Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In other news... Merry Christmas (to me)! My Christmas present came yesterday and I picked it up today. Cyber Monday sale on Amazon was extended from Black Friday sale I mentioned earlier. Fiskars X27 for $56. Late Monday night the sale was gone from Amazon and later came back with only one remaining. I ordered it and through the process it was described as 'Used/like new'. Someones return after they tried it out? Returned it.

Long story short(er) I went to my local Ace and they ordered one for me at the discounted price of $55. Picked it up today and just now tried it on a round on clear R. Oak setting in my driveway. OMG! Three not very hard wacks to bust off the first piece and a single wack for each remaining split. I didn't need a lot of force a maul would require and my shoulders didn't hurt. Amazing.

Note to self. Don't split on gravel driveway. I started to ding the edge a little from the rock. I'll go to the log yard and get a couple of 10" thick slices of 24"+ White Oak and leave them at my splitting areas.

Give Toney Rumore at tromix a call before you settle on any ar-platform big caliber, I believe he's forgotten more about guns then most will ever know. He's the main reason I went with the .458 over the 450bm. (Side note, he was pushing the .358 socom, but it was very new to his line up back then.)
I believe the guy that did my other ones gets his parts from Tromix.

If memory serves, the SOCOM has very limited magazine capacity, compared to the bushmaster? I believe that is why I chose the bushmaster for a future build. Although I could be wrong, it’s been a year since I’ve looked at that stuff.

Well, after going empty last year I'm very pleased to have taken a Bear and a Buck (w/338-06) and a nice doe with the shotgun this year!

I've got the grandkids this WE, which is the last WE of regular season, so this buck was getting down to the wire.

Matt and I may get out again in Muzzleloader season.

I think @gggGary is right in his previous post. My thin walled pipe system is not adequate for a hotter burning unit. At least, I wouldn't feel comfortable doing it. I do have fairly easy access to the backside so I could run a better (Class A?) flue. Then an insert would still be a possibility. I might look into a better flue pipe ahead of time. Any suggestions? What size do they normally take? 6"?
My flue pipe is 6" which is what the stove takes for a pipe.

Not going to lie fellas

I’m
View attachment IMG_5135.mov
42, been hunting since I was 12

That’s the first time I was with my mentor when I he a deer. Was a very special experience for me. I have to edit the video of him actually taking the deer as it’s too long. But here is a video of the “heard” before they scattered and we had to stalk across probably 800 yards of open field to get to that deer

Was the first time I used a bipod when big game hunting. The buck was only 128 yds away, so it almost felt like I was cheating!

The hard part was the stalk. A trespasser scared the 5 deer from where we saw them in the blind (she comes to feed the abandon cats). We did use a wooded area between the fields as cover, then I had to get a little higher to get the shot. I stayed low, crawling. He was looking right at me, but I don't think he figured out what I was.

With the price of food this year, it will be nice to have 2 deer in the freezer. Venison steaks are leaner than either chicken or beef and have more B-Vitamins and Omega-3, so it is good for ya! I also think it was a good deer to cull. I don't think his antlers had proper development.

Howdy Mainewoods, I'm cutting a lot of Oak and Hickory firewood with 20"Oregon Speedcut bar and 95TXL078G chain .325 pitch narrow kerf. A new chain cuts like a banshee and really brings out big chips but it is not holding a good edge very long like a Stihl Chain and requires a lot of touchups. Which chain are you guys running? My motto "Real Men Cut Firewood" for Folks that Want To Stay Warm.

Howdy Mainewoods, I'm cutting a lot of Oak and Hickory firewood with 20"Oregon Speedcut bar and 95TXL078G chain .325 pitch narrow kerf. A new chain cuts like a banshee and really brings out big chips but it is not holding a good edge very long like a Stihl Chain and requires a lot of touchups. Which chain are you guys running? My motto "Real Men Cut Firewood" for Folks that Want To Stay Warm. Cookie Cutting is for Kids
Try some Stihl 23RS Pro NK , it’s somewhat new if you can find it, no faster .325 chain out there , that I’ve found 👍

Back