Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Been a while guys. I sold my house in late november 2021. I stopped burning wood cuz I dont have a stove. I took the proceeds, packed my stuff and left. I lived in my truck for 5 months. I went strait from Cbus, OH to Quartzsite, AZ and stayed there for a month and a half. Then over to South Padre Island, Brownsville, Boca Chica and Space X. Then around the gulf to FL. Spent a month and a half in FL. Went down the gulf coast then over to key west then back up the GC. Then decided I needed more bikes for Daytona Bike week so drove back to grab my other 2 bikes, drove back down and stayed with a freind in DeLand. Then back to the desert. Vegas, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon,, Moab then up to Caldwell, ID to see a freind. Came home and stayed off work till about Thanksgiving. Got a job as an RV Tech. What a fast 6mo that has been. Anyway, I keep getting emails and private messeges from that Arbor1 guy about paying blah blah blah. You guys getting that stuff?

Well the brakes on my camper have been giving me a real problem . I changed out the backing plates all new hardware and put new drums on both axles I verified all magnets were activating , took it around the block and they were better but not great I would manually hit the brake at max gain and I could feel drag but they should lock up .

So today I took out the Fluke multi meter. Was getting 8.14 volts at the brake . So I checked at the truck plug 8.44 not looking good . I got the same at the blue wire at the controller. The Tekonsha Prodigy p2 is about 13 years old . I took the Tekonsha P3 controller out of my 72 Chevy and I was getting 11.8 at the brakes at full gain . The brakes are working great again at a low setting . The trailer is 27 years old so the parts needed to be replaced but I would have saved a lot of time checking the controller first .

Funny but it worked great with my dump trailer but that has 12 inch drums not 10 inch so there is more braking force .

Been a while guys. I sold my house in late november 2021. I stopped burning wood cuz I dont have a stove. I took the proceeds, packed my stuff and left. I lived in my truck for 5 months. I went strait from Cbus, OH to Quartzsite, AZ and stayed there for a month and a half. Then over to South Padre Island, Brownsville, Boca Chica and Space X. Then around the gulf to FL. Spent a month and a half in FL. Went down the gulf coast then over to key west then back up the GC. Then decided I needed more bikes for Daytona Bike week so drove back to grab my other 2 bikes, drove back down and stayed with a freind in DeLand. Then back to the desert. Vegas, Hoover Dam, Grand Canyon,, Moab then up to Caldwell, ID to see a freind. Came home and stayed off work till about Thanksgiving. Got a job as an RV Tech. What a fast 6mo that has been. Anyway, I keep getting emails and private messeges from that Arbor1 guy about paying blah blah blah. You guys getting that stuff?
That's a lot of getting around you been doing.
Even thinking about you, since you left I got back in the semi, I go to Columbus on a normal basis. Are you back in Columbus.
Did you leave a lot of wood at your old place, last I remember there was quite a bit there.

Finally got through with clearing that patch of brush with 5 big piles of brush. Got a start yesterday on actually cutting some wood, nice tree, fell on one of the piles 13' from the butt leaving 49 feet of log hanging in mid air. Came home yesterday with only a 1/4 load from the top. Back this morning and that log went bad after dutting a couple more rounds. Never happened before but after cutting another 8' the log remained good all the way to the butt. Came home today with a good 1/2 load on the truck.

I should have bought a lottery ticket. about a month ago I somehow put a cut 3/4 way through the fiskars handle. It was still useable but then turned up missing. Tossed a stem of brush on a pile today and saw the top of the fiskars handle peeking out of the brush pile. Recovered that but ordered a new one today from Baileysonline. $89,, 104 with shipping.That was at least $20 higher than when I first bought one.. Then a about a year ago my log tongs came up missing. I was poking around in the truck this afternoon trying to find my two steel wedges that have been amongst the missing for over a month. Spotted the log tongs that had fallen down inside the folded up back seat.

Back tomorrow to finish noodling/loading the remainder of the log then cut up the second tree. I suspect that one will be bad all the way but it could surprise me.

Hey I was just thinking about you and that truck-o-saurus you were going to sell a while back only a few days ago. Good to see you're stihl alive. :numberone:

G'day fellers,

Unlike the rest of you, I've been scrounging today. Blue collar, picking over the burn-piles. I took the saw horse with me today to help slice up these 3in candlebark stems.

27th Apr 1.jpg

Deeper in, though, there were a couple of quite ok peppermint logs.

27th Apr 2.jpg

27th Apr 4.jpg

And one not so good

27th Apr 3.jpg

Ended up with this

27th Apr 5.jpg

The chain on the 241 was pretty trashed by the end as there was a fair bit of dirt on the logs.

Sure, it was dirty. But it felt good. I'm sure if we're all being honest, we've all had experiences like that.

Scrounge on :rock:

G'day fellers,

Unlike the rest of you, I've been scrounging today. Blue collar, picking over the burn-piles. I took the saw horse with me today to help slice up these 3in candlebark stems.

View attachment 1078099

Deeper in, though, there were a couple of quite ok peppermint logs.

