Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sometime last week I finished splitting my scrounge pile. I used to do it all with a maul, but for the last 8-10 yrs it's all hydraulic--don't even want to think about attacking that pile with a maul at my age.

Will leave it as is, loosely piled, for a while and then stack in the woodshed. We're still burning daily, so not ready to bury the cured stuff just yet.

The splitter moved down to my buddy Michael's place, where he and I have been doing his pile. Been mostly raining for several days here, so he and I are parked for now. Just as well, as I'm tied up with the fire district garage sale, hauling donations, moving stuff around. While not deluged with activity, it keeps me occupied enough that the days fly by. Which is good, as I'm counting down the days to when I escape to camp on June 3.

DSC03120.JPG

Just curious, is it legal to drive a truck with a cracked frame on the road?
I live in South Carolina, had a small box truck from ups, it was old when I got it. Someone told me it wiggled from side to side when I drove it.
The driver side frame had rusted out from salt that was put down in the Northern, so I got a welder to weld a 1/4 X 2 inch angle on the frame.
Still good when the truck stop running.

Thanks for the shout out man! IMO professional users are going to have the highest expectations and it's rightfully so...so to get accolades from one such as yourself, is an honor. Makes me feel good that I'm "hitting my marks" so to speak. Now I'm just looking forward to how our next project turns out. 👍
Like wise!

Ended up switching from.bamboo duty to tree duty. Plum, and a few apples trees came down, 2 of the apple trees were being held up by the vines from the living apple tree.(I did not realize this at first.) My plan was relatively simple, cripple the dead trees knock them over with the living one. The dead ones were pretty little and I had lots of space to mess around.... made a notch in the first dead tree, went to atart a back cut and place a wedge...and it gave me the dreaded crack of oh shite.. it was so rotten it broke off. And just hung there. Moved on to felling the living tree.. it had a good lean I to the 2 deals ones, and with the one dead one hanging by the vines it went over easy. Pancakes the second dead tree, which pulled what was left of the root ball right out the ground. Everything went well all things considered. Didn't want to spend the entire day there again so the wife helped me clean up the mess. Trimmed up a few low branches and took a few little decorative pine bushes out. I didn't get pics of everything. I'll have to get my wife to send me the pics she took.

Attachments

• 30403325413113.jpeg
    30403325413113.jpeg
    979.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 30403325416641.jpeg
    30403325416641.jpeg
    941.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 30403325243664.jpeg
    30403325243664.jpeg
    921 KB · Views: 0
Reminds me of an old guy that used to play pool in the same pool hall I did. He always said he was blind in one eye and couldn't see out of the other. Sure didn't keep him from always playing just good enough to win a guys money.

Back