Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Cowboy254 Does peppermint wood burn like the leaves smell? If so that must be quite fragrant.

Nice to see the X27 kicking across the pond(s). Looks like some stringy wood

G'day, no the wood doesn't have a peppermint aroma, that's only in the leaves. The smoke does smell quite nice though. I've wondered about using certain eucalypt species as smoking wood, they're all different and no doubt some will be better than others. However, like Australians regard anything that is not a eucalypt as junk for firewood, we also typically only go for hickory, cherry, apple etc for smoking and regard eucalypt as no good for that. I doubt it is so clear cut in either respect.

The wood isn't stringy though and is one of the more splittable eucalypts. Not uncommon to split a 20" round with one motivated hit from the X27. Not much good for lumber but great firewood, between oak and locust for density and very little ash.

G'day fellers,

I hit the Monstromint scrounge again today. I realised this bit is where the trunk separated out into four different stems, about 20ft up. That's Limby for reference and a good chunk of it had split off and you can see the edge of it to the left.

9th May 1.jpg

Each of the four stems was 20in plus. The termites had a look up two of the four.

9th May 7.jpg

So I got stuck into this

9th May 2.jpg

And then, behind it, this today

9th May 3.jpg

All 460 action today. I don't use it much, but every time I do I am reminded of what a capable saw it is.

TBC...

Here's what I did in the first go before doing some loading. As always, you don't want to go leaving cut rounds behind, so it's cut some, load some.

9th May 4.jpg

That filled the trailer

9th May 5.jpg

Then there was this

9th May 6.jpg

That filled the ute

9th May 8.jpg

I reckon I'm a little more than half way through the limb material and that's about 7.5 cubes or 2 cord already. Then there's the trunk which is another cord. I'm working to get as much of it home as I can before anyone else finds it. I ran out of light to unload and split tonight and my one wood customer has requested a load so tomorrow, my spare time will be spent unloading and splitting today's scrounge and taking a load to her. Thursday, though, it's on again :happybanana:

Scrounge on :rock:

Here's what I did in the first go before doing some loading. As always, you don't want to go leaving cut rounds behind, so it's cut some, load some.

View attachment 1081323

That filled the trailer

View attachment 1081325

Then there was this

View attachment 1081326

That filled the ute

View attachment 1081327

I reckon I'm a little more than half way through the limb material and that's about 7.5 cubes or 2 cord already. Then there's the trunk which is another cord. I'm working to get as much of it home as I can before anyone else finds it. I ran out of light to unload and split tonight and my one wood customer has requested a load so tomorrow, my spare time will be spent unloading and splitting today's scrounge and taking a load to her. Thursday, though, it's on again :happybanana:

You have shown me the biggest peppermint candy stick I have ever seen. :drinkingcoffee:

Pretty sure it has a replaceable tip, I'd have to look for sure, it's been sitting there a while, need to put it on a 550 and run it.

Soon, you know they take those pics all the time, they only show us what they want us to see ;).
Got a good ran Saturday night, the girls had a little fun down there.
My youngest had her brothers muck boots on(he's 6'1" now so they're pretty tall)she had to clean them up as she got a bit of water in them. Glad they're having fun. Later Sunday they went to a beach a few miles from the house, it was up to 75, but I'm sure the water wasn't :cold:.
All this was gone by Sunday evening, we may need to do something about that lol.
I got a bit more dirt moved onto the top of the dam after these were taken, and I spread some topsoil on the back side/sloped area. I needed to move the topsoil so I could raise the side(right side in these pictures) of the dam up to meet the natural grade of the ground better. Trying to make it so the water flows onto the untouched ground rather than straight down the back of the dam, which means I need to fill it higher in the middle of the dam.
Lots more dirt to move :yes:.
View attachment 1081061View attachment 1081062View attachment 1081063View attachment 1081064

Yes I did!:buttkick:
I was actually debating whether to like it or to heart it, since we didn't have hearts back then :heart::lol:. I heart most any post where someone takes the time to add a picture :).

You mean the logs, swing by and grab a few, I'd hate to see it go to firewood too, but I don't have a bandsaw mill.
So the one in that picture was the nonreplaceable nose that I wore out. If memory serves that would’ve been spring of 15. I think I bought your bar a few months later.

That looks like a good stash of kindling:

View attachment 1081140
I was thinking the same thing! When my BIL went to work on the Farm he quit bothering me for firewood. When I asked him what he was doing for wood, he said old fence boards from the Farm. Doc fenced all of the pastures on her 100 acre farm with 1"X6" White Oak boards 16' long, back in the 70's and 80's. If cows scratched their butt's on a fence and busted the boards he just threw them on a burn pile. He was burning 40-50 year old air dried White Oak. I took him a load of firewood, and took home 400 of the old boards. I put them to better use.
OHHmtcA.jpg

Y9Kgfp9.jpg

DfDtBzS.jpg

XQzGUsv.jpg

I was out on the rail trail again today... about 75 yards south of where I cleaned up the beaver felled tree a week or two ago. This time it was an uprooted tree. The ground has been quite wet due to lots of rain. Add in the fact that the woods have thinned out due to all the dead ash and the wind is taking down trees that would have been safe a few years ago. I also took out 8-9 smallish ash while I was there. You can see in the first photo that I had been there before. ;) I had the 261 and 461 with me today...
OTSU7564.gifVJVN4917.gifCXPA3459.gifDATI8134.gifXQHK5662.gif

I was thinking the same thing! When my BIL went to work on the Farm he quit bothering me for firewood. When I asked him what he was doing for wood, he said old fence boards from the Farm. Doc fenced all of the pastures on her 100 acre farm with 1"X6" White Oak boards 16' long, back in the 70's and 80's. If cows scratched their butt's on a fence and busted the boards he just threw them on a burn pile. He was burning 40-50 year old air dried White Oak. I took him a load of firewood, and took home 400 of the old boards. I put them to better use.
OHHmtcA.jpg

Y9Kgfp9.jpg

DfDtBzS.jpg

XQzGUsv.jpg
Good ''Scrounge' on the WO boards. Good re-use of them.

Edit: Something happened to what I had typed, so here goes again.
Ran by the log yard on the way home from a dismal fishing trip to the lake. I was surprised to see some new stuff. Turned around and got my trailer and started working on this pile of Mulberry. Ended up with 'not quite' full loads in truck and trailer.
Strong for a while then nothing in energy level. I'll go back today or tomorrow and get a half pickup load if it's still there. Just got my driveway cleared up. Now it's filling up again.

Attachments

• IMG_1792.JPG
    IMG_1792.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1797.JPG
    IMG_1797.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1793.JPG
    IMG_1793.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
Got the ute and trailer unloaded this morning and stacked. The stack is embiggening!

10th May 1.jpg

10th May 2.jpg

There have also been a few handy dead branches amongst the scrounge and I've been able to keep the house warm with that stuff, some of which is sitting on the pallets down the far end. Uglies are on the bricks at the near end. Pretty sweet when you can take scrounge out of the ute and throw it straight in the fire :sweet:

I also took a load to my customer this morning then it was time to go to actual work :(

Back