Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You could connect you insert to the double walled pipe
We need to tread VERY lightly giving advice about wood heating systems when we know next to NOTHING about what is in place and it's suitability for use as a wood burning appliance vent system. This stuff can kill. The OP wisely sees that he needs to look at the entire system and only use parts designed for the task.

Little jealous of you guys with inserts/ glass fronts, I gotta look at my fire with the feed door open. Dad has an old grizzly wood stove with a glass front, but it's so covered in soot you can hardly tell there's a fire going.
Sean....

Clean the window off. Start with some fly ash on a paper towel, then switch to another new paper towel with some Windex on it and clean some more and once you get it almost off, get another paper towel and some clean Windex and finish the job and then discard the paper towels in the firebox. Then you can enjoy the fire without opening the door and letting all those BTU's go up the venting... I keep my shop vac handy to vacuum up the fly ash that falls off the view glass too. Keeps the wifey happy, of you have one that is....

We need to tread VERY lightly giving advice about wood heating systems when we know next to NOTHING about what is in place and it's suitability for use as a wood burning appliance vent system. This stuff can kill. The OP wisely sees that he needs to look at the entire system and only use parts designed for the task.
So true in this case because he doesn't have a chimney with a fireproof liner. His double walled pipe is hidden inside of a wall.

I believe the guy that did my other ones gets his parts from Tromix.

If memory serves, the SOCOM has very limited magazine capacity, compared to the bushmaster? I believe that is why I chose the bushmaster for a future build. Although I could be wrong, it’s been a year since I’ve looked at that stuff.
Mag cap is the same, both single stack in an AR mag. 450bm has slightly more speed in factory loads. The straight wall is legal for deer in pretty much all states. Bullet selection is pretty narrow. It's a odd ball size if I remember correctly too. The 458 uses the same bullets the 45-70 does, so it's very versatile if you're into hand loading. There's quite a bit available for it these days in factory loads. Guess it depends in what you're doing, for me it was a no brainer after talking with Tony.
Sean....

Clean the window off. Start with some fly ash on a paper towel, then switch to another new paper towel with some Windex on it and clean some more and once you get it almost off, get another paper towel and some clean Windex and finish the job and then discard the paper towels in the firebox. Then you can enjoy the fire without opening the door and letting all those BTU's go up the venting... I keep my shop vac handy to vacuum up the fly ash that falls off the view glass too. Keeps the wifey happy, of you have one that is....
Next time I'm over at mom and dad's ill give it a try and see how the glass cleans up.

Kind of like my highly modified Ruger Mini 14 rifle, modified by ACI. Fully bedded, their tube, their trigger job and their adjustable gas block that never needs cleaned. Chambered in 7.62 x 34 (I think), shoots a 223 hand loaded round and is a tack drive at 150 yards plus I have 2 100 round drums as well a 10 30 round mags for it and close to 5000 rounds loaded, maybe more as I just gave away 1000 rounds to a good friend for free. With all the crap going on, everything here is loaded and ready to rock if necessary including my long range 338 chambered Savage that is also reworked. It's a solid 1500 yard shooter with 300 grain Bergers in Lapua Brass with 102 grains of H1000 behind that with Federal Large Rifle Match primers. Rounds are all jumped to the lands minus 0.008 thousands.

I have been out using my, new to me, Valby CH150 with the hydraulic feed. I can truly say that having the 1080 rpm cutter drum surely makes a big difference than the direct drive cutter wheel chippers. Even running the tractor at 2k this chipper just blows thru branches. Before using it I opened it up to sharpen the so called new knives. They were not chipped but they were dull. The clearance between the knives and anvil was almost .150. That should have been .020 - .030. I had to square up the edges on the anvil plate and bottom plate. Both plates were rounded at the lower junction where they come together. The belts were slipping. I adjusted them and they do not slip anymore. All in all this is an awesome chipper. The 1st video is the CH150. The 2nd video is my CH140 with the hydraulic feed.

Attachments

• 20231207_104246.mp4
    12.8 MB
  • 20231205_105629.mp4
    28.7 MB
Try some Stihl 23RS Pro NK , it’s somewhat new if you can find it, no faster .325 chain out there , that I’ve found 👍
Will try it. It's hard to beat that Swiss made Stihl Chain. My Stihl dealer shut his doors and went out of business
2 years ago now the nearest dealer is 50 miles round trip. I wish Stihl would allow internet sales for parts and especially chain.
P.S. I went to Lucerne Switzerland a few years ago and loved everything except for the fresh warm milk on my cereal. The cow had just been milked.

Kind of like my highly modified Ruger Mini 14 rifle, modified by ACI. Fully bedded, their tube, their trigger job and their adjustable gas block that never needs cleaned. Chambered in 7.62 x 34 (I think), shoots a 223 hand loaded round and is a tack drive at 150 yards plus I have 2 100 round drums as well a 10 30 round mags for it and close to 5000 rounds loaded, maybe more as I just gave away 1000 rounds to a good friend for free. With all the crap going on, everything here is loaded and ready to rock if necessary including my long range 338 chambered Savage that is also reworked. It's a solid 1500 yard shooter with 300 grain Bergers in Lapua Brass with 102 grains of H1000 behind that with Federal Large Rifle Match primers. Rounds are all jumped to the lands minus 0.008 thousands.
223 is 5.56
The 7.62 is a mini30 as 7.62 is the same as .308 diameter

Can't believe SR hasn't dropped in to disagree with you guys about ballistics. Is he alright?
Even if he did, I'd not comment as I've been hand loading ALL my rounds and all of my hunting crew's rounds for at least 10 years now. I know what works and what don't.

I start my fires with a little propane or map gas torch, from the bottom of the clean out door up through one of the slots. Gave up on the boy scout method years ago lol.
I'm still doing a cup of wood pellets and a shot of lamp oil or alcohol. Have used pine cones. Works great if the wood is good and dry.

Latest posts

Back