Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good morning guys. Had a decent night of sleep after kind of a rough evening. Was supposed to make sausage out of venison and wild hog with a friend but he canceled so here I am with two thawed (quartered) animals. I ended up finding a borrowed meat grinder and at least got the deer boned and ground into burger. The borrowed grinder is a piece of junk so I’m borrowing another one to finish the process.

I have only purchased 5 new Stihl saws in my life, and I still own 4 of them (including my 044). I sold my ported 362 to a tree guy (it is still in use) to purchase one of my ported 462s.

The rest of my collection are saws that were not running and I fixed, or Asian clones that I built (they did not cost much).

If you get a few non running saws, fix them all, sell some and keep the rest often what you keep cost you nothing but time.

There are tons of videos that can teach you how to bring dead saws back to life, and availability of Asian (and other) parts let you fix them w/o breaking the bank.

Meteor pistons are usually as good as OEM (depends on the saw) at less than 1/2 the price, and Asian tank holders, clutch's, brake flags and plastics (etc.) are a fraction of OEM. Using OEM control levers on AM tank holders and OEM spring on AM clutches is usually a good idea.

No that was the wife’s suburban that I did the heads on. It’s parked for now. Got it finished and it’s still putting antifreeze into the oil, so I’m starting to think the head has to be cracked.
i don't know how it is up in SA's camp, but down here in mine, one pix worth a thou words!!!! :lol:
zzzzxwd.JPG

No that was the wife’s suburban that I did the heads on. It’s parked for now. Got it finished and it’s still putting antifreeze into the oil, so I’m starting to think the head has to be cracked.
does it have an automatic? could be the trans cooler in the radiator.

Good morning guys. Had a decent night of sleep after kind of a rough evening. Was supposed to make sausage out of venison and wild hog with a friend but he canceled so here I am with two thawed (quarters) animals. I ended up finding a borrowed meat grinder and at least got the deer boned and ground into burger. The borrowed grinder is a piece of junk so I’m borrowing another one to finish the process.
CX!: :nofunny:

hi kid... how is it going up there? all set for xmas? AK cold heading down here for next weekend! freezing temps! :nofunny:

i see Anchorage got more snow:

(yesterday)
Hi everyone. This evening's . is cancelled. Another piles of snow. Bad road condition and parking lot situation. Hopefully we can . next week.

salmon not on sale here, but brussels are! down from $2.99 to $1.69. latest grocery report this morning...👍

Q
B should be happy, only has to drive, even if some shelves bare:

https://www.insider.com/what-its-li...laska-living-2022-11?utm_source=pocket-newtab
you do any ice fishing off ur shores there?

what is a typical day like up there for you now winter is set in?

Good morning guys. Had a decent night of sleep after kind of a rough evening. Was supposed to make sausage out of venison and wild hog with a friend but he canceled so here I am with two thawed (quarters) animals. I ended up finding a borrowed meat grinder and at least got the deer boned and ground into burger. The borrowed grinder is a piece of junk so I’m borrowing another one to finish the process.
Oh have I got a grinder story fir ya. I'll try to make it as short and entertaining as possible.
One year I harvested a big bull Bison. We ended up with about 200lbs of meat to grind (not counting prime cuts and roasts) I borrow my good neighbors prize small commercial grinder built in the 40's. Now when I say prize. I mean he was so proud of it. That its place in his house. Was on the coffee table! That was its home! So I go borrow it. Take it to my place. Now first let my tell you. This grinder can flat out grind some meat! Big chunks as fast as you could drop them in the hopper. Yes! It was old school and had a big hopper! Not a tray with a long skinny deep tube like today's "commercial grinders"
I had two different neighbors over helping with the cutting, grinding and wrapping. One likes to start sipping the sauce early on Saturday if you know what I mean. The other was a youngster in his early twenties. I was doing the wrapping (because I was the fastest at it.) While the other two did the cut'n and grinding. My neighbor Dug the sauce sipper decides to change grinder plates from medium to course. Im wrapping meat at this point. After they get it switched out. They plug the grinder back in. Turn it on and I hear a loud metal CHU CHUNK! Im thinking 🤔🙄 "Oh god! What did Dug break this time? Please not Tims prize grinder that "I" borrowed"!!! I hear Ethan, the youngster say "Uh oh!!" I say 😲"Uh Oh?!?! What do you mean Uh Oh Ethan?!?!" Neither say a word! So I repeat my self! STIHL not a word. I walk over and Doug has the auger housing almost disassembled. He pulls out the auger. Wait no. He pulls out HALF the auger! Then one of the four fluke spare cutting blades! Then the other half of the sheared off auger! 😫At this point I'm thinking! "Ok Erik! Don't panic! 😰Its only Tims favorite thing in the whole universe! His prize grinder that he dusts and polishes every day! The grinder that's literally ground over twenty Moose and 200 deer over the years! TIM'S grinder that isn't built anymore and is irreplaceable! The grinder that you borrowed!!!"😭 I Break the news to Tim being as I was the one who borrowed it and therefore the one responsible for it. Upset is not the word I can use to describe How Tim felt. I Begged his forgiveness and promised him one of two things. Either the biggest baddest grinder Cabela's sells or his original grinder back "IF" the local machine shop can fix the sheared in half auger. Surprisingly he said "I'll take a new grinder". 🤔So of course I immediately order Tim a new grinder (Fir about $1000.00 mind you!) and payed for it. I and I alone! Then make the 50 mile trip to the machinest. He takes one look at the auger and says exactly this! "What idiot tryed grinding iron instead of meat?" I say 😒"NOT ME!!!" He looks at it for a bit longer and says "I think you loose on this one, but I'll do whatever I can" I thank him, then make the 50 mile trip back home. Two weeks later I get the call! "Come pick up your auger its no longer a two piece assembly any more" Thank God! 😓 Wait! 🤔I already replaced Tims! He had the option!😲 That means the old school grinder is now MINE! I check with Timmy again just to make sure. Surprisingly again he says "Ah Just keep it!" (Tims one of my best friends) Dug is going to town fir errands. I give him money to pick up the new auger. When he brings it to me later that day he's already sauced up and says. "Since I went and got the auger that means Tims old grinder is both of ours right?" 😡😡😡😡😡 I say "Dug!!! Get your drunk a**......"

