Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Let me check the freezer, my hunting buddy just took two hogs a week ago. LOL yesterday being MLK day I had a holiday went to his place intending to drop off something and then go to my ranch to unload a trailer and hunt, wound up snacking for four hours on Wild Hog Ribs over a cherry open pit fire. They were very good, brined for a week. We may have gotten some back from the butcher we use to take care of our quartered and field dressed varmints.

I use Stainless spiles
View attachment 1049337
I’ve used these in the past the plastic tends to crack after a few years . The blue tubing is sold Tractor supply
View attachment 1049338
I tap around the middle of February . It all depends on your average temps . They need to be above freezing during the day and below at night .
Thank you! Ill have to find out what kind of Maples I have but if they are the proper ones ill give it a shot this year.

Some pics from the property this WE. There was just a dusting of snow on the ground, and a lot of the tree tops high up had frozen rain (as it got much colder over the WE). The morning views were hazy.

The first 3 pics are to the East, the 4th is to the West.

Attachments

• View01-15-23-1.jpg
    View01-15-23-1.jpg
    245.6 KB · Views: 0
  • View01-15-23-2.jpg
    View01-15-23-2.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 0
  • View01-15-23-3.jpg
    View01-15-23-3.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 0
  • View01-15-23-4.jpg
    View01-15-23-4.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 0
Man was I wrong. I've been sharpening by hand the chain on the saw as I use. Every now and then try to knock down the rakers with I flat file I had. It didn't cut so well. I bought the Pherd file/guide tool and just got done going over the chain once with it. The chain had been cutting but not putting out big chips. Had trouble cutting through a Sassafras log and I said enough.
Tried the tool out today and I already can see the mistakes I've been making. Man was I wrong! The teeth sharpened from the nut side of the bar where sharpened at too acute of an angle (pointier) while the muffler side was at the correct angle. Also, the rakers on the nut side were not filed down as much as the other side. I still need more filing to get it down to where it should be, but I'm going to see if there's anything at the log yard for me to see how it's cutting. Some 24" Red Oak I know of???
I also need to get a couple of vises to clamp the bar in. I've been doing it with just a block of wood under the bar so it wouldn't teeter. My Dad had a nice one out in the garage and when we disposed of his house, I left it there thinking i couldn't take anything attached. Found out new homeowners gutted the garage. Could have mounted that on my tailgate. Need a clamp on version for my new table saw work surface in the basement too.
Well, at least you figured it out, many just buy new chains or pay someone and never learn. Speaking of that, I have a pile of chains I need to sharpen for a guy who's in the latter category.
If you buy a stump vise you could beat it into a board and screw/clamp the board to your tablesaw table or use it other place.

1673978102331.png
Wild Hog ribs, brined for a week, then lightly boiled for a half hour in some clean water, then put on the rack, frequently dipped back into the boil water, a little raspberry pepper seasoning over the top. No silverware needed. The Corso actually stopped slobbering for a few minutes, but only a few.... He got nothin, aint my dog, and I aint neither of these two guys. They both hunt my land and keep the stands up an healthy so I dont have to do much to my stands ever. My buddy on the right I've known now coming up on 50 years, this is at his place. The SS Wok has a matching lid, and the handle can be seen poking out of the left side, on wheels, so you can move the fire, not the meat. (He's still learning....)

On another note, I've mentioned beefing up my 5'x8' SA trailer. I had bent the cross members a little. I'm about 5/8" lower in the center than at the ends of the cross members (3/16" Th x 2" x 2" angle). My question for those of you who weld on trailers, can you think of any method to straighten the cross member?
My first thought was to make something like a gear/flywheel puller attached to the ends of the cross member and then put a bottle jack in the center to try to press it straight. Pretty stupid, I know besides only having a 2 ton jack.

Any realistic ideas? Or would you just weld plates to the frame where the new pipe would mate and then weld any where the two meet>
IMG_1623.JPG

Thank you! Ill have to find out what kind of Maples I have but if they are the proper ones ill give it a shot this year.
I believe all maples are good to go just some alil better than others. My one cousin tapped birch trees and made syrup from that. It was pretty good. They don't produce the amount that maples do but it did have a unique taste maybe even better than maple syrup

I believe all maples are good to go just some alil better than others. My one cousin tapped birch trees and made syrup from that. It was pretty good. They don't produce the amount that maples do but it did have a unique taste maybe even better than maple syrup
On another forum, I've heard of tapping HVBW. That would be an interesting flavor.

Yeah I think I'm going to give it a shot I'll take some pictures of them here this weekend and determine how many taps I can put in the trees.

