Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You say mushrooms 🍄 Lol . Some of the best eating ones for sure 👍
Wow! Never found them bunched up that much. How do you cook them? Anytime I do they're bland. Now Hen of the Woods make me sick.

Oh, and at the time, Spring, I was hunting Morels.

Each bike has their strengths and weaknesses. My Ktm friends roast me about having to do fork anodizing on my older Betas or having to run a Suzuki rectifier on my 350 to get the correct voltage, but then they're running $800-1k GET tuners and doing fork cartridge swaps, so it all evens out. Actually, the fork anodizing thing was only about $250 a set and the rectifier cost me $70. It's annoying that you need to do this on any of the bikes, but I guess you pick your poison.

My only Ktm was my old 06 300xc. I liked the XC transmissions better than the XCW when they were 5 speeds, just because of the gaps.

I actually kinda miss that bike...I got it for a screaming deal, because it ingested some sand that wiped out the main bearings. Cylinder was fine, so new mains, new con-rod, new Vertex top end, I only had about $2k into that bike, sold it a few years later for almost $5k.

It was a special bike, built by Dicks Racing for a 24hour race. Special taper-bored carb, ported, they did things to the forks so it had rebound adjustments on one fork, compression on the other. The motor was unreal on it...it'd probably get beat by most of the new mx 450s, but a decade ago it would pull 450s all day. It wasn't the easiest bike to ride, but the power was addicting...didn't have that nice mellow powerband that 300s are normally known for. It was actually featured in a magazine back when it was new, supposedly had $15k of mods done to it...so it was by far the best deal I ever made.
Yeah, hard to beat that smooth broad 300 power band fir off road. I fell it makes a 300 as mellow or fierce on the trail as the person twisting the throttle wants it to be! 👍

Wow! Never found them bunched up that much. How do you cook them? Anytime I do they're bland. Now Hen of the Woods make me sick.

Oh, and at the time, Spring, I was hunting Morels.
Yea , they were peak when I found them perfect and tender ,I just sauté them in a pan with virgin olive oil, sea salt and fresh garlic to cook to ur liking there awesome 👍

It's really coming down up here. One more inch and I'll be marking 4x8's out and selling snow by the facecord!
View attachment 1033206
Got dumped on pretty good here by the Mackinaw bridge too. I haven't had a chance to measure it, but it was over the top of my Lacrosse Burly's in some spots when I shoveled the walkway this morning, and those boots are 18" tall. Looks like we have another 9-10 inches since then.

The other day when it slushed on us, I remembered how much I hate snow and any other type of inclement weather. Well not the snow per say, just how everyone turns into an idiot on the roads.
Meh, you ain't seen nothin' yet. Come to Northern Mi. during snowmobile season and try dodging all the Redbull and cocaine fueled assholes heading north in their 3/4 ton diesel pickups at 90 mph while towing their 8-place enclosed trailers.

Meh, you ain't seen nothin' yet. Come to Northern Mi. during snowmobile season and try dodging all the Redbull and cocaine fueled assholes heading north in their 3/4 ton diesel pickups at 90 mph while towing their 8-place enclosed trailers.
Nah, I've had my fill of idiots in the snow. Had plenty of near misses when I was plowing at the township. People really are stupid. Oh it's a bug truck thay weighs 64klbs... let's creap so far up his arse he can't see us.... yeah oh joy. But you hit my mail box! No the snow hit your mailbox and the post is clearly rotten. But you broke it. Yoir mail box is also too far into the road, federal guidelines state it should be off the road surface (can't remember anymore) inches, and your post is against the blacktop with the box protruding onto the road surface.
He let's drive Down this heavily drifted road in my prious and hope I don't get stuck.... oh I'm stuck, here comes the plow truck. (Stands in middle of road like an idiot) hey can you pull me out? No, I'll call a tow truck for you. Oh no it's OK I'll get my buddy to pull me out. No we're in a state of emergency and you car is blocking am emergency access road. Oh its ok my friend will be here in 15 minuets. Why were your pit tonight? Needed a pack of smokes. (at 3am) tow truck will be here in 2 minuets..... enjoy your fines....
Yep, seen them all. Even Watched some pretty good ones trying to go up hills I didn't plow yet. If I can't make it up a hill with a 10wheeler, tire chains, both rears locked together and side to side (with a full load of salt) your pickup isn't going to make it either. Yep, nice thing now is, I just call off work and play in it at home. Screw that.

