Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Damn 82 in the Catskill mountains in April, sounds highly unusual lol. They're calling for 89 here on Thursday. I'm really not looking forward to tick season, they're really bad here. I think I'll have to break down and take this 6100 to a small engine repair guy if this carb rebuild doesn't fix the issues. I have to go and cut some stuff before those blood sucking ticks come out.
They are out already in Ma. Hate them, I swell up good from even a small bite.
Well, made a phone call yesterday afternoon, and made a deal with a guy I found on Marketplace selling IBC totes. I'm going to take a load of 30 of them from him when he gets them in three weeks or so for 1050.00. I hate to say it, but that's actually a pretty good deal vs what other people are trying to get in my area on Marketplace for them. Some people are trying to get 75-100 a piece for them for the food-grade ones. Crazy.
I got lucky last week and got 2 for $150, excavator/hoarder with bins of firewood all over the lot.

Finally boiled down sap last weekend and got just over 1/2 gallon. I almost didn't collect this year due to leftover syrup from last year but I made the evaporator so I did it after all. I have been burning last years left over wood for the past month to save the dry wood for the OWB next season. With the warm weather up this might be the end of boiler season.
boil syrup 2023.jpg

Attachments

• syrup 2023.jpg
    syrup 2023.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 0
i remember a sink stopped up at work yrs ago. still a kid in college! put in some drano... then the weekend. it ate thru the pipe... and i had to dance on the carpet Monday next afternoon!

sometimes drano no-braino!
The clog was most likely plugging the leak :omg:

Maybe I misunderstood. The hardwood you're cutting now will be burned this Winter? Or is the shed you'll be stacking in for 2024?

The reason I ask, is I've cut some oak at the lastest early March 2023. I was wondering if it will be ready to burn this Winter (2023). Mind you StL Summers heat.
What I'm splitting has been cut in the last 4-9 months, so drying just a bit in the large rounds. Once split it cures out quickly here. Our mountain air is super dry, single digit humidity readings quite often. Pretty much anything I have split by June will be ready to burn next winter.

Again, I like it piled loose for a month or two, then it gets stacked in the woodshed. Everything in the shed is up off the ground, so there's some airflow.

Dang it...you all got me nervous and I had to go into the shop and do a comp test on the 880...
I had no problems starting it, none. So, with what was said I was expecting low comp and a need for new rings.
I think 180 is ok, right? 🤣
12 year old saw, beat to death at a wood yard...

Yours is fine...I've never put a compression tester on mine. My tester reads really low, so I don't even bother using it. The saw runs really well though, it runs a mill really well.

Both my 066 and ported 661 will blow this 880 away with either a 36 or 42" bar/chain.
The 661 has more torque, however but that's what Brad built it for. The 066 is faster with a 24" bar...no contest. Put a 42 on them and the 661 wins.

Have that 880 ported, unlimited coil, and an 088 carb on it, it may surprise you. Even then, they aren't the most "exciting" to run, but rather just keep pulling no matter how hard you push on it.

I'm running an 8 pin on my 066, it cuts really well in most circumstances, although I've got to be light on it if I'm cutting hardwood that is maxing out the 36" bar. It would probably be fine with a 7 pin in those circumstances, but it pulls the 8 pin so well everywhere else, I ask myself why bother?

Not surprised about the 661. It's pretty well known that the 661 has more torque than the 066...some people like the old dual port Stihls better, but I've had good luck extracting power out of the front-fed quad port Stihls.

Now just if you could convince the Echo fan boys that.....😉
That thread was full of a lot of silliness. I think there have been a couple of 400 hate threads now...key points to be taken from them: power/weight don't matter in production cutting, all 400s are slow because one had carb issues, and M-tronic is little-understood dark art wizardry :laugh: .

Just for the heck of it, I called the dealership that I got a good deal on my 462 from to get a number on a 500. I was pretty shocked when he told me 1,500. This is the same dealer that I paid 1K for my 462 when all of the other dealers around were charging about 1,250.00 at the time (they were still pretty new to our market). I think that's about the going rate that I see them for on marketplace etc, but I just expected a better price from this dealer. I guess there's no getting around inflation.
Near $1700 here.

Here's something for you folks celebrating Easter. I'm not religious, though I was for a number of years (1977--'90-ish). But in the summer of 1970 while living on a commune in upstate NY, I took wood scrap from a pile outside the barn and constructed a rough crucifix. To this day I have no idea what got into me to do so. Then, during my church-going days, our Episcopal priest wanted a wood cross for Easter. I said, I know where one is. It had been nailed to the side of the milk-house where I had pole beans climbing on it. When I brought it to Christ Church it became a big thing there, was mounted on the wall inside for many years, iconic of the place.

It just came up in the last week because an old friend asked me about it. The current preacher in that place, who apparently is not to be trusted, took the cross down, claiming it had been returned to me. Did he sell it, give it away, or what--some mystery, but he lied about it, regardless.

Somewhere we have a better photo, but I managed to scrounge this image from the internet.

1681053733794.png

1681053733794.png

Right.
To me that's one of the benefits of running the newer saws and having them modded, they are efficient, and way lighter than the big boys.
I was looking at a 500i this morning, looked new and for a fairly good price (although I haven't priced them new so I'm not sure how good of a deal it is), it came with a 20" stihl lightweight bar(that would go right on another saw), and a case. But I don't really need another, haven't even messed with the one I have lol.

The big thing for me is the AV on the newer saws. I was running my 044 quite a bit last year, and my carpal tunnel issues flared up really badly...to the point that I had to quit cutting for awhile and was on the verge of surgery. I totally revamped my saw line up and now I usually don't have too many issues cutting. Now it only flares up during motor and pedal bike rides.:rolleyes:

I really like the 500i, I just wish they did an air-injection style set up on it. I was having air filter issues on it and have since gone to a max-flow. I also wish the fuel mapping was easily tunable by the end user, but that's probably outside of what Stihl intended.:laugh: My hybrid runs great, but there are some different porting arrangements that I want to try, using the windowed 660 piston, that I'm not sure the FI would play well with it.

Back