The grinder. This thing weights 100lbs if it weights an ounce! IMG_20221216_135934551.jpg

My local saw shop used to have all the sexy posters and calendars with girls holding Stihls. I don't know if Stihl stopped doing those photoshoots or if the shop's gone PC, but not much of that stuff on the walls anymore.:(
PC is the problem :confused:
One of my disappointments as a teenager was not getting to go along to a Stihl calendar photoshoot! About 1963 the photos for the Stihl calendar were taken in SW Washington State. My dad got to spend two days with the "crew" and cut all of the timber shown in the photos!

Oh have I got a grinder story fir ya. I'll try to make it as short and entertaining as possible.
One year I harvested a big bull Bison. We ended up with about 200lbs of meat to grind (not counting prime cuts and roasts) I borrow my good neighbors prize small commercial grinder built in the 40's. Now when I say prize. I mean he was so proud of it. That its place in his house. Was on the coffee table! That was its home! So I go borrow it. Take it to my place. Now first let my tell you. This grinder can flat out grind some meat! Big chunks as fast as you could drop them in the hopper. Yes! It was old school and had a big hopper! Not a tray with a long skinny deep tube like today's "commercial grinders"
I had two different neighbors over helping with the cutting, grinding and wrapping. One likes to start sipping the sauce early on Saturday if you know what I mean. The other was a youngster in his early twenties. I was doing the wrapping (because I was the fastest at it.) While the other two did the cut'n and grinding. My neighbor Dug the sauce sipper decides to change grinder plates from medium to course. Im wrapping meat at this point. After they get it switched out. They plug the grinder back in. Turn it on and I hear a loud metal CHU CHUNK! Im thinking 🤔🙄 "Oh god! What did Dug break this time? Please not Tims prize grinder that "I" borrowed"!!! I hear Ethan, the youngster say "Uh oh!!" I say 😲"Uh Oh?!?! What do you mean Uh Oh Ethan?!?!" Neither say a word! So I repeat my self! STIHL not a word. I walk over and Doug has the auger housing almost disassembled. He pulls out the auger. Wait no. He pulls out HALF the auger! Then one of the four fluke spare cutting blades! Then the other half of the sheared off auger! 😫 Ok Erik! Don't panic! 😰Its only Tims favorite thing in the whole universe! His prize grinder that he dusts and polishes every day! The grinder that's literally ground over twenty Moose and 200 deer over the years! TIM'S grinder that isn't built anymore and is irreplaceable!!!😭
I Break the news to Tim being as I was the one who borrowed it and therefore the one responsible for it. Upset is not the word I can use to describe How Tim felt. I Begged his forgiveness and promised him one of two things. Either the biggest baddest grinder Cabela's sells or his original grinder back "IF" the local machine shop can fix the sheared in half auger. Surprisingly he said "I'll take a new grinder". 🤔So of course I immediately order Tim a new grinder (Fir about $1000.00 mind you!) and payed for it. I and I alone! Then make the 50 mile trip to the machinest. He takes one look at the auger and says exactly this! "What idiot tryed grinding iron instead of meat?" I say 😒"NOT ME!!!" He looks at it for a bit longer and says "I think you loose on this one, but I'll do whatever I can" I thank him, then make the 50 mile trip back home. Two weeks later I get the call! "Come pick up your auger its no longer a two piece assembly any more" Thank God! 😓 Wait! 🤔I already replaced Tims! He had the option!😲 That means the old school grinder is now MINE! I check with Timmy again just to make sure. Surprisingly again he says "Ah Just keep it!" (Tims one of my best friends) Dug is going to town fir errands. I give him money to pick up the new auger. When he brings it to me later that day he's already sauced up and says. "Since I went and got the auger that means Tims old grinder is both of ours right?" 😡😡😡😡😡 I say "Dug!!! Get your drunk a**......"
So the moral of the story is that ur back to the old grind. :yes:

My local saw shop used to have all the sexy posters and calendars with girls holding Stihls. I don't know if Stihl stopped doing those photoshoots or if the shop's gone PC, but not much of that stuff on the walls anymore.:(

Here's a few more to keep you going.

Screenshot_20221216-182526_kindlephoto-128308848.pngScreenshot_20221216-182557_kindlephoto-128254450.pngScreenshot_20221216-182546.png

Latest posts

Back