Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wish I had that set up yesterday ago. Was getting a real nice bed for my 73 250 from a junk yard years ago. Didn't have a trailer at the time, best thing we could think of was get them to flip it upside down and set it on the bed of my brother dully with a few boards cut down in the stake pockets. Worked great till we got home. We didn't think about not having a loader to pick it off. Called all of our buddies up to help. 11 guys in total to lift it off and flip it right side up.
It's good to have friends.

I just tighten the line enough to hold the trees steady pulling approximately 180 against the lean so it can set back(pull direction may need to be adjusted so the tree will start in the direction of fall intended if it's not already leaning a bit that way).
Cut my notch, make a bore cut to set the hinge, drop down 2-8" below the bore cut and cut until the back cut is just past the bore cut.
Warning, everyone has told me for yrs it's dangerous, okay, stay at the stump and do your thing 🤣.
Now, the real warning, if this isn't a tree that's in a very similar situation to what you've already practiced on in the woods, you probably shouldn't be trying it out in a target filled environment!
All that being said, please have your wife video it :thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpictures::lol:.

View attachment 1100526View attachment 1100527

I was aiming the large branch that ran parallel with the main towards the stump(about 4' left of the stump, missed it by a ft) the main had substantial side lean and all the branches off the side it was on.
View attachment 1100528
I've done this hundreds of times. Once again, if you're not comfortable/experienced with what you're attempting, consider the cost of the repairs if things "go sideways". After hearing your questions and what you would do, I'd either rent a lift or pay someone :). I've heard it said, the lessons that cost us the most we are the slowest to forget ;).
Be safe bud, and if I was there I'd be happy to help out.

Man, I'd LOVE to have that skidding winch! I may get one in time, but after buying the larger tractor, now I need to replace most of my older class 1 implements with the larger class 2 ones. So, those take priority over the winch, which is expensive! I'll absolutely have the wife video or take pictures when I drop the tree. I'm relatively confident that I can get it down successfully, but after seeing the man-lift suggestion, I may just spend the coin on that as even if it costs me 200.00 to rent for a half-day, it would eliminate any concern on my part about hitting the house completely, and overall make the job go faster I would think.

Man, I'd LOVE to have that skidding winch! I may get one in time, but after buying the larger tractor, now I need to replace most of my older class 1 implements with the larger class 2 ones. So, those take priority over the winch, which is expensive! I'll absolutely have the wife video or take pictures when I drop the tree. I'm relatively confident that I can get it down successfully, but after seeing the man-lift suggestion, I may just spend the coin on that as even if it costs me 200.00 to rent for a half-day, it would eliminate any concern on my part about hitting the house completely, and overall make the job go fastery I would think.
Depending on what the implement is you can just adapt it for cat 2. Lots of 3 point stuff can be run behind a cat 1 or 2 hitch with adaptors.

Yoursme 2 Pairs of Cat 1 Quick Hitch Adapter Bushing Kit Fits Category 1 3-Point Hitch Tractors Replace TK95029 https://a.co/d/gghFjhb

Never used this brand but similar works just fine.

Depending on what the implement is you can just adapt it for cat 2. Lots of 3 point stuff can be run behind a cat 1 or 2 hitch with adaptors.

Yoursme 2 Pairs of Cat 1 Quick Hitch Adapter Bushing Kit Fits Category 1 3-Point Hitch Tractors Replace TK95029 https://a.co/d/gghFjhb

Never used this brand but similar works just fine.
You're correct, and I'm aware. I've already bought reducer bushings to take up the slop on the implements that I will use from the smaller tractor on the larger one. But some things just have to be "re-bought" or replaced. A 4' brush hog just seems like a time waster behind a 7' wide tractor LOL. The same with a box blade. There are some things that I have to buy again. Not to mention new attachment purchases like the grapple. I didn't have one for the small tractor, as it had a pinned-on bucket, so now I need one for the big tractor, IF the dealership ever gets the parts for the 3rd function in that I ordered when I bought the tractor 3 months ago!

You're correct, and I'm aware. I've already bought reducer bushings to take up the slop on the implements that I will use from the smaller tractor on the larger one. But some things just have to be "re-bought" or replaced. A 4' brush hog just seems like a time waster behind a 7' wide tractor LOL. The same with a box blade. There are some things that I have to buy again. Not to mention new attachment purchases like the grapple. I didn't have one for the small tractor, as it had a pinned-on bucket, so now I need one for the big tractor, IF the dealership ever gets the parts for the 3rd function in that I ordered when I bought the tractor 3 months ago!
Ah, yes. I was thinking about bigger stuff already lol. Cat 1 you can get some fairly large stuff. What were you jumping up from?

Went out this am to clear some of the brush and small trees away from our driveway. I had one oak tree that was growing right up with a large pine. I was cutting it down and it closed up and pinched the bar just at the end of the cut. The oak had a lean going right over the driveway, so I was confused. I put a tow chain on it and pulled it with the tractor. It came off the stump, but it was still vertical, and the chain had come off . I put the chain up higher and over a branch. The base was moving but it didn't want to fall. At long last it went down. There was a thick grape vine in the pine tree that wrapped itself around the top of the oak. 1st time for that.
View attachment 1101074View attachment 1101075
Glad you were able to reclaim your saw, and get the tree down safely.
Vines can cause some major headaches when dropping trees in tight areas, some can be literal :surprised3:.
Pretty sure that's not a grape vine, looks like the oriental bittersweet we have here.

Speaking about vices. I have a 5" Wilton that I scrounged up for $40 a few years ago. My 4 1/2" Craftsman which is my most used vise. Lastly this one that is great for holding round stock or any oddball shaped objects.
I've had a few "vices" in my day :sucks:.
I think my dad has that same craftsman "vise". He's had it since I was a kid, I've probably used it more than him lol.

Here's another very good vise that I have,

IMG-2113-S.jpg

It's a Reed 105,

IMG-2116-S.jpg

I really like it, and it gets used quite often...

SR

It has been a bit frustrating with our upstate trail cameras mostly sending back pictures of Bear and Coyote with occasional Turkey, Fox and Deer.

But this is the first real nice one to come back. I know the cell phone pics are not real clear, and he is likely still in velvet, but that looks really nice to me!

Based on the location, I'll bet he was the 7 point we saw on camera last year.

He is less than 50 yds from my stand!
That's awesome Mike. Will you guys try to take it this yr, or leave it for breeding purposes.
I've seen more large bucks this summer than I've ever seen before, plenty in that size range and quite a few bigger too.
What cameras do you use. I need to get something for out back, had a coyote out back I saw last week, need to "fix" that.

Bummer about the branch.
How'd she do.
I should get my 550's out, been a while since I've ran them:chainsaw:
Yea , the MK2 hot little saw , did very well the couple of mods I did, do make it perform better, and the 23RS chisel chain cut like a hot knife threw butter, 👍

Here's another very good vise that I have,

IMG-2113-S.jpg

It's a Reed 105,

IMG-2116-S.jpg

I really like it, and it gets used quite often...

SR
That looks darn near identical to my vise, just in way better shape. Mine is pretty beat up. My pop had it back on the farm, it was used and abused pretty hard. I'll have to remember to take some pictures of it. Handles been bent as long as I can remember.
I've always wanted to replace it with something a bit heavier, with an anvil and pipe clamp. But it's what I got and works just fine.

Let me know the details on the 4' brush hog, I know someone who's looking.
Did you buy one for the big tractor yet, how big are you looking for/did you get.
When do you plan on taking the tree down.

Latest posts

Back