Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s great Mike! Most places here still don’t have much ammo or limit purchases.

Had a pretty nice red fir at work this week 86A824A6-48DD-46DF-9B17-587666B6ED19.jpegGot a 33’ & 25’ log out of base and a 33’ and 10’ out of each fork9463343D-D38D-40C8-B171-15F262DA74AF.jpeg902B71F6-52F8-4F64-90CB-AE4E97FA3CF5.jpegBoss will mill some of it, rest will be firewood.

Attachments

• 517B5ECA-42CA-4FEB-984E-AE320A097BCE.jpeg
    517B5ECA-42CA-4FEB-984E-AE320A097BCE.jpeg
    4.4 MB · Views: 0
That’s great Mike! Most places here still don’t have much ammo or limit purchases.

Had a pretty nice red fir at work this week View attachment 1003690Got a 33’ & 25’ log out of base and a 33’ and 10’ out of each forkView attachment 1003698View attachment 1003704Boss will mill some of it, rest will be firewood.
A beautiful stick Nate! Gotta love them big solid snags. Im envious to say the least! 👍 Looks like it made "fir" a dandy firewood scrounge! 😂 Also, being that its Stihl sound enough to mill. 🤔 Looks like a ✌️ for ☝️ deal to me, or maybe three for one if you count that school marm! 🤣😂👍

Ah but it was still good. Black Locust does not rot. I burned some last winter that I cut around 20 years ago - sill solid as the day I split it.
I'd love to hear from people who have had a problem with black locust rotting. I have had this problem with the BL trees on my farm. They grow all over. 90% die before they hit 12" diameter. Most BL I have ever seen does not rot, but the ones I have the best access to seem to. Still gives btus in the wood stove, but significantly less. Easier for the kids to carry though : - )

They are supposed to limit ammo purchases, but sometimes count bulk purchases as one box. For example, a box of 500 22 is supposed to be = to 10 boxes, but these did not have 10 individual boxes so they counted them as 1. Also, the Remington HP were in a bucket of 1,400. Also the 10box - box of trap loads was only counted as one box ... was to my benefit.

I was lucky to leave with what I had. Most at the checkout don't understand it, and the web site is not consistent either (says you can buy 5 buckets of 1,400!!!)

I'd love to hear from people who have had a problem with black locust rotting. I have had this problem with the BL trees on my farm. They grow all over. 90% die before they hit 12" diameter. Most BL I have ever seen does not rot, but the ones I have the best access to seem to. Still gives btus in the wood stove, but significantly less. Easier for the kids to carry though : - )
I see them rot, but it's not the norm.
I'm guessing it's the ones that die with the bark on, then rot from the center.
Black locust is one of my favorites, glad I have a lot of it :).

They are supposed to limit ammo purchases, but sometimes count bulk purchases as one box. For example, a box of 500 22 is supposed to be = to 10 boxes, but these did not have 10 individual boxes so they counted them as 1. Also, the Remington HP were in a bucket of 1,400. Also the 10box - box of trap loads was only counted as one box ... was to my benefit.

I was lucky to leave with what I had. Most at the checkout don't understand it, and the web site is not consistent either (says you can buy 5 buckets of 1,400!!!)
The ammo situation across this country is very concerning, and to me also scary! I've got a pretty decent stock up of multiple different cartridges. However, Is there a such thing as to much ammo?🤔 Not in my opinion! That is why I've also been slowly building up on reloading equipment. I pretty much have everything I need for five different cartridges except PRIMERS!!! Have any of you guys tried finding primers these days? Good luck! Scary indeed!

Three of my Grandkids enjoyed their trip to Cabela's yesterday (East Hartford, CT), and we got shotgun shells and 22 ammo. However, they would not sell me the Accurate 4350 powder (got blocked at the register). Seems it has been recalled.

It is about 70 miles each way, but the truck got over 23 MGP with numerous traffic jams in both directions. It is the closest Cabela's to me (the ones in NY are over 4 hours away), but at least it was an adventure for the kids and I got more ammo than I was expecting, 12 boxes of shotgun trap loads, 3-5pack boxes of saboted slugs (that I could not find last fall) and 2,400 rounds of 22.
cabelas hasn't been the same since bass pro guy bought them out. Other then the mounts amd what not, we just run 20 minutes to bass pro instead of the hour ish trip up to cabelas anymore. I am impressed with the amount of ammo they let you leave with.
The ammo situation across this country is very concerning, and to me also scary! I've got a pretty decent stock up of multiple different cartridges. However, Is there a such thing as to much ammo?🤔 Not in my opinion! That is why I've also been slowly building up on reloading equipment. I pretty much have everything I need for five different cartridges except PRIMERS!!! Have any of you guys tried finding primers these days? Good luck! Scary indeed!
It's sad situation. I own a bunch of magnum rifles that I don't have anymore primers to reload. Low on some powders, don't have any of others. Been slowly trying new loads. It's such a pain anymore. Never reloaded 9mm, shot shells, or anything .223 as it was cheaper to buy it in bulk. I have a rifle chambered in .458 socom that calls for a large pistol magnum primer, non existent around here. I've been told that a regular cci large rifle primer is the "same" as the large pistol magnum primer. Have yet to try it, as I'm low on large rifle primers as well. Been slowly getting a box here and there when I find stock.
I have a decent stock of ammo, but not like I used to. No more 500-1000 round range days. Just enough to keep proficient. Sad times, something has gotta give here soon.

