Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I see I missed about 25 pages in the last week. If anyone quoted me and I didn’t answer please give it a bump and I’ll try to respond.

at least u were spared those pages i got behind on and din't even post...
Hard to keep up in this thread. I have to skip over most posts.

If only there was a thread that focused on firewood, and how to scrounge it . . .

Philbert

Good morning guys.

I see I missed about 25 pages in the last week. If anyone quoted me and I didn’t answer please give it a bump and I’ll try to respond.

Took all 5 kids and a dog into the Boundary Waters for 5 days. Had a good time but the weather kept us on shore for most of the trip. Wanted to target lake trout which didn’t happen.

The kids (who have spent most of the summer with me) go to their moms for 3 weeks starting later today. I traded her one of my weeks in September for one of her weeks in October so I’d have them for more hunting weekends.

Need some respite this weekend, and then get my son’s truck back together.
A few thoughts in regards to pistols….

My dad and I were always big fans of 357’s so I’ve owned many of them over the years. They pack a wallop on the receiving end but don’t recoil too badly-especially the ones with larger grips. I’ve never had a problem with ears ringing like I do on a 44 magnum if barrel length is greater than 2”.

Secondly, most roller guns have adjustable sights and most value price to mid priced autos do not. Nothing pisses me off more than getting a pistol with nonadjustable sights that can’t hit the broadside of a barn at 5 yards.

The funny thing is now used roller guns are way more expensive even though everybody seems to want autos.

Lately I’ve bought a lot more auto pistols because of their availability and price. And I like to have a few extras around so I can keep one in the house, one locked in the car, and so on. I also bought one with the lower rail so I can put a flashlight/laser on it for walking the dogs as large canine predators are an issue up here. I don’t have much use for 9 MM as a defense round however they are nice for plinking due to cost of ammo.

If I was in big bear country I would carry a .44 at minimum. I see a lot of articles about guys justifying 10 mm, etc as being “better” guns for big bear and they’ll never convince me. All those extra rounds at half the muzzle energy mean absolutely nothing if you only can get off 1 to 3 shots before the bear gets to you.
I load 258 gr. Hornaday XTP in my Colt Mark IV Gold Medal .45 ACP . very similiar to the Hydro Shocks . Never leave home for the bush without it ! ;)
He must have an older browser that doesn’t offer multi quote :guitar:
bonus bump included....
:drinkingcoffee:
Hard to keep up in this thread. I have to skip over most posts.

If only there was a thread that focused on firewood, and how to scrounge it . . .

Philbert
:ices_rofl: good point there Pb... the 'how to' of it all....

I drove from Ontonagon to Calumet for a whole winter doing line clearance. What a ****** drive. Actually was a whole ****** winter of work. That was around 2003.
wonder if that will get Mod edited/D... ? :popcorn2:

i mean, if we want to get p***ie about things:

AS Rules of Conduct, Terms of Use

• You agree to refrain from engaging in any inappropriate conduct when using the Websites. Inappropriate conduct will not be tolerated and may result in the termination of member privileges. Inappropriate conduct is any conduct or behavior deemed by us, in our sole and absolute discretion, to be harmful to the online community, including, but not limited to, the following:
  • Posting any content deemed by us to be obscene, sexually explicit, vulgar, threatening, harassing, or abusive;
afterall, Sf is not P/R... moderated or the unmoderated... and it is not WTF... tolerated, untolerated and semi-tolerated...

just saying.... :)

:drinkingcoffee:

A few thoughts in regards to pistols….

My dad and I were always big fans of 357’s so I’ve owned many of them over the years. They pack a wallop on the receiving end but don’t recoil too badly-especially the ones with larger grips. I’ve never had a problem with ears ringing like I do on a 44 magnum if barrel length is greater than 2”.

Secondly, most roller guns have adjustable sights and most value price to mid priced autos do not. Nothing pisses me off more than getting a pistol with nonadjustable sights that can’t hit the broadside of a barn at 5 yards.

The funny thing is now used roller guns are way more expensive even though everybody seems to want autos.

