Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had our first fire of the season last night. In the shoulder season I rake up splitting trash and bark and put it in the boxes we seem to accumulate, then chuck the whole thing in the stove, apply a few noodles and set fire to it.

20240406_145110.jpg

20240406_145127.jpg

The Cowcat Mk 2 came out from wherever she was and fell over.

20240406_151807.jpg

Wouldn't have guessed you had long hair :rare2:
You forgot to mention naturally curly. :surprised3:

That's Thing 2, she got stuck helping me yesterday. I gave her a hard time about spending the whole day together, but she gives it right back and with an eye roll. She's actually a great helper and often refers to herself as my mini me when she does something similar to what would I do.

Well I forgot about the screws sticking up at the tie plates for the queens truss. So I had to find my router... then the bits... first bit was dull, then I couldn't find my good one... so back to lowes for a bit. Got that all sorted. Then had to find bits to pre drill the steel. (Side note, I have tons of drill bits but organization is severely lacking.) Then sharpen the bit (s) I found. So yeah, rough start but it turned out well.
yes the kids love their new race track/playground. It's not like they don't have a huge swing set, with fort, and trampoline to play on....gotta love it. Lol.
I feel your pain on the organization thang.. Seems like at times you have to do 9 things to get the one done.. Pre-drilling panels before turned into a nightmare once for me. The corrugated bowed out at the columns, stripped the screw holes attempting to fasten them.. When finally got screws to secure, they looked like a shotgun blast ! Learn the hard way sometimes. Every time I walk that way my sight is immediately drawn to the screw pattern that looks retarded.. I always raise my hand and identify, YUP THAT'S ME.. Hope your build turns out well.. NEW DIGS,, Yeeehaw..

There is! …and why should we think it doesn’t/won’t move?!
I'm not questioning that it should or shouldn't move. After it did move my wife noticed a faint sulphur smell in our well water. Our well is 565 feet deep. I think a new vein opened up. Hopefully in a few days the water smell will go away. We have not had this issue before. The well is 49 years old.

Yesterday I got to mess around with my mother's old Homelite XL12. It fires up but won't stay running. I did replace the fuel line. The carb is clean. I found the problem being air leaks at the crank seals. I also found that the crank is a bit loose in the bearings. After looking up the cost for parts this saw is going bye bye. If it was an XP saw I would rebuild it. I should have gotten rid of it before wasting my time on it.

G'day fellers,

I'm all caught up now, was impressed to find at least 5 actual scrounging posts in the last 100 pages.

Sometimes when I'm on the scrounge I split everything down to size on site, other times I split to a size I can lift into the trailer or ute and split back home. Then I realised I was being silly, I've got kids to do that :dumb: . Here's an action shot, he hits the bit of wood most times.

View attachment 1167839
Cowlad sure has grown!

I'm not questioning that it should or shouldn't move. After it did move my wife noticed a faint sulphur smell in our well water. Our well is 565 feet deep. I think a new vein opened up. Hopefully in a few days the water smell will go away. We have not had this issue before. The well is 49 years old.
That’s unfortunate… It seems to be a random problem around here. There is one house in my patents’ neighborhood that has really bad sulfur water… None of the houses next to it or across the street from it have any sulfur odor. I know of a similar situation in another neighborhood about 3 miles away from there. Sending you good thoughts that it clears up.

My biggest issue with them is that I can't load/remove the cartridges easily when I need to take a quick shot. But other than that I'd own one, but way too much $$$.
My only “lever” guns are of the single shot falling block Ruger No 1 variety… Easy to load the only round I’ve needed for whitetails. Have fired multiple rounds at woodchucks across big fields on dairy farms… but real fast reloads weren’t really needed.

My only “lever” guns are of the single shot falling block Ruger No 1 variety… Easy to load the only round I’ve needed for whitetails. Have fired multiple rounds at woodchucks across big fields on dairy farms… but real fast reloads weren’t really needed.
I had a bad experience with one of those as a kid. Shooting light loads thru a Springfield/infield(45-70), whichever it was it was old(I'll probably get in trouble for that too lol), and then my dad put some hot loads in the #1, not funny :buttkick:. Ive got a break barrel in 223 I could use in that fashion and it would be just fine if needed, but I try to keep the noise levels down at the house except:chainsaw:. That being said, when I let loose, everyone in the neighborhood knows 🤠, but they ain't lever guns :laugh:.

