Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
338 bullets (to reload) still seem to be in short supply, often with only 185, 270 or 300 gr being available. I don't see the 3 bullets I currently have being available anywhere at the moment, so I'm glad I got them when I did.

Cabela's does have Hornady SST 200 gr in stock at the moment, so I picked up a box of 100. According to the Hodgdon website, I can drive them at 2,833 with that new CFE223 powder, which is within 150 fps of any 200 gr loads for the 338 Win Mag (from the same source).

So now I have 4 different bullets to play with, along with 4 suitable powders (CFE223, H335, H380 and H4350).

Just wish this project was done before my busy tax season, I may not be able to play for a few months after February starts.

I was just searching for a plow suitable for my loader last night. The loader bucket is 9’ 8” wide, so I’m thinking the plow should be 14 or 16 feet wide. I don’t know what angles plows are set at, or I could use a trigonometry calculator to figure plow size. The road our mountain place is on doesn’t get plowed, so I’m considering it for more winter access.

25 currently. Is it all tractor Vs skidsteer? The last 8-10 pages have been fascinating 😂
You may have missed some bear tails and a a real nice white oak scrounge Neil. I think a grapple bucket showdown is on the docket. :crazy2: Meanwhile some :cheers:and some Deep Purple before supper. Hope all is well across the big pond.

Magna fluxed. I wanted pressure testing but the only place that can do it quoted me $1200
Dang thats expensive! I thought the machine shops around here were a rip off.
338 bullets (to reload) still seem to be in short supply, often with only 185, 270 or 300 gr being available. I don't see the 3 bullets I currently have being available anywhere at the moment, so I'm glad I got them when I did.

Cabela's does have Hornady SST 200 gr in stock at the moment, so I picked up a box of 100. According to the Hodgdon website, I can drive them at 2,833 with that new CFE223 powder, which is within 150 fps of any 200 gr loads for the 338 Win Mag (from the same source).

So now I have 4 different bullets to play with, along with 4 suitable powders (CFE223, H335, H380 and H4350).

Just wish this project was done before my busy tax season, I may not be able to play for a few months after February starts.
That load is real close to factory sst load for a 338wm, I'm just over 3000fps leaving the muzzle of my savage.

That load is real close to factory sst load for a 338wm, I'm just over 3000fps leaving the muzzle of my savage.
That is their "Superformance" ammo that is loaded with progressive powders that are supposed to be 100-200 FPS higher than normal factory loads.

They list the 200 gr at 3030 FPS, but don't tell you how to duplicate their load!

My old (3rd edition) Hornady manual shows IMR 4831 producing 3,000 FPS in a 338 Win Mag, but all the other powders are 2,900.

I don't think anyone currently loads the 338-06, but no matter, most of my guns have never seen a factory loaded round.

I have a good supply of 06 brass (both new and once fired that I collected at the range) and recently found a brick of large rifle primers, so I'm good for a while.

Still waiting on my gunsmith for installation ... but here is my 338-06 barrel - 24". The weight is 2 lbs 9 oz.

I think the stainless will look good with the Black synthetic stock on the Ruger American Rifle.
Did you say that barrel is a shaw?
I've never tried a shaw barrel, but I've had five custom barrels built by x-caliber up in Montana. They do nice work, and they build barrels up to 32" which is difficult to find most places.

I've had these calibers built... 338 Lapua, 375 Ruger, 300 blackout, and a couple 223's
Unfortunately, I haven't used any of em enough to know how well they shoot.....

Latest posts

Back