Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Uncle Mike, I stopped by the Farm today and talked it up with Joe

He is cool with letting me do all the bucking and splitting at the farm and then bringing home splits.

I told him to mark all the trees he needs me to remove. I have a few dump trailers lined up for hauling. But I was thinking, if I grab my pals excavator with the thumb, we’d just drop them all one weekend and stack them over by the hay barn, then I could get them bucked and split in a leisurely pace

What do you think?

I've found a single grapple between the pallet forks to be the most useful by far! For logs,

Resized-20230826-105117-S.jpg

or brush or firewood,

Resized-20230805-113600-S.jpg

In fact for about everything anyone would use a grapple for.

SR
Yep, you had shared some pics of it a while back. I printed them off for reference when I get around to adding a finger to the forks. Will be handy for sure. I'll still add a root grapple to the arsenal at some point.

I've found a single grapple between the pallet forks to be the most useful by far! For logs,

Resized-20230826-105117-S.jpg

or brush or firewood,

Resized-20230805-113600-S.jpg

In fact for about everything anyone would use a grapple for.

SR
Did you reinforce the pallet fork frame? I feel like would put pressure on the frame where it wasn't designed to.

Do you want to move next door and me new best buddy neighbor??

That’s an impressive machine, what make and model is that?
I am told upstate NewYork can be fairly rural yet..? true..? That machine is a Eastonmade Axis. Had it three or four years now. It's a slick trick for sure.

Did you reinforce the pallet fork frame? I feel like would put pressure on the frame where it wasn't designed to.
No, I bought high quality to begin with, so I didn't have to.

I can slide them together, stab them under a boulder and pry it right out of the ground,

Resized-20211027-171158-2033-S.jpg

I pryed out much bigger boulders than that one.

I believe in buy once, cry once. lol

BTW, I use the much stronger "global" attachment, rather than the skid steer attachment.

SR

I am told upstate NewYork can be fairly rural yet..? true..? That machine is a Eastonmade Axis. Had it three or four years now. It's a slick trick for sure.
Here’s a picture of my backyard, it’s rural enough

Sometimes I wish it was more rural

I gotta drive half hour to tractor supply

Or supermarket, well there is a little one 15min away

The taxes in this commie state are what stink the most IMG_5917.jpeg

The taxes in this commie state are what stink the most View attachment 1155002
20 years ago when I moved to this town it was an event to go grocery shopping......and the we got a WalMart and everything that comes with it. Near time to be looking somewhere else.

The taxes in this commie state are what stink the most
State taxes, land taxes, traffic, cost of living is terrible, and it goes on and on!

SR

20 years ago when I moved to this town it was an event to go grocery shopping......and the we got a WalMart and everything that comes with it. Near time to be looking somewhere else.
Hey pal, so…

I see some of the Eastonmade’s have two separate engines, that’s pretty slick

But, in your opinion (because you actually own one) do you think they’d be better off with a bigger engine running a bigger hydraulic pump and just some hoses to run both the conveyor and splitter??

Pretty cool idea nonetheless

And yeah man, Walmarts collect trash, I don’t care what anyone says, in my 42 years I can tell you, trash comes in ALL colors

I was in the Glenville blows....er Lows the other day looking for a new freezer. There was none, so I asked a guy why they don't carry freezers, he said they do, but don't put them out. I asked why, and he said because guys load them on a cart and push them right out of the store! Then he said, they weren't allowed to stop them, and have to watch them drive away with a FREE freezer!

I just shook my head!! lol

SR

Got out and worked on the trails a bit this morning. Won't be able to get up for a few weeks so it was nice to get out again. I released 2 oak trees from the surrounding aspens to give them room to grow. I also cut up a small oak that was dead and a standing dead sugar maple for firewood.20240218_100049.jpg
Have a good week guys!

Latest posts

Back