Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark, the septic system works better if the bacteria is high and eats the crap. When a washing machine and sink introduced the soaps, it lowers the bacteria and kills the efficiency of the septic system, that is why everybody’s recommending you hooked that dry well up again.

I know it’s a bit of a pain in the butt. I probably would just make my own new one, for the washing machine at least.
I know the principle . I did the tank and a dry well . Town frowns on them so I don’t talk about it much
20170429_120321.jpg20170504_174105.jpg20170510_171106 2.jpg20170511_134538 2.jpg
20170512_145855 2.jpg

Screw them. If they were to find out that my current trench system had an issue, they would attempt to force me to "upgrade" to a sand mound system. I quite assure you thats not gonna happen. It's bad enough they make us pump our septic tanks every 3 years, even though I've been consistently told every time tillet comes out to pump it my holding tank is less then half full of solids. It's all a load of bs. If anything happens to my current septic system I'll handle it myself and they can go screw themselves.
I was being sarcastic lol. My dad and I cut down a giant oak tree next to my house, and it may or may not have went the way we wanted, and may or may not have taken out the power company's pole and ripped my entrance cable out of my panel........ Any way I fixed the panel, entrance cable, meter box etc. and then the power company would not hook my power back up until I got it inspected through the county because we did work to the entrance cable and put a new meter box on. The county came out and the guy looked at for 30 seconds and was like "there is not really much for me to look at here. he has it secured well so that is about all I can look for". He talked to me about how old the house was and a few other things and then left.

Moral of the story is they just wanted their $35 dollars.

I was being sarcastic lol. My dad and I cut down a giant oak tree next to my house, and it may or may not have went the way we wanted, and may or may not have taken out the power company's pole and ripped my entrance cable out of my panel........ Any way I fixed the panel, entrance cable, meter box etc. and then the power company would not hook my power back up until I got it inspected through the county because we did work to the entrance cable and put a new meter box on. The county came out and the guy looked at for 30 seconds and was like "there is not really much for me to look at here. he has it secured well so that is about all I can look for". He talked to me about how old the house was and a few other things and then left.

Moral of the story is they just wanted their $35 dollars.
I figured you were being funny, it's just one of those subjects that gets me really fired up. Permit for this, inspection for that. Someone always has their hands out demanding money, it total bs. Our earnings are taxed so fricken hard it's a wonder any of us have anything left over st the end of the day, let alone all the nanny state crap from local governing bodies.

The not doing the “Might as well while it’s apart “ thing went out the window . Duel piston aluminum calipers and larger rotors . Waiting on the rear disc conversion kit to arrive . View attachment 1170976View attachment 1170977
What kit did you get for the rear disk conversion? I used a lugbolt 4x4 kit on my 79, (has a Stirling 10.25 in it.) With Eldorado calipers. Worked better then I expected and was pretty straight forward.

And that's why projects take 3x as long as we think when we start.

"Might 'swell"
Was thinking I need wheels to show off the brakes . But probably not I like the factory 16 inch rims and dig dish caps . I made sure the kit fits the factory wheel

Back on the farm the kitchen sink, bathroom sink, bathtub, and wash machine all drained into a dry well of sorts. Only thing that went to the cesspool was the toilet. Non of this everything into a tank, then another tank, then pumped/ gravity fed to a sand mound/trench system or silliness of having your septic tank pumped ever 3 years even when it doesn't need it nanny state bs.
We went 15 years without pumping out our septic tank. There was less than 1" of sludge in the bottom. The guy that pumped it out asked how long it had been since we had it pumped out. I told him it had been only 5 years. He said that our tank was working really well. We never pour and grease down our kitchen sink. Any bacon grease or other fat gets wiped out of a frying pan before it gets washed. In 48 years our tank has been pumped out only 4 times. I have a strainer on the outlet pipe inside the tank to keep floating solids from going downstream to the leech field.

I have caught up on the 65 pages I was behind.

Tulip poplar is not a poplar. Can't believe no one has said that yet.
It is actually a Magnolia tree, but the wood is sold in lumber stores as Poplar! It is a soft hardwood, good for making bowls on the lathe, etc.

Also, FYI, Danial Boone had a 60' dugout canoe made from a Tulip tree. They grow fast, straight and large.

When I order birdshot I let the USPS carrier know the day before the scheduled delivery that heavy packages are coming and that my hand truck is outside so he can use it. The companies selling shot have taken to using flat rate shipping boxes for 50 lbs of shot. The letter carriers are not equipped to hump 100 lbs of shot from the truck to my porch.... they appreciate my consideration.

What kit did you get for the rear disk conversion? I used a lugbolt 4x4 kit on my 79, (has a Stirling 10.25 in it.) With Eldorado calipers. Worked better then I expected and was pretty straight forward.
I have a kit on the ford 9 inch on my Chevelle uses the Eldorado calipers too . Been great last 10 years

When I order birdshot I let the USPS carrier know the day before the scheduled delivery that heavy packages are coming and that my hand truck is outside so he can use it. The companies selling shot have taken to using flat rate shipping boxes for 50 lbs of shot. The letter carriers are not equipped to hump 100 lbs of shot from the truck to my porch.... they appreciate my consideration.
I usually only order a case or 2 at a time, they're pretty small overall, so I don't worry about it most times. But, if I'm here they don't make it out of the truck before I grab it off them. I don't want to have to lift it up from the ground if I don't have to, or I'd look like the guy in that meme, just a little thinner :laugh:.

Soap is the big septic bed killer. Kills bacteria and then you get "black" in the field. The field then won't flow and it's a big mess. Ask me how I know. Been here 16 years on a new build and 2 years ago I had to completely redo the septic from the tank out. Dig up my whole front yard and truck it off. New pipes, sand dirt etc. legally can't run a "grey water" line here and where I live it would be hard to get away with. However at the same time i was redoing, the farmer beside and behind me was tile draining his farm. He allowed me to tie into his drainage. So I have a big o that goes along the outside of my weeping bed and tees into the drain along with my eavestrough. Sure helps take excess water away. Hope this one lasts longer. Old farmhouses with a grey line and a simple clay tile still working 75 years later.

PXL_20240419_155322808.MP.jpg
In other news, it's one of those wet spring days where a little heat is nice but not really enough for a fire. Haven't had a fire in about a week and the box that my wife puts cereal boxes and egg cartons, papers etc is getting over filled. So I had a paper fire. Not something I'd do often but it raised the temp in here just enough.

I usually only order a case or 2 at a time, they're pretty small overall, so I don't worry about it most times. But, if I'm here they don't make it out of the truck before I grab it off them. I don't want to have to lift it up from the ground if I don't have to, or I'd look like the guy in that meme, just a little thinner :laugh:.
There was a fairly long period of time when my two sons and I would go through 2-3 cases of shot shells in one session. My philosophy back then was for them to be worn out before we ran out of ammo and clays... .22s and .38 Special handguns were treated the same. I cannot imagine going through 500 - 750 rounds of factory ammo in one session today... especially the 28 gauge and .410. Lots of reloading over the 51 years since I started!

Latest posts

Back