View attachment 1078100

View attachment 1078102

And one not so good

View attachment 1078101

Ended up with this

View attachment 1078103

The chain on the 241 was pretty trashed by the end as there was a fair bit of dirt on the logs.

Sure, it was dirty. But it felt good. I'm sure if we're all being honest, we've all had experiences like that.

Scrounge on :rock:
Thanks for propping this thread up with some scrounging pics Cowboy.

I did some on-line dating when I was a single parent (between marriages). Was kinda scary!

A lot of them didn't tell you lot of things they should have, and others just lied. The descriptions people give of themselves were almost never accurate.

Met someone that seemed really great on the first date ... and she expressed the same for me. Then, on the second date, she got so controlling I didn't walk away, I ran!

Some had no interest in knowing my kids, and a few others were just too interested!

Wasted a lot of money (I didn't have at the time) on dinners!

It is just tough out there, and it does seem like all the good ones are taken, so I agree with Steve's tactic. A lot of good people marry bad people then try to make it work. And the sad reality is that many good women cling to abusive husbands and won't let go and vice versa. It is a strange phenomenon.
Bingo!

I dated a gal and we ultimately parted as friends. She expressed interest in getting back together and I passed because she had no interest in my kids.

I know it is tough to leave a challenging partner due to trauma bonding, stockholm syndrome, etc but people need to think about what they want and GTFO!!!

I have had a lot of dates that did not go anywhere. Only one that I would call bad....that person posted pics on their dating profile BEFORE using meth. Ugh. Luckily I had groceries in the car and said it was hot and I needed to get them home lolol. Looked like someone ran a raker file between each of her teeth lolol

When you have 2 kids at home and are working 2 jobs to make ends meet, staying single is not a viable option. It was a difficult 4 years.
Exactly. I run a business and am very active within the community and have 4 kids at home (oldest is 18 and moved to his moms because there are no rules there) and attempt to keep a few hours a week for time to myself. It is hard to keep up on everything!

Welcome back!

Yes I get those messages...circular file

It is a challenge. There are good ones out there but you need to act fast when one comes on the market.

I know there are a lot of a-hole guys out there too and therefore women have their guard up, rightfully so.

The dating pool seems to be MOSTLY full of those who possess one or more of the following:
-Serial dater and/or afraid of commitment
-Whoa is me, I cannot hold a job or a relationship cause the world is out to screw me
-Party girl...40+ years old and closes down the bar 5+ nights a week
-Openly B/Closet B
-Only seeks a physical type...I know a gal who only dates tall native men. She is very beautiful and surprisingly for what she seeks, she has pasty white skin lol. She has trouble keeping men.
-High earner who wants everything on HER terms. MOST high earning women are not very flexible in relationships. There is only one way...their way!
-Low self esteem so only pursues/dates loser guys

What am I missing?

Put the laser on. I didn't think about this until another gentleman pointed it out to me, but using this, you've got to keep the saw pretty perpendicular to the log to get your correct 16". Don't know if this is going to work out or not. I may end up giving this thing to someone.

I'll try it, as I like trying most gadgets, but I hadn't factored in the fact that you have to keep the saw pretty square to the log for the laser to be accurate. We'll see.

Of course, I never did claim to be an Astro-physicist either!!! :)

View attachment 1077899

View attachment 1077900
And you also must always cut left to right.

It is a challenge. There are good ones out there but you need to act fast when one comes on the market.

I know there are a lot of a-hole guys out there too and therefore women have their guard up, rightfully so.
During a conversation with a good friend of mine (a smart, educated, very attractive stylish woman with a terrific sense of humor) we were talking about one of our mutual friends who needed our moral support. Our friend has a penchant for getting involved with guys who treated her like crap, and took her money, and it had happened again. I commented that I couldn't understand how anyone would marry many of the guys I've known. Her response to that was "I cannot believe anyone would marry most of the women I've known." I've kept that in mind!

The dating pool seems to be MOSTLY full of those who possess one or more of the following:
-Serial dater and/or afraid of commitment
-Whoa is me, I cannot hold a job or a relationship cause the world is out to screw me
-Party girl...40+ years old and closes down the bar 5+ nights a week
-Openly B/Closet B
-Only seeks a physical type...I know a gal who only dates tall native men. She is very beautiful and surprisingly for what she seeks has pasty white skin lol She has trouble keeping men.
-High earner who wants everything on HER terms. MOST high earning women are not very flexible in relationships. There is only one way...their way!
-Low self esteem so only pursues/dates loser guys

What am I missing?
The self worshipping/self absorbed, wannabe social media stars.

These are just observations. I haven't dated for 16 years. I don't envy anyone who is searching for a partner. My advice is if you're religious look at your church. You're pretty much assured your basic beliefs are aligned. If you're not religious look at organizations you volunteer for or community events that are are aligned with your beliefs. Don't look at bars, strip clubs or other places of ill repute(unless your looking for the hot crazy kinds).

I remember a movie or TV show, I think it had something to do with Alaska, where one guy was complaining about not being able to find a good woman. A friend asked where he was looking. It turned out to be in bars. The friend asked if he was looking for a drinking partner or a life partner. Needed to be looking somewhere else.

Latest posts

Back