On a lighter note. Most of you know how much of a cheap arse I am. Picked up these cab and frame last night. Have a good f-350 title. Time for cummins swap 2.0 to start. (After the escape is all finished.) Have 80% of what I need to complete the truck. Figure about a year till it's done and back on the road. After that's done I need to make a hard decision, about what I'm doing with my 3 70's era ford pickups. 2 of them are runners, but need a bunch of tlc. The third has a very good frame but cab is in pore shape. At any rate I need to get that down to which one I want to keep, and at that point I may get rid of the 96. Life would be so much easier if newer trucks didn't cost what I paid for my house..... and ford had cummins engines in them already. 😉

Attachments

• 20220717_191619.jpg
    20220717_191619.jpg
    6 MB · Views: 0
Where you getting it at Jeff.
That's my local Ace Hardware in Iron River. I don't know if that's a good price, or expensive, as I haven't shopped around. We don't have a whole lot of stores around, so when I need something, I just buy it. But I asked what others are paying for the same, as I know prices can vary regionally.

I see them rot, but it's not the norm.
I'm guessing it's the ones that die with the bark on, then rot from the center.
Black locust is one of my favorites, glad I have a lot of it :).
It is one of my favorite woods period - firewood and woodworking. Im making some handles from locust for my brothers and Im going to be fuming them. If you use BL in your projects and haven't done it, I suggest it. Some fume gets an army green.. lots of fuming gets it about as dark as ebony, but still get the variation in grain -not like burning. Also glows in black light which can be used to great effect in projects. What a wood.

Haven't been on in a couple of days. You guys have been busy! I got the lawn mowed (most of it anyway) the other day, then went out to drop a standing dead maple that I had been eyeing. When I got out to it, I noticed three others. One was blown over in a wind storm a month ago or so, and three others that had had the tops blown/broken off a while ago, that were also dead. So, I dropped all three of them, then decided to clean up the one that was blown over in the wind as well. Started bucking them, then ran out of fuel. While I was refilling the saw, I realized that I should either pull them out of the woods with the Kubota or the side by side while whole, and buck them up while they're laying in the road, making my life easier. So, that's what I'll do in the next few days.

View attachment 1003656
View attachment 1003657
View attachment 1003658
View attachment 1003659
View attachment 1003660
View attachment 1003661

The lawn. Didn't look too bad, even if I do say so myself.

View attachment 1003662
View attachment 1003663

And then FINALLY, a beer! :)

View attachment 1003664
nice setting JPJ! :yes:
:givebeer:

I thought the same thing about the spindles... and then one day he told me we needed a new bolt to hold the blade on. That puzzled me as I didn't recall bolts... only nuts on the spindles. When I looked at the spindle the treaded section was broken right off! That was a WTF moment! LOL
:surprised3:

"WHAM-M!"

A good day off today! Fishing across the bay from camp. The Bull Buck and I were catching Kings and Halibut while the bears were digging clams and candle fish on the beach! We're all eating well! 👍😂. Good thing I brought my boat! 🏴‍☠️ View attachment 1003774View attachment 1003775View attachment 1003776View attachment 1003777Cut Safe, stay sharp, and be aware! 👍
great AK pix, KK! i can hear/smell the salmon steaks frying from here. thanks for posting them up. awesome to see such salmon 'first hand!' or, well... close :)
👍

when did u say your next gtg is? lol

:givebeer:

A good day off today! Fishing across the bay from camp. The Bull Buck and I were catching Kings and Halibut while the bears were digging clams and candle fish on the beach! We're all eating well! 👍😂. Good thing I brought my boat! 🏴‍☠️ View attachment 1003774View attachment 1003777Cut Safe, stay sharp, and be aware! 👍
Was on the island about 20 years ago for a 10 day fishing adventure went in September for silvers Chiniak area but travel around a bit Mack’s sporting goods was the shop at the time best time of my life . Your living a great life keep it going !!

Back