Lately I’ve bought a lot more auto pistols because of their availability and price. And I like to have a few extras around so I can keep one in the house, one locked in the car, and so on. I also bought one with the lower rail so I can put a flashlight/laser on it for walking the dogs as large canine predators are an issue up here. I don’t have much use for 9 MM as a defense round however they are nice for plinking due to cost of ammo.

If I was in big bear country I would carry a .44 at minimum. I see a lot of articles about guys justifying 10 mm, etc as being “better” guns for big bear and they’ll never convince me. All those extra rounds at half the muzzle energy mean absolutely nothing if you only can get off 1 to 3 shots before the bear gets to you.
I agree with you on that IMHO ill only have a wheel gun in bear country. When I only have seconds to count on because a bear popped up right in front of you and it is or almost is on top of you and I bring that gun up I want to count on that there is a round to the pipe not that I've inadvertently somehow dropped the mag or the slide isn't in battery or any number of things that autos can be finicky about. Wheel guns are simple. Heavy trigger, it goes bang. Carry a speedloader if that's a concern if you practice you can reload just as fast as an auto. Don't get me wrong I love my 1911. I carry it as an everyday carry everyday but I know when less features is more.

I’ve never had a problem with ears ringing like I do on a 44 magnum if barrel length is greater than 2”.
Probably because I loaded it with 125 grain HP bullets! Had a 4" barrel (IIRC). Stainless Ruger GP-100, was a nice gun but a bit heavy.

I'm happy with the Glock 23, although NY made me get new 10 round mags to be legal!

I agree with you on that IMHO ill only have a wheel gun in bear country. When I only have seconds to count on because a bear popped up right in front of you and it is or almost is on top of you and I bring that gun up I want to count on that there is a round to the pipe not that I've inadvertently somehow dropped the mag or the slide isn't in battery or any number of things that autos can be finicky about. Wheel guns are simple. Heavy trigger, it goes bang. Carry a speedloader if that's a concern if you practice you can reload just as fast as an auto. Don't get me wrong I love my 1911. I carry it as an everyday carry everyday but I know when less features is more.
whenever we were hunting elk or deer in the upper brush... my Dad always has a 357 on his hip...

1911- ooh-rah!
1662136345325.png

Just curious. Why is this the first year of you carrying while being in the woods? Does it appear that you have more bear now than you did in years past?
Prior to last year we would rarely ever see any bears in our area of Mass. Last year and most of this year I haven't been in the woods much due to a knee replacement and rotator cuff surgery. The past two weeks I have been spending a lot of time up on our hill and see too much evidence of bears. I'm not taking any chances.

Prior to last year we would rarely ever see any bears in our area of Mass. Last year and most of this year I haven't been in the woods much due to a knee replacement and rotator cuff surgery. The past two weeks I have been spending a lot of time up on our hill and see too much evidence of bears. I'm not taking any chances.
Always better safe than sorry

Always better safe than sorry
i like bear docuvids... especially, the new lil cubs with the Momma... and of course, down in the river... salmon fishing! other day one was on cable. said 3 types in NA... brown, grizzlie and polar ~

Why would it, that’s hardly even a swear these days… The real profanity gets blocked out…
Like *** :laughing: .
Heck I'll probably get a strike now towards :guitar:. Where's the "fox" when we need him 😆.
hey chipper! ... i can PM you a list of words u can use/post up... see how long it takes!!! :givebeer:

BL: :dumb:

:sucks:

hey chipper! ... i can PM you a list of words u can use/post up... see how long it takes!!! :givebeer:

BL: :dumb:

:sucks:
I know them lol.
By the way, in the post above I had written the letters on the beginning of this OPEforum, it should hardly be removed, but I know some felt threatened by the mere mention of the adversary 😆. In there defense, it did get pretty ridiculous for a while right @svk .

Probably because I loaded it with 125 grain HP bullets! Had a 4" barrel (IIRC). Stainless Ruger GP-100, was a nice gun but a bit heavy.

I'm happy with the Glock 23, although NY made me get new 10 round mags to be legal!
Wouldn't your pistol be considered grandfathered in for hi-caps?

Latest posts

Back