Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only cast iron piece I currently own is a small Wal-Mart special frying pan. It worked excellent for a lead smelting pot for pouring jig heads and split shot.
If you ever decide to stop doing that, please destroy the skillet or drill holes in it so nobody else will inadvertently restore it and start cooking with it and get lead poisoning. (Yes it happens.)

Usually skillets used for lead smelting will have white residue stuck to the cooking surface.

I was just joking about the deer, because I saw woods with no deer. But, my neighbor in WV said they had several farms within 10-20 miles that had bad break outs. In Frederick County, MD where I live, we have had no signs. I have just over 1 acre and I counted 30 deer in my back yard, so they were crammed into about half an acre. My daughter sent me this pic right at 12, she was eating lunch on the front porch. Pic was taken back in warm weather.
6zwgavV.jpg
We don't have a deer population problem. This after noon coming home on Main ST, I had to stop and let a single file line of 11 deer, cross the road, right between the shops.

I'm envious of everyone that gets to use cast iron. My wife's culinary skills are far, far superior to mine, she runs the show around here and absolutely hates cast iron.
My wife doesn't care to use anything but cast iron, she even has her own.

When I told her I was thinking of buying one of those OXO pans above for eggs, she looked at me like I was crazy, and said, "just use cast iron!"

SR

I had a pet bird die from the wife cooking with one of those no-stick pans. We will never cook with one again. Of it can kill a cockatiel I’m sure it’s no good for us….
Depends on which no stick pan, they are NOT all created equal.

Also depends on how old it was and how it was used ect...

SR

Also if you guys have those Dutch ovens with feet and want to use them in your oven or stovetop, you can "de-feet" them. I have cut the feet off with a cut off wheel then smoothed with a grinding wheel followed but reseasoning the piece so it does not rust.

I'll look and see if I have any pics to share.

Be sure to not do this to old/collectible ovens that may have collector value.
I use mine with feet to cook with coals. 8 underneath and 16 on the lid. Fun way to cook while camping. Also have used it in the oven. It will sit down in the oven rack.

I use mine with feet to cook with coals. 8 underneath and 16 on the lid. Fun way to cook while camping. Also have used it in the oven. It will sit down in the oven rack.
What size is your Dutch oven? We bake biscuits in my 4 Qt every camping trip. 6 Qt is used for the stew. Got my Nephew's wife into cast iron cooking when camping with us. She uses those paper liners, though.

Yeah I will never touch a vintage piece with any sort of tool beyond a wire brush. They are stripped with the proper chemicals and elbow grease only.

There are no rules for modifying modern and/or Asian pieces. I have cut the handles off many newer pieces for use in air fryers, smokers, and BBQs.
Have you ever tried electrolysis for cleaning up cast iron? It's gentle.... Arm & Hammer washing soda (laundry soap), water and electricity. I've cleaned up a lot of tools and machine parts using it... I'd think it would work well with cast iron cookware to get rid of corrosion and thick crud. Low physical effort and it's self limiting. It also doesn't remove any good iron the way abrasives do. If there is a lot of rust running it through a few times with a steel wool scrubbing or a steel brushing to remove the lose heavy stuff in between will get rid of the corrosion. Caution... if you have cast iron from a stove that has been nickeled or chromed it will remove that too as it attacks the corrosion under it!

G'day fellers,

I went back out to Will's today to pick up wood that I cut on Sunday. Splitting and loading only, hopefully I'll do more cutting this weekend. It is a bit daunting splitting rounds like this but it wasn't too bad.

20240116_131517.jpg

Here's one for the wildlife enthusiasts

20240116_133610.jpg

Got the ute and trailer loaded, I'll split them down a bit more after I unload another day.

20240116_142930.jpg

20240116_142953.jpg

Scrounge on :rock:

Latest posts

Back