Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also tried a new to me method of drying small wood items . This white birch went from 32% down to 18% after a few 3 minute cycles with an hour cool down between cycles . I’ve done 10 so far and nothing cracked even an oak cookie came out clean
View attachment IMG_7476.mov

Edit: I used the microwave

Also tried a new to me method of drying small wood items . This white birch went from 32% down to 18% after a few 3 minute cycles with an hour cool down between cycles . I’ve done 10 so far and nothing cracked even an oak cookie came out clean
View attachment 1136242
Magnifying glass?
🧐

Crap I used the microwave.
No offense, but are you measuring the MC of the outside of your block only? The outside might dry faster than the middle. If you can once cool, cut off an inch and measure MC. I've dried small wood turning blocks gravimetrically inside a box with a fan heater with light bulbs.

Blasphemy lol. Hopefully it wasn’t a vintage American piece!

I understand though, it can often be the right tool for the job
Is the 1960s vintage? Something my mother bought to make novelty cornbread… after sitting unused for years she offered it up around 1980 while I scrounging lead to cast bullets.

Straight gassed?
Possible but doubtful. These were /are used as props so they get standard mix... most likely 50:1 😳. But, any saw reved up without load won’t last long unless they both de-tune them and run a better mix ratio. Once I get into these I will contact the company with suggestions.

I used mine once for corn bread and everything stuck badly. Real mess to clean up. I guess I didn't have it seasoned properly.
Getting started, people usually make one more of three common mistakes:
-Not enough oil/grease
-Not preheating the pan for cooking too high or low.
-Trying to turn things over too soon before they fully cooked.

It just takes time and you’ll get used to doing it.

Regarding cooking I think it would be a lot of fun to have a big party with you guys. I also do own 34 acres about 25 miles away from here and we could swing in a GTG too.

Honestly, the reason why I’ve never done a GTG is a lot of the MN saw guys were loyal to mastermanipulator back when all the saw builder ******** went down on here and I got stuck in the crossfire because I was a moderator on here and ended up on the outs with most of them because of it. Obviously time has shown Randy’s true colors but at the same point a number of them won’t give me the time of the day. Frankly, their loss.

I consider the former owners friends but it was frustrating that they wouldn’t deal with problems on here and only gave the mods at the time a limited amount of authority to deal with the issues. I think if they had dealt with things directly that whole big blowup wouldn’t have happened. Oh well. Water under the bridge now.

Back