Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last 2 truckloads of wood from my old new best friend's best neighbor.
View attachment 1163183View attachment 1163184
He did ask if I was still interested in more (of course I am.) He purchased an empty lot down the road from his house and there is a load of logs the developer has from clearing. Said he would get them for me if he can. šŸ‘
Do you take railroad ties. I heard they burn nice and hot!

My Tree guy just dropped a load of Cherry on my court. I've got to go down to my Daughters, 2 doors down, and drop the Brush Bandit off my JD X738, to take my splitter over to the logs. Then put a small trailer on my JD X500 to load the wood into as I split. Get it split, moved, and stacked in one fell swoop. My back lasts longer if I can mix the steps up, instead of trying to split it all at once.
r19nB3Z.jpg
I wish my tree guy would drop off nice straight stuff like that. You related :laugh: . I'm not sure what you've got is considered "Scrounging" though. This may be posted in the wrong section. Referees, when need an official review. Then again this is "Other stuff" so you may be OK. Either way, I'm jealous.

I'm not sure what you've got is considered "Scrounging" though. This may be posted in the wrong section. Referees, when need an official review.
We could ask @Cowboy254 if you have 30 days to wait for a ruling when he catches up. I think Cowboy needs a faster horse...

Do you take railroad ties. I heard they burn nice and hot!
Generally, my rule is, "Was it made from wood?", and if the answer is yes, I'll burn it. But, I do like my neighbors, so RR ties are off limits. Plus, they would probably make my clothes smell funny.

Please share!
Start with a Muffler Mod. Either replace the muffler cover with a dual port, or drill 2-1/4" holes on the right side of the cover (above interference with the saw). Make sure you remove the muffler cover before doing this and clean it well before re-installing. I often screw the muffler cover to a board on my trailer to drill it.

Also, replace the air filter with a hi-flow unit, like an HD-2 or steel screen winter filter.

Next, remove the flywheel and file the right side of the key .020 above the part that fits in the crank. Insert the flywheel and turn it against the key, then tighten it. It will provide about 6* of timing advance. (The nut holds the flywheel in place, make it tight or the key will shear). Also, make sure you clean the surfaces well.

Next, pull the plug and check the squish. You can usually do a base gasket delete. Remove the cylinder, scape off the gasket, clean the surfaces very well and glue the cylinder down. This will likely give you about .020 squish. It will boost compression, and the length of your power stroke!

Depending on your cylinder, porting may help. The Red Lever saws were generally made late in the 044 cycle before the 440. They generally had good porting (My P+C is KS). I liken the red lever saws to the Muscle Cars made in the late 60s as they achieved a temporary "peek".

Brake cleaner works well for cleaning all these surfaces. If they are not clean, your flywheel with spin and your cylinder will leak.

Good afternoonā˜•, or maybe itā€™s šŸŗ Went to the annual loggers first aid/ safety class today and was told the snap in chaps (worn inside jeans) Iā€™ve been wearing for 30 years are not ā€œlegalā€, any recommendations on chainsaw pants, other than the form fitting arborist ones?

Good afternoonā˜•, or maybe itā€™s šŸŗ Went to the annual loggers first aid/ safety class today and was told the snap in chaps Iā€™ve been wearing for 30 years are not ā€œlegalā€, any recommendations on chainsaw pants, other than the form fitting arborist ones?
I have a pair of husqy tech chaps that have those plastic push in clip/buckle things with straps. Kinda hot over summer, but functional and hard wearing.
https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-Tools/dp/B07PM91H7P
I still prefer my clogger pants since I got them, but unless I know I'm cutting for a whole day I wear the chaps.

I have a pair of husqy tech chaps that have those plastic push in clip/buckle things with straps. Kinda hot over summer, but functional and hard wearing.
https://www.amazon.com/Husqvarna-Tools/dp/B07PM91H7P
I still prefer my clogger pants since I got them, but unless I know I'm cutting for a whole day I wear the chaps.
Thanks Sean, I have some outside strap on chaps I wear in the winter some but really donā€™t like them in summer, hot, get hung up on brush/ limbs and restrict movement. Iā€™m probably more likely to get hurt wearing those than nothing. I look into the cloggers. Which ones do you have?

Generally, my rule is, "Was it made from wood?", and if the answer is yes, I'll burn it. But, I do like my neighbors, so RR ties are off limits. Plus, they would probably make my clothes smell funny.
If one is burning RR ties funny smelling clothes is the least of your troubles. A farm up towards the end of the road burns them and telephone poles in his OWB the smell and the smoke is acrid.

Back