Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I could but I still don’t like the way the stock fits me.

Some people shouldn’t be allowed to own tools. Or saws.

Kudos to you for getting paid to do that job and putting food on your family’s table. Onions to those engineers though lol.

A little bird tells me that he’s sulking because somebody called him out elsewhere on the forum. Maybe he’ll go into hiding for four years like he did last time he got sideways with a few people on here. Or we can hope anyway.
BL going away!!!! Sounds too good to be true.

Ran into some serious traffic congestion on the way into town yesterday..

View attachment 1154085
Looks like dinner to me! Or dinner's dates?... We have just recently been granted a spring turkey season in NB due to a large influx of birds from the south. Currently it's a tag by draw type situation and based on last year's number of applicants vs. number of tags it's about a 1/6 chance. Hoping I get a shot at one this year!

I think they fall in the baby it and never push it and it will be ok category. It is quite hard to go from running pro saws to running homeowner specials. two completely different worlds!
Well Said. Especially going from pro saws to the smallest home owners saw. When I got fresh out of the navy and bought my property. I borrowed my friends 170 with a 16 inch bar. To remove some trees in my front yard to expose more view. About 16 or 17 trees!🤣 All fell limbed and bucked into firewood. All Spruce. Any where from 8" D and 30' tall to 20" D and 80' tall. Well, after I wore out the factory 16" bar on about day two on tree number six or seven. I went to town and bought a 12" bar for it because I new the 16" was robbing power! 🤣 I finished all the trees in about 4 or 5 days. The saw and both the 16 and 12 inch were straight worn the heck out. Boy, I mean done!! I went through four or five chains. In that short week. 🤣 When I took the saw back to my friend he looked at me and said "where's my longer bar" I said "you don't need that thing It robs power" He said "I like it for reach!" 🤣🤣🤣 After he took a closer look at the saw. He said "Dude!! You owe me a new saw!!" I said "ok, I'll get you a 180. You need something with more power". 🤣🤣🤣
True story!
I ordered a 660 from Madsen's about a week later. For myself of course! 😁

Well Said. Especially going from pro saws to the smallest home owners saw. When I got fresh out of the navy and bought my property. I borrowed my friends 170 with a 16 inch bar. To remove some trees in my front yard to expose more view. About 16 or 17 trees!🤣 All fell limbed and bucked into firewood. All Spruce. Any where from 8" D and 30' tall to 20" D and 80' tall. Well, after I wore out the factory 16" bar on about day two on tree number six or seven. I went to town and bought a 12" bar for it because I new the 16" was robbing power! 🤣 I finished all the trees in about 4 or 5 days. The saw and both the 16 and 12 inch were straight worn the heck out. Boy, I mean done!! I went through four or five chains. In that short week. 🤣 When I took the saw back to my friend he looked at me and said "where's my longer bar" I said "you don't need that thing It robs power" He said "I like it for reach!" 🤣🤣🤣 After he looked closeer at the saw. He said "Dude!! You owe me a new saw!!" I said "ok, I'll get you a 180. You need something with more power". 🤣🤣🤣
True story!
I ordered a 660 from Madsen's about a week later. For myself of course! 😁
opening up the muffler actually does them quite a bit of good.

Saw starts and runs, when turning off, it doesn’t turn off

Not too fun pulling the ignition wire….
Yea , my 394 was doing the same, come to find contacts inside switch were worn out, just replaced it was fine , check all leads and good ground to case ,

Saw starts and runs, when turning off, it doesn’t turn off

Not too fun pulling the ignition wire….
I got a couple ol clunker saws with faulty kill switches. I just hit the choke to shut'm down. Then again. I hardly ever run them, so I'm not all too concerned about it.

You're correct...difference being a 2-4 hour job vs. an 8-12 hour job. Another difference is people aren't prepared for a $1500-$2000 water pump job.
The last Subaru I did I just pulled the engine, was much easier to do it on the stand, pulled the heads while I was there to, had them decked, put ARP studs in and new head gaskets. It was a school project for a budget beater endurance race and I did not want it to grenade while running 12 hours around VIR. Last I knew the team after us put a turbo on it and thrashed it again for another 14 hours. Doing it myself I think cost around $800 for everything.

Idk about the ms 170 but the 180c we used as truck saws got the crap ran out of them and no love. Always hung in there.
I agree, I have one and I would bet it sees more use than my 044 Stihl and Echo 620p. I have even ragged on it taking down a few big white oaks in my bucket truck cause its small and light, and then dropped it from 35ft up, oops lol. As long as the chain is sharp it cuts like a real champ.

I put the walbro WT-215 carb on it so that I could actually tune it in and opened the muffler up a bit. Honestly impressed with it for what it is.

Back