Definitely good to help someone out, good going, hope you get the tree.

I'm 4-6 weeks from last fire of the winter and should end up with around 6-6.5 cord left. If winters are mild like this one, that's 22/23, 23/24 done for me and for mum. If we have a harsh winter them I need another 2-3 cord. I've already noticed a significant increase in scrounger competition, due I'm sure to our soaring energy prices, so I'm glad I'm well ahead!
James was the one giving wood away, this time.
I offered my neighbor a bunch of semi punky stuff, he said he may get it next week, that was a couple weeks ago now. This is the same neighbor I've given wood to in the past, he told me he'd be happy to help with wood for his place, never stops by when the saw or splitter is going. I wonder if that will change when our prices go up more.

Managed to get the mulberry pushed over and cut up, tossed all the branches on the forks and hualed them to the bonfire, then split the rounds and put them in the woodshed. I even found a round of black locust to split and a couple dead branches I cut off one out front to clean the look up a bit. I now have 5.25 out of the 11 rows for 23/24, depending on what I need to finish the season out, won't be long now and we'll be done. 30 for the low tomorrow though.

20220331_120823.jpg

Latest posts

Back