Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That’s unfortunate… It seems to be a random problem around here. There is one house in my patents’ neighborhood that has really bad sulfur water… None of the houses next to it or across the street from it have any sulfur odor. I know of a similar situation in another neighborhood about 3 miles away from there. Sending you good thoughts that it clears up.
Thanks, if it doesn't clear up soon I will just bleach the well. It is not that bad but my wife's nose knows about it. LOL

Due to similar experiences I've taken to vacuuming around the clutch on my Stihl saws. I also periodically remove the covers located under the clutch cover to clean the debris out of the chain brake mechanism and from around the brake band. My MS461 was so plugged up that the brake band was dragging on the drum. It got so hot that it melted the edges of the plastic covers... I replaced the covers and have been cleaning as mentioned above ever since.
I grew up on Homelites. They had the clutch sitting right out in the open. I never thought of taking the clutch cover off my newer Stihls. I was amazed at how much gunk had gotten between the brake band and clutch bell.

I grew up on Homelites. They had the clutch sitting right out in the open. I never thought of taking the clutch cover off my newer Stihls. I was amazed at how much gunk had gotten between the brake band and clutch bell.
I don’t recall ever seeing removing the brake covers and cleaning mentioned in the saw maintenance sections of manuals… nor have I seen it done on saw maintenance videos on YouTube. Knowing what I know now that surprises me.

I’ve got stuff that is very intimidating… a bunch of gun savoy guys wouldn’t shoot my 3” S&W 629 .44 mag. It throws about 3 feet of muzzle flash and the muzzle blast is horrific. It recoils straight back and then the muzzle flips straight up. Nothing gentle about it! A buddy named it “The Dragon.” I’ve never offered to let a neophyte shoot it… If they didn’t get smacked in the face they’d surely drop it
As a result of a couple of "gun trade" deals, I've ended up with a pair of Ruger Alaskan 44's..... 2 1/2" barrel 44 Mag revolvers!
I sometimes carry one....! I just need to spend more time fishing in Alaska!

As a result of a couple of "gun trade" deals, I've ended up with a pair of Ruger Alaskan 44's..... 2 1/2" barrel 44 Mag revolvers!
I sometimes carry one....! I just need to spend more time fishing in Alaska!
Cool stuff but not for the faint of heart… or without hearing protection! I shot a buck with mine and my ears hated it… I hit it in the front of the chest and recovered the bullet at the back of the hind quarters.

Nice new shiny Bota. Those hydrostatics are sweeeet! My only gripe with them is they tend to get a little too front heavy with a load. Nothing some rear counterweight cant fix though.
Yea , it’s a big timesaver moving logs and everything else, rears are filled and just have to know ur limits ,

Makes no sense to me either. Guess who got popped by his own scope not long after and needed stitches lol.
I like my semi's with mags. I've got the break barrel, tube fed, and bolts, but my semi's with mags do the same thing they do.
I'm still on the hunt for a nice semi 22lr thats mag fed and a nice scope. Also need to find an 1100 receiver, maybe I'll get a mag fed one 😅.
I love the Ruger 10/22 for a semi auto. In a bolt action .22 I have a Remington Targetmaster 513T, a Remington M541X, a CZ452 and an H&R M12 single shot. All of them are excellent shooters with the M12 being the heaviest with a huge bull barrel and being the most accurate.

For all the car guys I bought a new sierra 1500. What would you use for rust protection underneath, in the fender wells and rocker panels. It has rubber plugs that can be removed for access to spray in.
Fluid Film has become a thing… They have it in “clear” and black… gallons and spray guns are available too. I know some commercial snow plowing contractors who coat all of their equipment too… plows, trucks. Snow blowers, the steel on salt spreaders, etc. I use it on my snowblowers and apply it with a foam brush… I pour some from the gallon into a smaller container. The truck is next…

Fluid film is good stuff, but I don't use it under vehicles anymore. Needs re applied too often for my liking. My uncle loves it and sells tons of it, but it's at least a yearly thing. More often if winter was bad or it's rained a lot. Adds up after a while. I Use it fairly often around the house and on equipment I don't use much.

As expected I didn't get much done to the shop today. I managed to get one facia board on the front after the birthday party, before my wife came out bugging me about running to lowes again. I was about out of one type of screws and needed to get some tech screws to fasten the ledger board to the side of the shop anyway. I'll get up at a decent time tomorrow, finish the second fascia board and start slinging panels up. My cousin gave me a bunch of steel studs for my door frames, he has a ton of them he got for nothing at an auction. I took 50 foot worth of it and he said I'm welcome to get as much if it as I want/need. So some progress in that aspect.

Yea , it’s a big timesaver moving logs and everything else, rears are filled and just have to know ur limits ,
Which isn't much on a bota even with the tires filled.
A ballast weight off the 3pth is further back and makes a big difference.
The skidding winch on mine helps a ton, well a third of a ton 😆. Even so, it gets light on the back before the loader stops lifting. I figure I shouldn't be lifting anything that's got the tires off the ground with loaded tires and the winch on. I always say my tractor has more guts than butt.

Latest posts

Back