Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sounds like it might have been a bull snake--in size and coloration they resemble a rattler, but in behavior, more like a black snake--beneficial.

Had them in spades when I lived in Oklahoma. You'd find them in the barn, and they'd vibrate their tail in dry hay or whatever. Even knowing there were no rattlers in our area, you'd instinctively jump at that sound. Bull snakes loved to hole up in the stone-built storm cellar underneath our house (which is why my wife went down there only reluctantly). I went down one time, and ducking below the doorway (short framed door) I looked up to find one coiled on either side of the door frame inches above eye level. I kept a spring-loaded clamp arrangement on the end of a broomstick to grab them and carry outdoors.

My favorite snake story, as told to me by my Okie neighbor, Gator. Gator once worked as a plumber's assistant, and was in the crawl space under a house, pushing his tray of tools before him on the way to some piping. Just as he came through a gap in a stem wall he said "the biggest bull snake you've ever seen" came past a few inches in front of his nose--carrying a live rat in its mouth. Gator said he came out of there backwards, the fastest he'd ever moved, scraped hell out of his head on floor joists. He said he'd never been in a crawl space since, and would not go in the future.
Sounds like that rat really scared him. :omg:

My other favorite Gator story (he was Galen Pyle, but known as Gator), you have to understand that Gator was a scrappy little guy, good as gold, but not a patient man. He was my neighbor when we lived in town, but he knew the area where I had lived in my farming and cattle days. One time as a younger guy he was riding his dirt bike down an unpaved road just down the hill from my former place. He came over a blind hill and ran into a goat in the road. He was scraped up with a sprained ankle and a wrecked bike. The goat had clearly gotten out from the 5-acre place where Juan (I forget his name), the Mexican hired hand of a local farmer lived.

Juan appeared shortly after Gator’s wreck. Gator, being quite worked up, said “You’re gonna pay for this.” Juan said, “That’s not my goat. I’ve never seen that goat.” Gator said, “There’s fifteen goats on the other side of the fence staring at me, not another goat in miles, and he says it’s not his goat.” Then Juan said about the injured goat: “Hey, can I have it to butcher?”

Gator said he was so mad he could spit, but never got anything out of Juan.

I chainsawed a V in a log so I'd have a good place to put "short" cutoffs.

Resized-20230415-142729-S.jpg

I rip out thick blanks out of them, to have around to make toys for my grandson, at 3-1/2 yrs. old, he is car/truck crazy, so he has a whole fleet of cars and trucks that I made for him, here's one of them,

Resized-20210518-151953-8999-S.jpg

He lives a long way from me, but he gets a new one every time I go see him.

SR

Well, I'm happy to report the 034 and the hoosky 550 xp kicked butt and took names today. Hoosky wins on the chain speed but the 034 was clearly on top in the torque category!! Very pleased with both. Not overloaded, but not bad for an old geezer by himself after a long day at work. Had to carry off the brush too. IMG_20230418_210519318.jpg

So ur sayin if ur pastor ran the saw there wood be more parts of his body?
Exactly, but I doubt he'd even be able to start it.
Now there's a Ford i'd take in a heartbeat!!and a matching 78 3/4 ton 4x4 same color!!
Saw this little 150 today when fueling the van, looked nice.
20230418_131935.jpg
Heading home now. My wife is driving and I'm stomping the imaginary brake pedal.:eek: I'm supposed to sleep and take the nightshift but it's hard for me to sleep when someone else is driving.

Here's a pic of a big live oak @ Bon Secour Wildlife refuge.
View attachment 1075676
Awesome picture.
So you guys went to Minnesota 😆.
Watching Little House On The Prairie when they were living in MN there were always live oaks lol.
I did ;).
They also sold an attachment that you can put on a car axle… That would be more dangerous.

I believe they also sold one for a tractor pto.
That's the one I'd want 🤣 . That is the one I saw them using. I guess they would put a kill switch to the car ignition, by the time it stopped, it would all be over though.

Saw this overloaded truck today, that pup trailer was a little tippy. It's not way overloaded, but more about how tall the load is.
I'm licensed to drive a truck like this and have knuckle boom experience, looks fun to run. But, they get watched hard by DOT, and if your overweight you only have yourself to blame since you loaded it.
20230418_133643.jpg

so, what would this be used for that a regular concrete saw wouldn’t do?
making cookies out of petrified wood? 🤪
They don't have the radius that a smaller round blade has, like using a flat saw to finish up after a round one.
I sharpen chains for a buddies dad, they do concrete cutting on a pretty large scale, Greg(my buddy) told his dad to toss this into the last batch lol.
20230418_225248.jpg

Firewood scrounge from mom's house. Sugar maple, 50"-60" at the base. Wife was complaining about it sitting idle in the side yard. A good chunk is rotten, so I've been splitting the good wood away from the bad.

Attachments

• 20230415_195313.jpg
    20230415_195313.jpg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
After numerous back and forth e-mails and phone calls with my clients, I finished and e-filed all 4 returns today, so I'm DONE (other than sending them to the clients and filing them). Feels like I've just completed a 2.5 month mental marathon!

I also took a little break in the afternoon and went to the range to relieve the mental stress.

My "tweaked" load with the 210 grain TTSX and H380 powder shot just as well (5/8") with less "powder compressing" so I'll stick with it.

One of my 225 grain bullets liked the powder "tweak" and shot under 1.25", so I will tweak that one some more to see if I can get it under an inch.

Now I have to do all the things I've been putting off till after tax season ... cut the grass, get a haircut, take the Blizzaks off the truck and get the truck inspected (this month). I've also got various saws to work on and logs to mill. Didn't get to any of it last year!

I also have a client who has promised to bring me a lot of Oak and Locust logs ... we will see. Since my favorite local tree guy passed away last year, the timing of this offer is good.

I'm glad I'm feeling healthy again this year, fingers crossed! My daily 20-minute exercise routine seems to be working well.

They don't have the radius that a smaller round blade has, like using a flat saw to finish up after a round one.
I sharpen chains for a buddies dad, they do concrete cutting on a pretty large scale, Greg(my buddy) told his dad to toss this into the last batch lol.
View attachment 1076340
Learn sumthin new every day 😁

G'day fellers,

More scrounging this morning. I was planning to go back to yesterday's burn pile but didn't get that far. I spied this peppermint branch up the hill a bit.

19th Apr 1.jpg

There was a bit of central punk that waxed and waned a bit along the log.

19th Apr 2.jpg

After cutting, I chucked the rounds down the hill and another burn pile stopped them all...except one which continued on and ended up in the creek below the track. Since it was a decent nearly 20" round I went down and retrieved it.

19th Apr 3.jpg

Filled the Ranger and had a few bits left over that rode home in luxury.

19th Apr 4.jpg

19th Apr 5.jpg

The rounds that will fit as they are (12in or less) I won't split and the punk will burn with the rest. Most of it will be burnable this winter.

Scrounge on :rock:

Saw this overloaded truck today, that pup trailer was a little tiny. It's not way overloaded, but more about how tall the load is.
I'm licensed to drive a truck like this and have knuckle boom experience, looks fun to run. But, they get watched hard by DOT, and if your overweight you only have yourself to blame since you loaded it.
View attachment 1076335
In my part of the world you can get done for taking a pic on your phone while you're driving. :surprised3:

On another note it's much nicer having two pages a day rather than the ten we've been having. :crazy2:

Latest posts

Back