Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For bucking large, suspended logs, plastic wedges are your friend! Put them in the cut as soon as it is deep enough, and don't be afraid to use more than one. If cutting in the middle, go 2/3 through from the top, then finish from the bottom up.

They will often save you if you have misread the tension direction.

Tension can do very strange things to wood. I once milled a 6.5" X 6.5" Ash post that literally imploded after it was milled. We heard some cracking, we got back, and it literally just blew apart.

Pounding a plastic wedge can also, often, un-pinch a stuck bar.

They are also invaluable when stumping and milling.
For what it’s worth, i literally scrounge all the wood i get. Pick up from the curb, split, re-sell.

I actually used a slice from the tree feller to hold open a cut to prevent a cut from closing up.

Any rec’s for wedges? They run $14 a piece for husqvarna wedges from Lowe’s by me.

That’s funny Chipper, tonight at dinner I told my daughter that since I’ve been taking her skiing all year she is gonna repay me this spring y helping haul wood outta my pal Joe’s farm. She is a wiz on the splitter lever, has been for probably half her life, but tonight I told her she is going to learn how to use the saw this spring. I have chaps and gear for her and she’s always known to steer clear of a running saws business end.

I’m thinking that 550xp is probably a great saw for her to learn on too
I've done the best I can not to push my kids in a direction I want them to go, but rather in a direction they should go. But, I also want to be able to hand down knowledge.
One thing it seems so many can't do well, is to sharpen a chain :oops:. And it's one thing I'd really like to teach him. He does enjoy using my raker grinder, but I'm not sure he understands how to set up the first couple cutters. Last weekend the cutting I did was for a friend of his(his friends mom is also one of our friends, but he really wanted to help), which meant I had a captive audience :). So I took the opportunity to sharpen a few chains(didn't need to though as I had others I could have used) and asked him to help. Hopefully he grabbed onto a few of the tips, but until you do them yourself you don't totally understand what/why you're doing what you are, and all the more when you cut with a well sharpened chain. I plan on having him sharpen a chain in the near future. The barn is also something I wanted to build with him and be able to use with him.
If my boy put on my chaps they'd be up to his knees, he's about 6" taller than me lol. That's part of the reason I set him up on that locust log, no chaps but it was clear of everything.

I've been really busy, lots going on here. I "finally" got all the logs off my equipment trailer, as I'm headed to a job skidding some logs for a guy, so I pulled the trailer out to where I could hook up to it with my PU,

Resized-20240210-133312-S.jpg

The pallet forks work pretty good for moving trailers,

Resized-20240210-133253-S.jpg

I hope to get loaded up tomorrow.

SR

Pretty cheap here at the local saw shop. Cheaper than $14 for the crappy soft Husqvarna/Stihl brand wedges.
Our local shops don't carry them here. I don't use them much bucking(edit, don't use wedges in general much bucking, not the k&h wedges), but when you I guess a few bucks isn't that big of a deal anyway.
Just looked them up online, quite reasonable, I better order a few :).
Thanks.

"Madsen's wedges are made by the same people who make Double Taper wedges"
The man that developed the Double Taper wedge worked on a falling crew with my dad back in about 1960. They were working in the Gifford Pinchot NF in south Washington State. When he first started making plastic wedges, the falling crew used them and provided the feedback on the different designs as well as the type of plastic they were of. I still have some of the old wedges, and we still use their current production ones!

Wife’s friend told this homeowner I like to cut wood for firewood.He didn’t quite get it…….tree service dropped the trees, Ive got Ash for the foreseeable future.

Also, what are you fellas using for eyewear? I sweat and these “anti fog” safety glasses still fogged up.

View attachment 1152541View attachment 1152542View attachment 1152543
Good score Ryan. The big logs off the ground I wood noodle from the end and then make your bucking cut. If you need wedges just for bucking check out wally world. Looks like you've been to the @Sawdust Man chain tensioning school. :laugh:
836762-3a082ff0353cd7697410cd22b14e5413 (1).jpg

Good score Ryan. The big logs off the ground I wood noodle from the end and then make your bucking cut. If you need wedges just for bucking check out wally world. Looks like you've been to the @Sawdust Man chain tensioning school. :laugh:
View attachment 1152684
It's obviously taking a break... some are capable of relaxing more than others who tend to remain uptight. 😉

Back