Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hope you guys had a good weekend! I sure did, added 8 saws to the collection...... probably only 2 maybe 3 are really worth anything. Dad was at an estate sale for an old friend of his and called and said " do you want this old super XL? the guy says that it runs" Turns out it came with 7 other saws that the guys nephew just wanted to get out of the way. Dad got all of the saws, the chains that you see with the parts units, a log hook and a brand new 5 gallon of 90w gear oil for $250, said to give him $100 for the saws. Sounds like a winner to me.

1710766479660.png 1710766530695.png

Got 2 loads yesterday from my old new best friend's best neighbor and probably get 2 more on Tuesday. It's cottonwood, but the guy cut/split everything into manageable pieces so I don't need to do anything. I got the rest of the tree from him last year and did have to cut some myself. And that makes it OK that they are large. I can lift them, fit them through the door, and they will last a little longer that way.
20240317_181307.jpg20240317_191427.jpg

Hope you guys had a good weekend! I sure did, added 8 saws to the collection...... probably only 2 maybe 3 are really worth anything. Dad was at an estate sale for an old friend of his and called and said " do you want this old super XL? the guy says that it runs" Turns out it came with 7 other saws that the guys nephew just wanted to get out of the way. Dad got all of the saws, the chains that you see with the parts units, a log hook and a brand new 5 gallon of 90w gear oil for $250, said to give him $100 for the saws. Sounds like a winner to me.

View attachment 1162915 View attachment 1162916
Three Homie XL series (guessing the one without recoil has no spark, the ignitions are prone to failure), a McCinderblock , unknown (Stihl?), Stihl 031, and some sort of rebadged Poulan.

I love those XL saws. Heavy and no antivibe but the ones with grey or black ignition module/coils last almost forever and they sound so sweet.

McCb is great for stumping. You can torture the heck out of them and they keep going...also sound awesome.

Someone will want that 031.

Need more pics on the one in the back.

Score on those chains...have you priced those out at the store recently!

Three Homie XL series (guessing the one without recoil has no spark, the ignitions are prone to failure), a McCinderblock , unknown (Stihl?), Stihl 031, and some sort of rebadged Poulan.

I love those XL saws. Heavy and no antivibe but the ones with grey or black ignition module/coils last almost forever and they sound so sweet.

McCb is great for stumping. You can torture the heck out of them and they keep going...also sound awesome.

Someone will want that 031.

Need more pics on the one in the back.

Score on those chains...have you priced those out at the store recently!
Yea I have no idea about any of them other than dad said the nice Super XL ran with gas poured down the carb. The Stihl is an 031AV but he said it is missing a lot of stuff. I may sell the Stihl and the McCinderblock, I will go over there this week sometime and check them out and clean them up. The blue Homelite with the red recoil cover my dad cut a tree down on years and years ago which is why it has the different cover on it lol, he used to work for the guy whos stuff was being sold.

And yes chains are expensive, those alone are probably worth the $250 he paid for it all

Need at least a 3500 psi gauge. I think I used a 5k.psi, but that's just what i have laying around.
without the gauge you're just shooting in the dark weather it's a pump or engine issue.
You don't need a full 3600 rpm for the pump to work right if the engine is sized appropriately, generally speaking I can run mine down to about 2500 rpm and it still has the power to go over relief. Just slows the cylinder down, not spinning the pump as fast. Much below that rpm and the govenor can't react fast enough. Just a pos 9hp subaru.
Don't have that much on my fuel gauge lol.
I've hit a lot shooting in the dark, my nods work pretty well :cool: .
It runs the cylinder fine until it hits where it should kick into the 2nd stage, even when I hold the governor(it's not working on its own).
Longshot but have you checked the hydraulic filter? Just some armchair mechanicing.
Yeah, it's there 🤣. Other than that I know nothing.
I may take a peek at it in a bit.

Forgot to say, I appreciate all the suggestions, I know very little about hydraulics.

Don't have that much on my fuel gauge lol.
I've hit a lot shooting in the dark, my nods work pretty well :cool: .
It runs the cylinder fine until it hits where it should kick into the 2nd stage, even when I hold the governor(it's not working on its own).

Yeah, it's there 🤣. Other than that I know nothing.
I may take a peek at it in a bit.

Forgot to say, I appreciate all the suggestions, I know very little about hydraulics.
Pump issue would be my best guess in that case.

I'm sure the motor is not running at top rpm, but I doubt it's weak, or the actual issue based on all the 22 ton huskee splitters I've owned and ran(lots of them, over 30 if I had to guess). But I will pull the air and recoil cover off and check out the linkages because I know something isn't 100% in there, although I'm 99% sure that's not the reason why it's not getting into the second stage.
I'll pull the cover off the valve too, which way increases the power, turning it in?
Thanks.
If I recall correctly, turning it in raised the pressure. I'll try to find out. (update) Turning the screw in raises the knock off pressure.

If I recall correctly, turning it in raised the pressure. I'll try to find out.
I think I checked it and it was all the way in iirc. That was a while ago, haven't ran it much since, just easy to split stuff because it's had the issue it has now since I got it.

Back