Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since we are talking tractors here (surprise I am also a tractor addict next to saws and cast iron lmao):

These two do the brunt of the work around here, the 580c does the big boy stuff like hauling wood, digging stumps, pushing brush piles etc. The Ferguson is a real work horse too, it is on bush hog & finish mower duty, soon to be on plow and disc duty for the garden, I also run a Valby CH230 wood chipper with it.

1710420689827.png 1710420708854.png

These are just for fun, a 1953 Case DC, a 1951 John Deere B and a 1948-9 Famall cub. I also have another MF 35 but my plan is to fix and sell it so I am trying not to get attached to it lol. They all run except for the Deere and cub. I am pretty confident that the Deere will run, I got the engine unstuck and spinning good now, the cub is still locked up, I have not had time to mess with it yet.

1710420809093.png 1710420843702.png 1710420866731.png

Sorry for blowing up the thread with pictures of POS tractors but you guys seem like you would appreciate them. If you like these I will go through all of the ones that my dad has as well.

Morning guys.
Got the rounds I cut at the neighbors all split, I had hoped to split today when I got home too, maybe tomorrow as it's raining all day. But, if there's an opening I'll go out for a bit.
Pile on the right. The round pile out back is at least 10 times the size of what this one was, that's gonna take a little while.
20240313_102612.jpg

O P E had a go fund page , she has a aggressive form of breast cancer, he was taking on a few saw builds to compensate the medical costs,
That's a bummer.
Middle of life's storms isn't usually a good time to get a saw ported from what I've seen thru the yrs.

I wish I had the extra room some of you guys do. The bulk of my wood pile is in the front yard and wraps around the side of the house. My wife has pitched a fit a few times now about it recently.
That's totally on the neighbors property, as is most of my seasoned log pile and part of the back portion of the log pile to the left in that picture. That being said, I do have other spots I could put it on the property, but this gets the best sunlight other than to the south of the pond and I want to leave all that as open as I can for when I happen to get a skid here to work on it more.
The log pile to the left was never supposed to be there long term, I had a few logs stacked there that could be milled, then we had the wind storm/ tornado and I put them there because it was close and quick. They're really jamming up my turnaround.
Also, I can't put anything else on top of it, my little orange tractor won't lift any higher.
20240309_134242.jpg

We were an industrial kubota dealer at the machine shop. Biggest issue we had with 15w40 was cold weather cranking. Either going to a 5w40 synthetic or a 5w30 Dino almost always solved that issue. Seemed to affect the smaller 3 cylinder and every 2 cylinder engine we came across. Wasn't just a kubota issue either, Perkins, Yanmar, and Shibora all had the same problems. Moat notable was husqvarna walk behind concrete saws. Local company bought 10 of them over summer, did the first oil change then that winter non of them would start. We got them in the shop and had no issues starting them. Wasn't till talked with kubota and left them sit outside in the cold that we realized the issue. Kubota reccomended switching to a 5w30 oil. At the time it was rather difficult to get, so we eneded up getting it from a local tractor dealer. (Kubota branded oil) solved the problem. The engine cranked noticeable faster with the lighter oil.
Manufacturers usually only reccomend oil they have tested, there are more then a few that are stuck in the stone age when it comes to synthetics. However the dealers can get the specifications of what oil has to meet, so virtually any oil can be used as long as it meets the minimum requirements of the mfg. Since we have the SAE and they govern minimum oil requirement any diesel rated oil, conventional or synthetic, will work just fine. I perfur synthetic, it doesn't break down as fast as Dino oil and has better lubricity, film strength and tolerates high heat better. Any of the old can't mix, makes gaskets leak bs you hear is from the first synthetics thay came out and was pretty much all a load of crap at this point.
I use 5w40 t6 Rotella in all my diesels, trucks,tractors and generators, but did switch to a Mobil delo 15w40 synthetic when I couldn't get it over covid. Only thing that didn't get it is my kubota. It just cranks over too slow during winter with a 15w oil in it.
I tried pouring 15w-50 M1 synthetic when it was only about 0ºF. It was like pouring sorghum in 0 temp. After that I changed to 10w-40 Diesel rated M1 for the winter. I noticed the oil consumption went up a little. (engines built in the 80s, before the 0W-x oils came out). Made the engines a whole lot easier to start at 10 to 20 below. RTFM. The manufacturer puts the oil/temp chart in the manual. Many of the oil/temp specs are online now.

But, if there's an opening I'll go out for a bit.
I went out this morning to find no rain, so I quick jumped back on the workbench project.
20240314_102136.jpg
And I now present to you: 100 drawers. Plus 30' of bench and tool wall above it all.
20240314_102305.jpg
20240314_103437.jpg
I swear all that stuff wasn't on the bench last night...!

The tractor version of a rat rod... 😉
Only if the engine was souped up... But yes, that is close. A guy I know has a high crop IH H that has no paint at all, just fine rust. It is straight, factory original and a perfect example. At first I thought he should paint it. but as years went by I came to appreciate the "patina." It is kept inside except for a week for the Great Iowa Tractor Ride. He flies in for the tractor ride, then the H is stored away until next year after the ride.

Only if the engine was souped up... But yes, that is close. A guy I know has a high crop IH H that has no paint at all, just fine rust. It is straight, factory original and a perfect example. At first I thought he should paint it. but as years went by I came to appreciate the "patina." It is kept inside except for a week for the Great Iowa Tractor Ride. He flies in for the tractor ride, then the H is stored away until next year after the ride.
Throw a turbo on it and the problem is solved! 😉

Dad and I did a 34 mile tractor ride last August, we were the only 2 Case tractors there and basically the only 2 that were in their "working clothes". As the ride went on the newer stuff pulled off and left us which was fine with me and we ended up leading a group of all fancied up older John Deeres. We got more comments about how people loved the "weathered" look of ours vs the painted ones. Folks did not even know what brand they were and kept calling them Farmalls lol.

These are both dads, left is a 1952 Case SC, right is a 1951 Case DC.

1710431603255.png

Dad and I did a 34 mile tractor ride last August, we were the only 2 Case tractors there and basically the only 2 that were in their "working clothes". As the ride went on the newer stuff pulled off and left us which was fine with me and we ended up leading a group of all fancied up older John Deeres. We got more comments about how people loved the "weathered" look of ours vs the painted ones. Folks did not even know what brand they were and kept calling them Farmalls lol.

These are both dads, left is a 1952 Case SC, right is a 1951 Case DC.

View attachment 1162020
That's sweet. Sounds like a long day.
Can't wait till my kids can do that with my orange rides 😃.

I went out this morning to find no rain, so I quick jumped back on the workbench project.
View attachment 1162001
And I now present to you: 100 drawers. Plus 30' of bench and tool wall above it all.
View attachment 1162002
View attachment 1162003
I swear all that stuff wasn't on the bench last night...!
That's funny. Drove thru quite a bit of rain on my way back to the yard, still raining a bit here at the house, but much like you I'm probably not doing anything outside, but maybe in the barn. But that's if my modus operandi changes, not feeling it after working all day and the blah outside :rare2:. Who knows, sometimes I surprise myself.

As you guys know, I’m very active in the Lions Club.

I don’t have the full details on what’s going on with these stoves or where they are at. But somewhere in northern Europe, these wood stoves are being produced on behalf of the Lions club international and are being distributed to individuals in Ukraine who have been displaced by the Russian attacks.

EDIT: They are being made in Finland

IMG_7190.jpeg

Back