Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What's dudes name that was hanging out with Scott(the porter) up there in WI, he had a video trimming a tree with a 6' bar or something, maybe even wearing an ape mask.
Probably Redbull660. I remember he spent a lot of money and resources testing all that stuff. IIRC those guys somehow got sideways with each other a few years back?

Probably Redbull660. I remember he spent a lot of money and resources testing all that stuff. IIRC those guys somehow got sideways with each other a few years back?
There you go.
I have no idea about that.
I bought one of his 661 oil test P&C, I guess he had at least a couple other problems/difficulties going on.

LOL

Other stuff:
In 1995 when I sold out of cattle and farming in Oklahoma, besides combine and hay machinery and a cattle herd I sold 40 acres of productive bottom land with two steel pole barns, well constructed hay barns. Each was 44’ X 100’—made so you could drive a full semi load of hay into or out of either end of the barn. Last night I woke in the night wondering about the place (I knew the guy who owned the place and was operating there, but that was 28 yrs back).

So I pulled up Google, street view was what I was after but aerial view was what I got after zooming in from the entire U.S. Apparently a tornado destroyed the west barn. I talked to a friend today, a guy who runs cattle a mile north of the place. He said two years ago a tornado demolished the west barn and badly damaged the east (and did similar destruction nearby). In this photo, which I struggled with help from a friend to pull from Google’s grip, you can find parts of the barn and multiple steel sheets in the surrounding field if you zoom in close. What a mess.

Reminds me of the time that I was working inside that west barn when an afternoon storm came up. Winds were so strong I could hear the steel sheets (roofing and siding all sheet steel) doing their damnedest to pull free and fly. Flying sheet steel will sever limbs from bodies. I wriggled feet first into a stack of alfalfa square bales (my money crop). That place was crawling with black widows, but I chose safety in the hay—chose the risk of black widow bite over slicing steel. The storm passed, and the barn survived another 30-some years.

The combine parked outside the remaining barn makes me wonder--did that thing sit there untouched?

mapimage.jpeg

And here’s today. This week I began splitting my annual scrounge for next season’s heat. Mostly ash, lots of honey locust, some elm, and enough pine so that anytime we start a cold stove there’s a chunk or two of pine to get the fire hot. Also, last summer I got a stash of oak, rare stuff hereabout. A friend needed an oak removed in town, so I dropped it in return for the big wood. He and his wife loaded and hauled all the small stuff, all I had to do was drop the tree, dice it up, and load my big chunks. Burr oak, nice stuff, used to be my main heat in Oklahoma.

The splitter and I begin at one end and move to the other, converting big rounds into stove-wood. I pile loosely to let sun and wind do the main drying. Then I aim to have all stacked inside the woodshed by early June. We’re still burning, and will be till late May, so I don’t want to bury the last layer inside the shed.

It’s good to be back at it. Four months out from knee replacement surgery I’m able to work, but it’s surprising to me how swollen and tender that joint still is—some minor discomfort just to walk across the room.

Detail in the photo: I stretch two extension cords from the shop and run a box fan to take the exhaust from the splitter motor away from me. With all the saws and small engine exhaust and diesel fumes I’ve sucked down over the years, I’ll be doing well to dodge lung cancer. Plus I just don’t like breathing that stuff anymore.

The deer skull and rack (lion kill) wired up to the near tree in the first pic—I’ve walked head-on into that thing several times this week. Surprisingly solid. Will have to get the step ladder and mount it higher in the tree.
DSC03116.JPGDSC03117.JPGDSC03118.JPGDSC03119.JPG

I’m way behind on this thread. Been busy.

Bet the bar/chain weighs the same as the saw head
I wouldn't doubt it.

I'm not sure which one of those husky saws in my buddies car was weighing it down more, but his ride looked like it was sagging a little lol. He had a bunch of bars/chains and the winch for milling in there. This is the same guy who I've posted with the husky and the 6' or 7' bar on it, he only runs 404 on his milling saws :oops:. I think he has four 3120's after purchasing the one today, he also has modded 880's and a few 395's for the small stuff.
That's efficient!:chainsaw:
Lots of ways to get a tree on the ground :).

Cut some more pieces off the big cherry this evening after work, even made a bunch of noodles since it's gonna be dry tomorrow.
View attachment 1073076
Put a new x-cut chain on the 261 since I dulled the other one, it was cutting nicely, but it wasn't real happy noodling, clutch cover kept getting plugged up.
View attachment 1073078
Waiting for the guys with bandsaw mills to run over and get all this HVC :innocent:
View attachment 1073079
Don't worry, I got the next round off there before and after that.
View attachment 1073080

Sometimes I use the 12/64 ;).

Yes, the 13/64 is only for the 25" chains :laughing:.

Was a bit warmer yesterday near toledo/bowling Green area :baba:, little windy too.
View attachment 1073082
Where you get these 12/64
Cut some more pieces off the big cherry this evening after work, even made a bunch of noodles since it's gonna be dry tomorrow.
View attachment 1073076
Put a new x-cut chain on the 261 since I dulled the other one, it was cutting nicely, but it wasn't real happy noodling, clutch cover kept getting plugged up.
View attachment 1073078
Waiting for the guys with bandsaw mills to run over and get all this HVC :innocent:
View attachment 1073079
View attachment 1073080

Was a bit warmer yesterday near toledo/bowling Green area :baba:, little windy too.
View attachment 1073082W

View attachment 1073076
View attachment 1073078
View attachment 1073079
View attachment 1073080

View attachment 1073082
Where you get them 12/64 files ?