Hunting with a traditional lever action rifle with open sights, especially one that is older than I am, just has a certain "cool" factor ... just like hunting with any old rifle, a bow, crossbow, MZ, single shot, etc. I would do it more, except here in Putnam County you can only use a shotgun (no rifles) for deer, and in Delaware County (my upstate property) they implemented that stupid 3 pt/side rule, which almost necessitates using a scoped rifle.

It is also nice to have something that everyone else does not have. When I was toying with ideas for a "custom gun" (that resulted in my Ruger American Rifle in 338-06) I also toyed with converting my Model 95 Browning/Winchester from 30-06 to 338-06 or building a #1 in 348 Winchester or 338/348 improved Winchester. Any of the above would be nice to own. Unfortunately. all of these ideas would have been more difficult to acquire and build than what I did, so practicality and reality influenced my decision. Better to have a bird in the hand than just an idea. I was also pleasantly surprised that I was able to acquire the gun and barrel at "discount" prices when I got them ... so just dumb luck also played a role.

I have seen the 348 described as being the 1st short action Magnum! It has a lot of powder capacity but does not operate at high pressure. It would have awesome potential in a strong Ruger #1 action. Very few other actions would accommodate this wide cartridge.

I had a bad experience with one of those as a kid. Shooting light loads thru a Springfield/infield(45-70), whichever it was it was old(I'll probably get in trouble for that too lol), and then my dad put some hot loads in the #1, not funny :buttkick:. Ive got a break barrel in 223 I could use in that fashion and it would be just fine if needed, but I try to keep the noise levels down at the house except:chainsaw:. That being said, when I let loose, everyone in the neighborhood knows 🤠, but they ain't lever guns :laugh:.
I think I've seen you operating some "lever action" tractors ... they need to be converted to push button for your safety! Perhaps, even add some AI!!!

I don’t know why people think giving someone a heavily recoiling gun to shoot is funny… People get hurt (scoped, punched in the nose, etc.) if they don’t understand how to use them. Not to mention some will never shoot again.

I like to play… Numrich had a Ruger No 1 in 458 Win Mag that was purchased and traded back in multiple times. I went in to buy it with the intent of doing the same thing… play with it a bit for fun. It was gone again. Unfortunately when it came back again the guy who last owned it had messed it up… It had obviously been dropped. There was a big gash in the butt stock and damage on the forearm. To make matters worse he tried to sand out the damage so there was a big dished out area. That turned me right off… I regret not pulling the trigger sooner.

I’ve got stuff that is very intimidating… a bunch of gun savoy guys wouldn’t shoot my 3” S&W 629 .44 mag. It throws about 3 feet of muzzle flash and the muzzle blast is horrific. It recoils straight back and then the muzzle flips straight up. Nothing gentle about it! A buddy named it “The Dragon.” I’ve never offered to let a neophyte shoot it… If they didn’t get smacked in the face they’d surely drop it.

In more recent years using things like 410s and a flintlock for hunting has become more appealing… gotta get close and shoot well.

I don’t know why people think giving someone a heavily recoiling gun to shoot is funny… People get hurt (scoped, punched in the nose, etc.) if they don’t understand how to use them. Not to mention some will never shoot again.

I like to play… Numrich had a Ruger No 1 in 458 Win Mag that was purchased and traded back in multiple times. I went in to buy it with the intent of doing the same thing… play with it a bit for fun. It was gone again. Unfortunately when it came back again the guy who last owned it had messed it up… It had obviously been dropped. There was a big gash in the butt stock and damage on the forearm. To make matters worse he tried to sand out the damage so there was a big dished out area. That turned me right off… I regret not pulling the trigger sooner.

I’ve got stuff that is very intimidating… a bunch of gun savoy guys wouldn’t shoot my 3” S&W 629 .44 mag. It throws about 3 feet of muzzle flash and the muzzle blast is horrific. It recoils straight back and then the muzzle flips straight up. Nothing gentle about it! A buddy named it “The Dragon.” I’ve never offered to let a neophyte shoot it… If they didn’t get smacked in the face they’d surely drop it.

In more recent years using things like 410s and a flintlock for hunting has become more appealing… gotta get close and shoot well.
Makes no sense to me either. Guess who got popped by his own scope not long after and needed stitches lol.
I like my semi's with mags. I've got the break barrel, tube fed, and bolts, but my semi's with mags do the same thing they do.
I'm still on the hunt for a nice semi 22lr thats mag fed and a nice scope. Also need to find an 1100 receiver, maybe I'll get a mag fed one 😅.

Back