Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have not seen a box since before covid!
Local shop gets about 30 boxes of federal blue boxes every fall. I bought a few. He does a two box limit

So my buds grabs two for me too on all the weird stuff I have that he doesn’t. That’s how I was able to stock up on some 25-35 also

I picked up a bunch right before the covid price skyrocket! View attachment 1159817
If I would have known what bulk ammo would cost now, I would have stacked it a lot deeper 8 years ago. Still have some 5.56 range trash marked $0.13 each. We're over double that now. Pathetic.
Do any of you fellas have experience with Palmetto State Armory rifles? I'm kicking around building an AR10 from them.
Kinda like the Wal mart of gun parts/guns. I've used several of their lower parts kits, few uppers in various calibers. Bought misc parts when on sale, mags, furniture ect.
Biggest thing I can reccomend with an AR-10 build is stick to one mfg for the upper and hand guard there were several different versions of uppers that had the top rail at various heights and they don't all line up. I used Aero precision m5e1 upper made life a lot easier imo. Went off the lr308 pattern platform vs the original ar 10. Parts seemed much more plentiful and easy to get. Mixing between the two usually leads to cycling issues for some reason as well. Also, which may or may not matter to you, most ar-15 drop in triggers fit in the lower and work just fine.

Do any of you fellas have experience with Palmetto State Armory rifles? I'm kicking around building an AR10 from them.
Having built more AR's than I can count and using PSA parts in more than half I can say that their Milspec Parts are very well built. Especially for the money. At quick glance there are at least 6 lower kits form them in my to do parts compared to just 3 from other brands at the moment.
If I would have known what bulk ammo would cost now, I would have stacked it a lot deeper 8 years ago. Still have some 5.56 range trash marked $0.13 each. We're over double that now. Pathetic.

Kinda like the Wal mart of gun parts/guns. I've used several of their lower parts kits, few uppers in various calibers. Bought misc parts when on sale, mags, furniture ect.
Biggest thing I can reccomend with an AR-10 build is stick to one mfg for the upper and hand guard there were several different versions of uppers that had the top rail at various heights and they don't all line up. I used Aero precision m5e1 upper made life a lot easier imo. Went off the lr308 pattern platform vs the original ar 10. Parts seemed much more plentiful and easy to get. Mixing between the two usually leads to cycling issues for some reason as well. Also, which may or may not matter to you, most ar-15 drop in triggers fit in the lower and work just fine.
The AR10 platform was never used by the US military so there is no Milspec. Sean has made a good case for what I consider as the best pattern for them. The Milspec in the AR15 allows for mixing and matching different brands of parts very easily. That is absolutely not the case in the AR10 platform. At ease, carry on, smoke em if you've got em. :drinkingcoffee:

Here's the deal, an independent lab tested the instapot and several other brands and found that they did NOT stay above 10 pounds pressure when they went to their off cycle, the pressure would drop just below 10 pounds.

If you know anything about canning, you know IF you drop below 10 pounds (at sea level) you have to start all over!

I bought the only one (electric) that DID stay above 10 pounds and that's what I use for small batches, for big batches I use one of our American canners.

I think my small electric canner is a "Curry" brand, that's rated for canning, not just cooking.

BTW, I have one of the non rated for canning, electrics too.

SR
We use the electric pressure cooker for hot bath only. Bought a Nesco electric canner on Amazon and it works great for small batches. We can use it every day in our small garden as stuff ripens. Big batches still get the large stovetop.
I'd be very cautious using the cooker as a canner due to what the above post says. You really have no idea what the pressure is

The stuff you find when cleaning up your basement

Wife told me her sister is coming for Easter

Means my two nephews will be sleeping in my “man cave” on the couch.

Had to clean all the hunting stuff up off the couch and found 8 boxes of 5.56

SweetView attachment 1159809
Nice! 👍 And they're a decent grain weight too. None of that 40 gr. blown off target by a tiny puff of wind business.

Temps close to 70 today I guess, and hope, spring is here. With the warm weather I am getting motivated to get my wood beater truck road worthy, I bush hogged a guys field and he sold me this for $500 a few years ago. He thought it was locked up and was going to cash it in when scrap went up. I spent 45 minutes with it and drove it onto the trailer..... Thinking a flat bed is in order.

What do you guys use to haul wood with?

1709823709312.png 1709823742215.png

Resized-20230805-123639-S.jpg

Resized-20230307-155219-S.jpg

IMG-0358-S.jpg

SR

Temps close to 70 today I guess, and hope, spring is here. With the warm weather I am getting motivated to get my wood beater truck road worthy, I bush hogged a guys field and he sold me this for $500 a few years ago. He thought it was locked up and was going to cash it in when scrap went up. I spent 45 minutes with it and drove it onto the trailer..... Thinking a flat bed is in order.

View attachment 1159926 View attachment 1159927
IMG_7793.jpegIMG_7792.jpeg

Tried out the winch . Need to make a stand-off to attach to the log but for now I’m using the bucket . I’ll never not use the winch again . I’m also building a stand for the logs to get them off the ground milling changed out the bar and sharpened the ripping chain the cut is much better now
View attachment IMG_7960.mov
IMG_7961.jpeg

Back