I wouldn't doubt it.

I'm not sure which one of those husky saws in my buddies car was weighing it down more, but his ride looked like it was sagging a little lol. He had a bunch of bars/chains and the winch for milling in there. This is the same guy who I've posted with the husky and the 6' or 7' bar on it, he only runs 404 on his milling saws :oops:. I think he has four 3120's after purchasing the one today, he also has modded 880's and a few 395's for the small stuff.

Lots of ways to get a tree on the ground :).

I'm running 404 on my asian 880 with either 41 or 50" bars. Of course, I hopped it up a bit, so milling with 404 is no issue for it. The downside is that it has a lot of compression, drop starting with the bar over the log is the only way to go. The plus side is, nobody wants to borrow it to mill with. For ***** and giggles, I took it to work one day...bad idea, one of my coworkers almost dislocated his shoulder, trying the "OSHA approved" ground start, when it halfway fired and then recoiled back. :laugh:

I've done a bit of falling with it, but those were big hardwoods. Even on the big trees, my hopped up 066 or " 566i" are just the easier saws to run.

I'm running 404 on my asian 880 with either 41 or 50" bars. Of course, I hopped it up a bit, so milling with 404 is no issue for it. The downside is that it has a lot of compression, drop starting with the bar over the log is the only way to go. The plus side is, nobody wants to borrow it to mill with. For ***** and giggles, I took it to work one day...bad idea, one of my coworkers almost dislocated his shoulder, trying the "OSHA approved" ground start, when it halfway fired and then recoiled back. :laugh:

I've done a bit of falling with it, but those were big hardwoods. Even on the big trees, my hopped up 066 or " 566i" are just the easier saws to run.
That reminds me of the 084 we had years ago. We had a huge oak come down at my parents place, crushed their Pavillion. Dad traded a 97 kx250 for this 084av from this kid that moved in from the west coast. He said it was ported. Darn thing sucked to start. Any way I got a new 36" bar for it. At the time I had just finished putting the new top end on my 394xp (converted to a 395 topend.) My brother and I raced all day, swapping the two back and forth. The 084 was faster then the 394xp (not as fast as you would have thought through, with in a few seconds of each other. Was quite surprised actually) but man it just beat you up to run it. Dad wanted to trade saws, told him no way. I'll take the saw that beats me up less and is a breeze to start.
My cousin has the 084 now. I don't really miss it. Heavy, thirsty, vibrating thing it was.

That reminds me of the 084 we had years ago. We had a huge oak come down at my parents place, crushed their Pavillion. Dad traded a 97 kx250 for this 084av from this kid that moved in from the west coast. He said it was ported. Darn thing sucked to start. Any way I got a new 36" bar for it. At the time I had just finished putting the new top end on my 394xp (converted to a 395 topend.) My brother and I raced all day, swapping the two back and forth. The 084 was faster then the 394xp (not as fast as you would have thought through, with in a few seconds of each other. Was quite surprised actually) but man it just beat you up to run it. Dad wanted to trade saws, told him no way. I'll take the saw that beats me up less and is a breeze to start.
My cousin has the 084 now. I don't really miss it. Heavy, thirsty, vibrating thing it was.
I think there's a time you just gotta say no, I'm proud that I've been saying no to real heavy saws for a while now. While there are times I could use a 90+cc saw, since I'm not milling, I get by just fine with the modded 70s and the ported 7900.
I'd still like to try the 592, haven't ran one yet.

The big 120cc+ saws really only have an advantage when you're running lonnggg bars on them. I'm just speculating, but I bet my 066 would be about even with the 880 if both were running 36" bars in softwood. I might give the 880 a slight edge if it was hardwood. Also, the torque of the 880 would probably take over running a 42", although I've occasionally run a 42" Oregon on my 066 without too much trouble. Step down to a 32" and I'd put money on the 066 being faster.

The big saws used to get used a lot around here back in the olden days when they were still logging old growth. Pretty cool to look at the old timers running 6-7' bars on Mac 125s and Stihl 090s. Some of the 2nd growth redwoods are approaching the same diameter as the old growth, but my timber faller friends don't even use the big saws that much on them either. I know one of them will typically face the tree up with his 500i with a 36" and then switch over to his new 881 with a 72" for the back cut.

I think there's a time you just gotta say no, I'm proud that I've been saying no to real heavy saws for a while now. While there are times I could use a 90+cc saw, since I'm not milling, I get by just fine with the modded 70s and the ported 7900.
I'd still like to try the 592, haven't ran one yet.

Yeah, I don't even run the 066 that much anymore. After dialing in the "566i," it kinda makes 90cc saws irrelevant for most circumstances IMO. As much as I like running the 566i, my "go-to" saw is the 400. It's just such an easy little saw to run and even out cuts previous generations of 70cc saws. It's not far off of the 462R I run at work.

Latest posts

Back