A few random thoughts in response to the last 4 pages.

I’ve never peed in a scrape but I’ve peed out of a deer stand with deer 15 yards away. The didn’t care about the smell or the noise. Go figure cause if your boot scraped the floor of your stand they bolt at 300 yards lol.
Pee on their scrape or near their rub and watch what happens. I have been doing this for a long time.

Slime has a 2 year use life, then it's supposed to be drained and replaced. I can tell you from many first hand accounts, people don't change it and it rots the rim from the inside. Water based stuff is only as good ad it's corrosion package which runs out eventually. I don't use slime long term because of that in tubeless tires. Its a need to get air in it to get it moved, or milk it till winter sealant for me.
Interesting... Three years is as long as I've had a tire with Slime in it... they all got replaced eventually and I didn't notice anything wrong with the rims. Perhaps it depends on the rim? Some are absolute junk--snowblower rims come to mind.

Interesting... Three years is as long as I've had a tire with Slime in it... they all got replaced eventually and I didn't notice anything wrong with the rims. Perhaps it depends on the rim? Some are absolute junk--snowblower rims come to mind.
I'm sure it had a lot to do with age and length of time the slime was in use. It's clearly stated on the bottle and the link its a 2 year life span.

My nephew, who just got into bow hunting, told my Brother (who hunts) that deer are attracted to HUMAN urine scent. That's what his "buddies" told him. :laughing:
I wouldnt laugh to hard. I have peed in many a deer scrape only to find the buck has freshened it up the next morning. I have also peed down a tree and had bucks come with their nose in the air smeeling and looking. I dont know if deer are attracted to the pee, but they sure dont seem to be afraid of it.

@hamish

Two things, first of all America is a pretty awesome place even though it’s currently being run by idiots. Other than a few loony states along the oceans we’re pretty much free to enjoy life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.

Secondly that statement was a joke made weeks (or months?) ago when a few people were pissy about us being off topic in this thread. Why are you taking shots at me now? Take it as you want but I’m not sorry that I posted it nor will I ever be.

I wouldnt laugh to hard. I have peed in many a deer scrape only to find the buck has freshened it up the next morning. I have also peed down a tree and had bucks come with their nose in the air smeeling and looking. I dont know if deer are attracted to the pee, but they sure dont seem to be afraid of it.
If deer were afraid of human smells I'd never be able to get any. I Have the bladder of a 90 yo. When I gotta pee, I gotta pee.

If deer were afraid of human smells I'd never be able to get any. I Have the bladder of a 90 yo. When I gotta pee, I gotta pee.
Agreed.

From my understanding, big game are more concerned with artificial smells than natural ones such as urine, feces, and BO. I was always told it was better to be sweaty (IE a bit ripe) out in the woods than it was to smell like deodorant or cologne. Not sure if that holds true or not but we either used no deodorant or unscented hunting deodorant while deer hunting. We are a bit spoiled compared to most hunting camps as we have a sauna and use it every night. I cannot imagine these guys who go to deer camp for two weeks with no bath at all or using what we jokingly call a “PTA bath” ie sponge bath to wash the stinky parts.

From my limited perspective on the subject, bear and wolves are more touchy about smell than whitetail. Lots and lots of stories about old guys chain smoking cigarettes all day in the deer stand and always shooting a deer.

From my understanding, big game are more concerned with artificial smells than natural ones such as urine, feces, and BO. I was always told it was better to be sweaty (IE a bit ripe) out in the woods than it was to smell like deodorant or cologne. Not sure if that holds true or not but we either used no deodorant or unscented hunting deodorant while deer hunting. We are a bit spoiled compared to most hunting camps as we have a sauna and use it every night. I cannot imagine these guys who go for two weeks with no bath at all or using what we jokingly call a “PTA bath”!

From my limited perspective on the subject, bear and wolves are more touchy about smell than whitetail. Lots and lots of stories about old guys chain smoking cigarettes all day in the deer stand and always shooting a deer.
Lol, at one point not so long ago, me, dad both brothers and once cousin all smoked. My other cousin said he could find anyone us from. The smoke smell. But he chewed Levi long leaf and spit like crazy. Wasn't anything to kill 2 or 3 packs in a day if I was staying in all day. We always saw deer and other wild life, always came home with a few tagged.
I will say the Coyotes are pretty keen on scents they arnt used to. I swear they know yardage and what I can't shoot through too.

Back