View attachment 1049403
Wild Hog ribs, brined for a week, then lightly boiled for a half hour in some clean water, then put on the rack, frequently dipped back into the boil water, a little raspberry pepper seasoning over the top. No silverware needed. The Corso actually stopped slobbering for a few minutes, but only a few.... He got nothin, aint my dog, and I aint neither of these two guys. They both hunt my land and keep the stands up an healthy so I dont have to do much to my stands ever. My buddy on the right I've known now coming up on 50 years, this is at his place. The SS Wok has a matching lid, and the handle can be seen poking out of the left side, on wheels, so you can move the fire, not the meat. (He's still learning....)
Looks some good ol boys and some good ol times. Just my style! Although Im not sure about that side x side!🤔 Is it a Honda? 🤨 Not sure I can be do'n any trade'n with 🙅anyone that rides anything but a Honda!

Oh yeah, or a rides anything with two wheels besides a KTM, or runs any power saw other than STIHL, or owns a Japanese made Winchester or Browning rifle, or uses braided fishing line instead of mono, or ties his left shoe before the right, or....
😉

NH compact tractors ARE made by LS in South Korea, but JD, MF and others {?} are NOT.

NH is owned by Fiat and ford has had nothing to do with NH in MANY years.

SR
Actually John Deere is built overseas along with many other American brand names now unfortunately. We scrap our old metal auto mobiles and other equipment that we bought from them in the first place. Japan and Korea buy the metal fir pennys on the dollar. We ship the scrap over to them. They melt it back down to steel then build and sell automobiles and heavy equipment t back to us fir a unbelievabley huge profit! Its quite ingenious really. Especially since 80% of their schools have no heat in the winter, there school work is far more difficult than ours and their high school drop out rate is practically nothing compared to the US, but we've got it all under control and our country is more United than ever before.👍 Just ask your local politician! They'll tell ya! 🤣

Actually John Deere is built overseas along with many other American brand names now unfortunately. We scrap our old metal auto mobiles and other equipment that we bought from them in the first place. Japan and Korea buy the metal fir pennys on the dollar. We ship the scrap over to them. They melt it back down to steel then build and sell automobiles and heavy equipment t back to us fir a unbelievabley huge profit! Its quite ingenious really. Especially since 80% of their schools have no heat in the winter, there school work is far more difficult than ours and their high school drop out rate is practically nothing compared to the US, but we've got it all under control and our country is more United than ever before.👍 Just ask your local politician! They'll tell ya! 🤣
Yes and NO...

The small deere's were made overseas for many years and "some" still are, but now most of the compacts are made/assembled here out of parts that come from all over the world.

Small deere ag tractors are mostly made across the pond, big deere ag tractors are made here.

SR

Sharpened six 3/8×84dl stihl RS chains today and one 3/8×72dl Oregon with the anti-vibe ramps on it. Went well, but they were damaged quite a way back.
This one had been touched up by someone, but whatever they used only hit the cutter about an 1/8" down. Funny when guys say a shop ground half their cutters off when they sharpened their chains; well if you beat the heck out of them so much that the working corner is damaged back half way, I guess they probably would need to remove a lot of material to actually get them sharp. Also, none of the rakers had been touched on any of these chains.
These take me a lot of time as I start at the front and clean the gullet out. But, when they are done, they cut straight, self feed, and are easy to sharpen with a file or with a grinder the next time it's needed.
Sorry the pictures aren't better, my lens is cracked on my phone.
20230117_152512.jpg20230117_152832.jpg20230117_152901.jpg

Yeah I think I'm going to give it a shot I'll take some pictures of them here this weekend and determine how many taps I can put in the trees.
Rule of thumb 10”to 15 “one tap ,15” to 20” two , 25” and over 3 . I don’t go over 2 myself . My taps require a 5/16 drill bit and I drill on a slight upward angle into the tree sap wood I never go deeper the 1 1/4 on smaller trees and 1 1/2 inch on large trees.

Sharpened six 3/8×84dl stihl RS chains today and one 3/8×72dl Oregon with the anti-vibe ramps on it. Went well, but they were damaged quite a way back.
This one had been touched up by someone, but whatever they used only hit the cutter about an 1/8" down. Funny when guys say a shop ground half their cutters off when they sharpened their chains; well if you beat the heck out of them so much that the working corner is damaged back half way, I guess they probably would need to remove a lot of material to actually get them sharp. Also, none of the rakers had been touched on any of these chains.
These take me a lot of time as I start at the front and clean the gullet out. But, when they are done, they cut straight, self feed, and are easy to sharpen with a file or with a grinder the next time it's needed.
Sorry the pictures aren't better, my lens is cracked on my phone.
View attachment 1049494View attachment 1049495View attachment 1049496
Wait wait wait, There's a working corner on the tooth that needs sharpening? Dose that mean I've been unnecessarily leaning hard on my saw fir over 30 years? 🤔
Well why the devil didn't anyone make this apparent 29 years 11 months ago! 😡 Fir thirty years I've just been throwing my chains out the back door and into the bushes once they stopped working!

Latest posts

Back