Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Morning fellas. I was at Fleet Farm yesterday buying some gardening supplies. Since I was there I decided to wander around and I came across this.View attachment 1171822View attachment 1171823Looks like a nice little saw. The 20" bar seems a little hopeful though. I might have to watch for a sale.:cool:
I really enjoy the 40-45cc class of saws, but that price tag is crazy.

My "new to me" tractor is already making me money,

Resized-20240422-150308-S.jpg

It runs like a new one,

SR
I've been saving forever and I'm about ready to start shopping. I almost feel guilty putting my ih 240u up for sale as she has been very good to me but I'm ready for 4x4 . My property is just too hilly for 2wd. I dream of hydrostatic too but that's probably out of my price range. It is soooo much faster tho when you are maneuvering a lot. Really torn on a brand. Of course I'd like the quantity of a John deere, but I despise thieves. Enough said. I won't waste my money on a junk rural king brand so I guess I'll look for something in between. I'll thow it out there for suggestions, but I may not be responding much for a bit. Next several weeks are going to be insane!

I've been saving forever and I'm about ready to start shopping. I almost feel guilty putting my ih 240u up for sale as she has been very good to me but I'm ready for 4x4 . My property is just too hilly for 2wd. I dream of hydrostatic too but that's probably out of my price range. It is soooo much faster tho when you are maneuvering a lot. Really torn on a brand. Of course I'd like the quantity of a John deere, but I despise thieves. Enough said. I won't waste my money on a junk rural king brand so I guess I'll look for something in between. I'll thow it out there for suggestions, but I may not be responding much for a bit. Next several weeks are going to be insane!
NO one brand has the best tractor in every size, you need to figure out what it will mostly be used for and the size you need.

SR

Well, got about this far on the shop this weekend. (Sunday and today) my brother came over yesterday afternoon and helped me set the main door frame. I had a f-up on the tractor. (100% my fault.) The kubota doesn't lift quite high enough, so like a good bunch of hill Billy's we took 2 bessy clamps and clamped the top to the tips of my forks to set it. Got one anchor in the left side. My brother told me to drive in just a bit to line up the right side. Was two footing the brake and hydro. (Both feet in the same side of the tractor.) When he said stop (like a retard.) I pressed the brake in harder to stop and pushed my left foot with my right foot forward onto the hydro pedal and drive a bit too far, ripping out the anchor we just sank on the left side of the door frame. No one was hurt, but I had to cut out and repair the hole I ripped out in the floor.
Really pissed at myself for that one. Took most the morning to get it fixed. Got redhead glue in 7" anchors for the door frame, then made up a larger 3/8" thick steel plate to go out around the break, sunk it flush with the floor + added in 6-3/8" counter sunk anchors to that. I wasn't quite happy with it, so found some 2x2 x1/4" angle and cut that in flush with the front edge of the pad, and welded it fast under the 3/8" plate. I just used a few 1/4" counter sunk tap cons and the rest of the tube of anchor glue. Lots of screwing around, but it should hold up just fine. I'll pour under the plate with some quick set concrete tomorrow. Used the 7" anchors for the other 2 hole on the right side. Lesson learned I guess, don't rush. And make sure your anchors are set in deep enough.

Attachments

• 20240422_143309.jpg
    20240422_143309.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
Sawyer Rob says no one brand is best in all sizes, but he seems to favor Allis/Agco/Deutz. I grew up favoring Allis-Chalmers; like the orange tractors, from G to 220.
They are all junk when they break. I grew up with ih, farm all, and case tractors my cousins were die hard deere people. Neither of us really had any issues with them.
My old man and I have kubotas now. I wouldn't mind if dad's was shuttle shift or hydro vs straight gear. But it's a 1977 tractor and has been flawless save needing to replace a bearing and race in the axle once, and recently just developed a small oil leak from the govenor housing. I've had mine for a few year, it needed a lot of tlc from pure neglect/none careing owner. But it did have over well 2k hours on the broken dash when I got it. Engine and trans work perfectly. I have wished a few times that I stuck to my guns and bought the same sized tractor with slightly more hp, but I couldn't pass it up for the price I paid.

We have 2 year pumping/inspection rules which is over the top. When my drain field backed up in late fall I dug through frost at an elbow, hired a plumber with a roto rooter to grind out the roots. He busted off his bit in my field, packed up and left! Fortunately it was enough to get through the winter. Next year I dug up where I thought the bit was, and replaced 18' of the old 4" perf pipe with infiltrators. (Found the bit too) Worked fast, no one asked about inspection and I wasn't telling. System will probably outlive me now. There's a story about nearly killing my plumber buddy in the trench with my skidsteer (for another day).
Scrounged red cedar from the back pasture after wind busted the top off.
KIMG6165.JPGKIMG6166.JPG
What to do with it?

Morning guys. Here’s a couple clips of a boat we dug out of the woods at a friends house the other day. I’ve never had to cut down trees to get a boat out before lol. The last clip is 24 hours later after my son cleaned and washed it out. Next we’ll fill it up with water and see if it leaks and if it doesn’t leak too badly we’ll put in new benches.

IMG_7920.jpegIMG_7917.jpegIMG_7951.jpeg

Morning guys. Here’s a couple clips of a boat we dug out of the woods at a friends house the other day. I’ve never had to cut down trees to get a boat out before lol. The last clip is 24 hours later after my son cleaned and washed it out. Next we’ll fill it up with water and see if it leaks and if it doesn’t leak too badly we’ll put in new benches.

View attachment 1172213View attachment 1172214View attachment 1172215
of I remember the next time I'm down at my in-laws, I'll take a picture of the little boat on the trailer with trees/ bamboo growing all around it. It's nearly as bad as those pics you just posted.

Sawyer Rob says no one brand is best in all sizes, but he seems to favor Allis/Agco/Deutz. I grew up favoring Allis-Chalmers; like the orange tractors, from G to 220.
That's true, but I favor them for what they ARE, not because of the color of the paint!

BTW, I have "other" color tractors too. lol Including an Allis "G".

SR

Latest posts

Back