Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would not even try an electric impact to start a motor. I can almost guarantee you will either strip the nut out that holds the flywheel on or break the flywheel. If needing to use some outside source of power to spin it over I would use an electric drill without the hammer drill option.
Spelling corrected ;).
@Red97 uses a setup that allows the saw to spin up without grabbing the impact/ drill and ripping it out of your hand :surprised3:. Basically it will only spin the nut/saw one direction, then free spins the other direction.

I'm back from shopping and a trip to the dealer. He convvirmed what I already suspected. I am just not pulling them fast enough. I demonstrated my starting technique - giving it 5 pulls. Handed it to him and it was runnjing on the first pull. This may be my swan song summer. As I told him "I have never had a problem starting saws before...but then I've never been 88 before either". Thinking back to that day I had no problem starting any of the saws that morning. The trouble hit when I was trying to start them with temps near 80 and already very tired.

Group at coffee call this morning suggested starting fluid so I bought a can. Dealer said that is a no-no as it is too hot for such small engines and would burn them up. Said to use Carb Cleaner instead. Bought a can of that. I am headed back to that huge Horse Chestnut in the morning.

I got a clean bill of health from the doc on my last checkup - all systems "normal" to "excellent". But I am now loosing weight at rate of about 1lb/day in spite of trying to double how much I eat. Not a good sign.
Sorry to hear that. My old man, is going through a similar issue. I don't personally think starter fluid or carb cleaner will be a big deal, well as long it's not a big squirt of it. Gotta do what you gotta do.

Sorry to hear that. My old man, is going through a similar issue. I don't personally think starter fluid or carb cleaner will be a big deal, well as long it's not a big squirt of it. Gotta do what you gotta do.
I think he just needs the "D" style starter and to drop start it if he's starting it on the ground.
I set a buddy's 310 up with one a while ago, he has no problem starting it now, couldn't get it going before.
Regardless it's a cheap try and doesn't hurt/change anything otherwise. But the dealer said it won't work...

Spelling corrected ;).
@Red97 uses a setup that allows the saw to spin up without grabbing the impact/ drill and ripping it out of your hand :surprised3:. Basically it will only spin the nut/saw one direction, then free spins the other direction.
There are set ups we use in rc for doing the same thing, call them drill starters. They don't actually spin the nut that holds the flywheel. You add a little bracket to the flywheel. There's a hex bit type engagement thing that has a one way bearing built into it that goes in a drill then spin it up.

I think he just needs the "D" style starter and to drop start it if he's starting it on the ground.
I set a buddy's 310 up with one a while ago, he has no problem starting it now, couldn't get it going before.
Regardless it's a cheap try and doesn't hurt/change anything otherwise. But the dealer said it won't work...
Dealers say lots of things won't work lol....

I've never ran one of those, it does look fun. I actually saw a small one on Craigslist yesterday for 5500, it needed a rear differential, he said he couldn't find one anywhere. Searching the model I believe him, hardly anything came up and when you clicked the link half the time it was gone, but I tried :).
Could have really used something like that yesterday. Who was it that said something about fish habitat :buttkick:(don't think I don't know ;)(nice score BTW).
Found a vein of clay, and it was full of rocks. This one was to heavy to lift(1400 I'd guess) pushed it up the bank and was able to get it in the bucket and then the loader up in the air about 3'. I carried it up out and when I got onto the flat area up top it fell out.
View attachment 1084330View attachment 1084331
Actually it wasn’t a fork lift, it was a rubber tired earth mover with forks on it. One tire was as tall as my truck.

There are set ups we use in rc for doing the same thing, call them drill starters. They don't actually spin the nut that holds the flywheel. You add a little bracket to the flywheel. There's a hex bit type engagement thing that has a one way bearing built into it that goes in a drill then spin it up.
That’s kind of what I was going after in my initial thought, but I couldn’t explain it that well!

Just a thought, perhaps some sort of starter mechanism could be formulated with an electric impact?

Being that you’re physically able to do every other part of firewooding, would hate to see you stop because of not being able to start the saw.

The "physcally able" part is also becoming a bit dubious. I'll be talking to the doc next week and see what he thinks. I suspect it is what I expected - excellent health until one thing goes wrong and then it will be a cascade.
Things started out fine in the spring. Got up to 3.5 hrs working no problem but now I have to force to make 3 hours. That could be more due to the heat (above average for the past couple weeks). " Que sera, sera, what will be, will be"

Drop start is out. I could not do that back in my best days and I tried. It may have worked for me with more practice.

Hmmm...I'll be out there tomorrow and will give that a shot a time or two - probably not much more to it that timing the moves right.

The "physcally able" part is also becoming a bit dubious. I'll be talking to the doc next week and see what he thinks. I suspect it is what I expected - excellent health until one thing goes wrong and then it will be a cascade.
Things started out fine in the spring. Got up to 3.5 hrs working no problem but now I have to force to make 3 hours. That could be more due to the heat (above average for the past couple weeks). " Que sera, sera, what will be, will be"
Harry no doubt you are physically well above your age peers. If i make it to 88 years old i’ll settle for just watching a warm fire. Cutting firewood now at age 65 tells me i dont stand a chance as i age on.

Wow, Huntington still mostly frozen mid May. Been some time since that's happened.

One of our local lakes was still frozen over as of a week ago...lake surface is right at 7k' feet.

Took this picture while out on a bike ride yesterday, elevation 6600'.
9xGaTU6z2b-6O7C8sQlnpxC3CbsAnxq50FSMFhMt4dk-1542x2048.jpg

Right, yours looks fine. I can only imagine a 10x10 popup tumbling across classic cars when some knucklehead didn't fasten it.
Was at a show and a gust came up the tents stayed on the ground but a guy had his fiberglass hood ontop of his cars roof. Needless to say it went airborne and lodged into a 49 mercury convertibles top . I'm sure it cost big bucks to fix

Back