Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G'day fellers,

I went back out to Will's today to pick up wood that I cut on Sunday. Splitting and loading only, hopefully I'll do more cutting this weekend. It is a bit daunting splitting rounds like this but it wasn't too bad.

View attachment 1144899

Here's one for the wildlife enthusiasts

View attachment 1144900

Got the ute and trailer loaded, I'll split them down a bit more after I unload another day.

View attachment 1144901

View attachment 1144903

Scrounge on :rock:
I can't imagine splitting rounds that large by hand. At least all the cracks will help out.

G'day fellers,

I went back out to Will's today to pick up wood that I cut on Sunday. Splitting and loading only, hopefully I'll do more cutting this weekend. It is a bit daunting splitting rounds like this but it wasn't too bad.

View attachment 1144899

Here's one for the wildlife enthusiasts

View attachment 1144900

Got the ute and trailer loaded, I'll split them down a bit more after I unload another day.

View attachment 1144901

View attachment 1144903

Scrounge on :rock:
Find the cracks…exploit them. Reading a round to be split is something of an art.

Oh, I AM going to use that nasty four letter word - SNOW. It's still below freezing here as in most of your areas. We got a DUSTING of snow. Not even an inch. The local ST Louis news stations are consumed with stories about traffic. "Snow plows aren't as effective in temps this cold.....", "Traffic accidents everywhere.....", "Major traffic delays on many roads....". On and on. Think of the resources the City could save by not plowing/treating roads when snow volume is really a non issue. Slow down Idiots. I use to have an hour drive on the interstates to go to work, and there would still be idiots trying to go 75 mph when there's a layer of snow. I don't miss that part of my life at all.

I was looking at the temps out your way last night :cold: . They will be here tomorrow morning, saying 7 with wind in the teens, it's currently a toasty 13 with wind in the teens :havingarest::lol:.
Don't worry though, it will change soon enough.
Wouldn't want to be like this guy thinking it won't lol.

It's a nice balmy 26 degrees and snowing in Central Mass today. With this white stuff on the ground I'm afraid that the ground is never going to freeze this year.

Attachments

• 20240116_085831.jpg
    20240116_085831.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
I'm like that too. No Sushi for me. If it's raw it's bait. I worry about bacteria in under-cooked pork/chicken. Until recently, I even cooked my steak med to well done. Yea, I know that's a crime. So, I've been slowly changing my steak cooking habits to medium/rare.
Steaks are best when they are mooing across the plate trying to avoid your fork. 🤣

Oh, I AM going to use that nasty four letter word - SNOW. It's still below freezing here as in most of your areas. We got a DUSTING of snow. Not even an inch. The local ST Louis news stations are consumed with stories about traffic. "Snow plows aren't as effective in temps this cold.....", "Traffic accidents everywhere.....", "Major traffic delays on many roads....". On and on. Think of the resources the City could save by not plowing/treating roads when snow volume is really a non issue. Slow down Idiots. I use to have an hour drive on the interstates to go to work, and there would still be idiots trying to go 75 mph when there's a layer of snow. I don't miss that part of my life at all.
Snowy here today also. Most cars are driving under 30mph. The idiots in SUV's and pickups are doing 45 - 50mph. I'm waiting to see how long it takes for one of them to meet the drainage ditch.

Glad you're past that!
Everyone in my crew stopped by the stove this morning for a warm up and said something to the effect of " I'm so glad we have a wood stove"! There just something about that kind of warm!!
Yup, it can't be beat by any other heat. Anytime I am going out for an extended period of time I overheat my body in front of my woodstove.

Attachments

• 20240116_091637.jpg
    20240116_091637.jpg
    673.6 KB · Views: 0
View attachment 1144705

not these people:

man!! it is cold out there! really cold! and only 33f. but, i went out and felt a headache immediately. winds i guess. but slight. and i am in 4th largest... and we go a city full of problems! traffic. got an 18 wheeler on it side W of town. been there for 4 hours, and expected to take 4 more... at least to right it up! remove it. is it slick out there?
the news guy went to other side of freeway on bridge. and another 18-whleer drive wheels spinning... and truck only moving inch at a time! and the traffic jam is monumental!! for miles! fun to be there... coffee in morning drive... and now stuck put in car etc for hours!!!
real mess. both sides of freeway shutdown!!!
and elsewhere here all the on n off ramps to freeways becoming an issue: black ice!
suddenly, my cold toes (even in flannel slips) not so much of a problem!!!
The real question here is why did you go out with the conditions being so bad?

View attachment 1144922
Anybody have any ideas on the vintage or brand this pan is? I do know that it was made before 1967, because it has no country of origin marking.

Possibly Birmingham Stove & Range. Red mountain series.
Edit.1940s
Thank you for the reply. After looking at lots of pix on the interwebs I see most of them have a letter next to the number. I did find 2 on evilbay that showed just the 5 or the 5 with a dot next to it like mine. Both listings claimed they are BSR.:yes:

nice! i like cast iron pans. got some dutch ovens, too. don't use them often. plan to put put in front of fireplace in wilderness cabin. like in the olden days. effect!

i dont do eggs in cast iron. hear it ok. but i prefer my oxo pans... winners of Am Test Kitchen fry pan shootout!
View attachment 1144711
I need to post you up a picture of the fireplace at our farm. This house was built between 1735 and 1750. It has a huge central chimney with 3 fireplaces in 3 separate rooms. The dining room has one like yours with two holes off to the right for baking bread. Pictures to follow on my next trip to the farm.

Latest posts

Back