Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I went out to Mitch's again this week to get after the big candlebark that came down a while back. I cut a few rounds but most of them I had cut previously. I'm up to the main trunk now which I may not get through cutting from both sides. Will find out next time.

20240401_131238.jpg

I had left most of the rounds lying on end previously to stop them from starting to dry. Candlebark splits very well when fresh cut but the exposed ends quickly dry and get big cracks and it makes it impossible to split with the X27 - the cracks allow the surface wood to move a little and absorb the force. The isocore can do it but takes a fair few lusty whacks.

20240401_151143.jpg

20240401_151157.jpg

Scrounge on :rock:

Am I a "fleet" owner?

Resized-20240406-152351-AS.jpg

SR

She seems like quite a kid. Lot of determination in her face.
She’s “built different”

Losing is not an option for her

I’ve never seen or met another teenage girl that keeps 20lb dumbbells in her room

She still loves getting all dolled up, but when it comes to sport and physical fitness, she is on par with the best of them

My wife is one of 4 girls, the youngest, her three older sisters all played college sports, my dad and uncle Mustang and my mom all played college sports. It could just be in her DNA

I had hoped to be a bit farther along then this, but it's coming along. Ran into a few hiccups starting off, figured it out and the rest went fairly smoothly.
Have to put the face board on the front yet, and a run of boards on the top of the eves. Then I'll start with the roof. Won't get much done tomorrow, have my nieces birthday party to go to. Have off Monday and Tuesday and hope to at least have the main roof on by then.

Attachments

• 20240406_184519.jpg
    20240406_184519.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
I’m fond of the Smith & Wesson Air Weight J-frames… in a horse hide pocket holster. Can conceal it while wearing shorts and a tee shirt… light and doesn’t print.
You sure you aren’t a long lost relative???
My dad is very fond of the j-frame. So fond I grabbed him another last spring…

All my aperture sights are plastic and have a little red or green dot in the middle of them 😜.
They would look kinda stupid sitting on the bolt of a lever gun!

Also, would not go through the brush so well, and would fog up just like a scope in humid weather!

You sure you aren’t a long lost relative???
My dad is very fond of the j-frame. So fond I grabbed him another last spring…
Who knows… We could be related… On my mother’s side the family goes back to the Colonial period. I know some were in Peekskill but most were spread out in the Catskills at least as far west as Margarerville. They were on the western frontier of NY in Indian territory! Today most are in Ulster County.

View attachment 1167833
I have a love hate relationship with drum brakes. They last a long time but what a pain to work on! 08 corolla. Parking brake cable seized of course so it's back to the parts store... Love living in the rust belt....not really.
I probably put about 60k miles on my last set of pads (rotors) Brakes were getting weak and I figured it was past time for some new ones. Well when I finally got to them and got a good look, I still had just over half the dang pad left. Just needed a good bleeding. I saved those "old" pads lol

I probably put about 60k miles on my last set of pads (rotors) Brakes were getting weak and I figured it was past time for some new ones. Well when I finally got to them and got a good look, I still had just over half the dang pad left. Just needed a good bleeding. I saved those "old" pads lol
I would have left the old pads on, saved the new ones for when I need them.

I had hoped to be a bit farther along then this, but it's coming along. Ran into a few hiccups starting off, figured it out and the rest went fairly smoothly.
Have to put the face board on the front yet, and a run of boards on the top of the eves. Then I'll start with the roof. Won't get much done tomorrow, have my nieces birthday party to go to. Have off Monday and Tuesday and hope to at least have the main roof on by then.
Looking good man!
Sure is a good feeling getting to rock it out. Too bad for the figuring it out beforehand, slows progress a bit; but that's how you learn, doing it.
Looks like the kiddo likes her new riding area lol.

Looking good man!
Sure is a good feeling getting to rock it out. Too bad for the figuring it out beforehand, slows progress a bit; but that's how you learn, doing it.
Looks like the kiddo likes her new riding area lol.
Well I forgot about the screws sticking up at the tie plates for the queens truss. So I had to find my router... then the bits... first bit was dull, then I couldn't find my good one... so back to lowes for a bit. Got that all sorted. Then had to find bits to pre drill the steel. (Side note, I have tons of drill bits but organization is severely lacking.) Then sharpen the bit (s) I found. So yeah, rough start but it turned out well.
yes the kids love their new race track/playground. It's not like they don't have a huge swing set, with fort, and trampoline to play on....gotta love it. Lol.

Also, would not go through the brush so well, and would fog up just like a scope in humid weather!
That's funny, it's kinda the standard now in those exact situations. Just add the magnifier of your choice. Or run an LPVO. I also run my dots cowitnessing my backup sights and can use the optic just as you would a peep sight. One of the biggest benefits I like(especially after yrs of skeet shooting) of running a 1x dot is being able to keep both eyes open. It's difficult for most people to do on a magnified optic.
Screen Shot 2024-04-06 at 9.53.34 PM.png

They would look kinda stupid sitting on the bolt of a lever gun!
Maybe it's time for an upgrade.

Well I forgot about the screws sticking up at the tie plates for the queens truss. So I had to find my router... then the bits... first bit was dull, then I couldn't find my good one... so back to lowes for a bit. Got that all sorted. Then had to find bits to pre drill the steel. (Side note, I have tons of drill bits but organization is severely lacking.) Then sharpen the bit (s) I found. So yeah, rough start but it turned out well.
yes the kids love their new race track/playground. It's not like they don't have a huge swing set, with fort, and trampoline to play on....gotta love it. Lol.
I can't wait to get my tools organized...
While you always need that one tool you can't find to finish something, hopefully I can get further along on things quicker before I run into that problem :sucks: .

Got a real bona-fide scrounge in today (well at least if you count scrounging on your own property.) Went out to start clearing the trails of downed trees, but only had time for one trailer load. But there is always tomorrow!
View attachment 1167926

Wouldn't have guessed you had long hair :rare2:

Back