Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you used the 572 yet? If so, any thoughts?
Is that a 32" bar? Any thoughts?

I was thinking about that very same set up for some upcoming work I need to do, though maybe with a 28" bar. A few months ago, the Tsumura bars were difficult to find.

Just curious.
Not that one but it is my 4th one. They are great! Ported they are my favorite saw of all current offerings, very user friendly, smooth, large clutch cover and chip flap for good chip clearance and directed down instead of back at operator, easier to get thrown chain back on, good torque, good air filtration, I like the fuel/oil caps, and have been very reliable, Yes 32”, pulls it great, I’m cutting soft wood. Tsumura are hard to find, that was the last 32” husky mount bar I’ve been able to find (Tsumura), they are good bars though.

I may have made my last wooding trip for the year. Good rain Friday, a bit more today and more predicted off and on next week. I don't want to risk that badly rutted entry into my willow bush clearance project. I have around 8 cords willow still to put through the splitter plus around 11 cord of locust, maple and horse chestnut. Some of the locust was cut some 15 years ago!

Time to dry out the MS441 and MS193T. I'll keep the 362 ready to go, got a pile of locust limbs to cut up. Kinda miss not cutting any locust this year. My only source is some 25 miles away and with the price of fuel....
25 miles? I wish I could find good wood that close. I go 25 miles in off the highway to my main spot right now.

A good friend who looks after and hunts my property got this bear a while back. He's an avid hunter in his 70's but this was his first time hunting bear. He shot it 10 minutes after sunup on the first day of the season. He was excited but a little bummed out because he enjoys the anticipation and woods time. I gave him some help getting it to his truck and loading it up.

View attachment 1026633

Forgot to mention, I ended up doing less wood work then I wanted today. I donned my cloggers this morning after waking up, and realized they don't have rear pockets! Kinda shocked me. Front pockets were big enough to fit my wallet in, so off I went about my day. They are pretty hot to wear. The legs particularly. The fabric over your arse is super thin. I like the little vents in the legs. Between them and the thin back fabric they arnt too bad to wear. Didn't do any actual sawing today, but plenty of splitting and I can say, besides being a bit warm they are very comfortable and fit well. I got a medium size. I'm 5'9" 210 lbs. 34"x 32" pants normally, and these fit real well. So far I like them, besides missing a rear pocket. Well and a wedge pocket like my chaps have would have been nice too... im more likely to wear these then my chaps.

Send the company an email, telling them what you like and don't like. Help their product development. They might send you a voucher or freebie in return, and the future design of Cloggers might be more useful for everyone.

Not that one but it is my 4th one. They are great! Ported they are my favorite saw of all current offerings, very user friendly, smooth, large clutch cover and chip flap for good chip clearance and directed down instead of back at operator, easier to get thrown chain back on, good torque, good air filtration, I like the fuel/oil caps, and have been very reliable, Yes 32”, pulls it great, I’m cutting soft wood. Tsumura are hard to find, that was the last 32” husky mount bar I’ve been able to find (Tsumura), they are good bars though.
There's nothing like having a professional review their tools of the trade.
Much appreciated. Thanks.

I've been eyeballing a 22 cal airgun, but I never do it since I don't have any reason not to shoot real guns where I am. Lately the Smith&Wesson 586 no dash has been on squirrel duty, but I've whacked quite a few with the 10mm too.

View attachment 1026515
I know you guys like guns, but let's try to keep this page about scrounging firewood as it is that.
Thanks.

A good friend who looks after and hunts my property got this bear a while back. He's an avid hunter in his 70's but this was his first time hunting bear. He shot it 10 minutes after sunup on the first day of the season. He was excited but a little bummed out because he enjoys the anticipation and woods time. I gave him some help getting it to his truck and loading it up.

View attachment 1026633
I think I saw that guy on Americas Most Wanted? Or, he was wearing the same mask.

Ok, I’m gonna brag for a second. Decided to just grab the 460 rancher because it’s lightweight, and I’m just cutting off the pile out back. Cut a couple rounds and decided the chain needed touched up. Ever since I got my grinder, I’m just gone by my dads golden standard of swapping chains when they go full, and then grinding a whole pile when you run out. Today, I didn’t feel like pulling the chain off when it wasn’t really that dull, so I decided to just touch it up with a file. I don’t think I’ve filed a chain since I got my grinder so figured a little practice would be good.

I’ve still got it 😎

View attachment 1026553
If you're round filing? Nice ribbon's! Nice ribbon's indeed! 👍

I've been eyeballing a 22 cal airgun, but I never do it since I don't have any reason not to shoot real guns where I am. Lately the Smith&Wesson 586 no dash has been on squirrel duty, but I've whacked quite a few with the 10mm too.

View attachment 1026515
Nice squirrel! Thats a toad! 👍 Looks like it could go All-time Boone and Crockett! 🤣😉

Send the company an email, telling them what you like and don't like. Help their product development. They might send you a voucher or freebie in return, and the future design of Cloggers might be more useful for everyone.
I got the older version because they were on sale, I think they have a 2.0 version out or in the works. I'll have to look at their site again and if not I'll drop them a line.
Over the past week my pile keeps growing with Beech tree logs. I did however cut up some of it yesterday.
Better get that Beech cut up. I had a nice beech log I was using foe timing chains, set up off the ground about 3 feet, that went to crap in under a year. I was pretty ticked off about it. One of my more favorite woods to burn. Not necessarily split, it's wavy grain as all get out, but it burns great.

If you're round filing? Nice ribbon's! Nice ribbon's indeed! 👍
Yes, round file. I have messed with square filing some, but not enough to be good at it. That’s a winter project one of these days to learn to do it right, but not until I get a heated shop.

Back