Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Started working on my second pile of Bk Locust yesterday. The first pile still has two logs, one hollow, in it and some small branches. Didn't want to deal with that ugliness yet. I'll get to that last.
Full load.
View attachment 1176457
Some center rot in some of the rounds (bottom left) so I couldn't stay completely away from the ugliness. Also, I had a minor fatality too. The log yard is covered in wood chips which soaks up the water making it a bit spngey. I was maneuvering around and I bumped into a pile, taking out my front license plate bracket. Oh well, ordered another one.
en't replaced it yet
Eight to 10 more logs, in the 12" to 18" dia, so I'm guessing two more loads. Going after Cherry today. A load with a couple logs was dropped off recently up front and is more at risk. That is IF the saw works.

Had the same trouble as I posted in Stihl 038 Woes thread. I have to keep pumping the throttle to get it to cut at full throttle. I took the bar off so I could open the gas cap while running. Didn't help. Thought the gas tank vent (new) was plugged. Removed the air filter thinking it was clogged, and ran it. Didn't help. So I'll play with it some more today. Already replaced fuel filter/hose, impulse hose, spark plug. Thought the cracked kill switch wire making contact with the throttle wire was the problem. Saw started running right again. I haven't replaced it yet. Just pull the spark plug boot.

While messing with the bar off, I noticed an oily mess. I ran the saw and saw oil pumping out the hole. More than I've ever seen. Original oil pump. Only ran one tank of gas through yesterday, so I check and see the oil level remaining. Usually oil left when I run out of gas.
Your definitely going to see more oil with the bar off than on. On my 038 I usually run two tanks of fuel to 1 tank of oil. jmho :cool: OT

When I was in my teens, we went up to my Uncle's farm every year to help with the bailing. His bailer did not have a kicker, so it was a lot of work.

It was a 125 acre dairy farm in West Winfield NY (not too far from Utica).

Winters were cold and windy, and I remember stories from my cousins of exiting the house from the upstairs windows if the wind drift precluded using the door.

I always loved going to the farm ... did not matter if it was to help with work, hunt woodchucks or deer, or just to visit.

These pictures are from 2004.

My Aunt and Cousin loved when we brought our Dalmation Bailey up to visit. My Aunt lived till 93, my cousin, who was my age is gone, as is the barn. My Mustang was a 2000 GT Feature Car in Zinc Yellow, only 917 were made. Only one of my 7 cousins from the farm are still alive, and her son now owns the farm.
Priceless pictures

Hi guys. We had a heckuva great fish fry yesterday. Blew away previous sales and profit records. The food was awesome too.

Last night was probably the greatest northern lights show that any of us in this area have ever seen. Here are a few photos I got from my dock and from a high spot on my way home. These are three second time time lapse cell phone photos and are completely unedited.

IMG_8415.jpegIMG_8418.jpegIMG_8416.jpegIMG_8421.jpegIMG_8423.jpegIMG_8420.jpegIMG_8419.jpegIMG_8427.jpegIMG_8429.jpegIMG_8409.jpeg

Hi guys. We had a heckuva great fish fry yesterday. Blew away previous sales and profit records. The food was awesome too.

Last night was probably the greatest northern lights show that any of us in this area have ever seen. Here are a few photos I got from my dock and from a high spot on my way home. These are three second time time lapse cell phone photos and are completely unedited.

View attachment 1176498View attachment 1176500View attachment 1176502View attachment 1176503View attachment 1176504View attachment 1176505View attachment 1176506View attachment 1176507View attachment 1176508View attachment 1176509
After your thorough documentation of this light display I'm willing to cut you some slack for not posting any cast iron cooking or baking fotos in recent history.:innocent:

Ok, so…is Farmer Steve now training attack cows?

You just can’t make this **** up, lol

The poor things probably thought the guy came out there to feed them!

Cows are often curious; it is the bulls you have to watch out for!

They look scarier than drop bears!!!

Disappointing morning. The 038 still wouldn't run right. I've had to shoot some fuel mix into the air filter when starting cold ever since I put the AM plastic fuel tank on. The black plastic choke/kill switch bar never completely closes the choke so I shoot a little mix in and it fires right up. The bar broke and the replacement did the same.

Today, after shooting in the mix, the engine would only run until the sprayed in fuel was gone. Then the saw would die.
Had to cut a whole load of Cherry up with the MS 170. Talk about slow.
IMG_2915.JPG
Not a full load, but that's all there was. Was going to top off with oak, but my little saw had enough for the day.

PXL_20240511_025428535.NIGHT~2.jpgPXL_20240511_024154707.NIGHT.jpgPXL_20240511_020630489.NIGHT.jpg
I thought this was the northern lights but now I think it was the great Stihl spirit come to take the soul of my weed whacker. Last night we had the show of a lifetime. Today I pulled and pulled and maybe muttered curse words to no avail. I think I have pulled that rope for the last time. Probably go shopping soon.

Had a nice chat with my logging buddy this morning before work. I remembered to ask what he's getting for a load of logs. He said $850 delivered, fire wood grade, nothing much over 20" dbh, and mixed hardwood. More if someone wants something specific or special.
We both agreed it's roughly 10 cord. I burn a but more then most being solely heated with wood. weather dependant I'll be able to get a year to year hand half out of a straight truck load like that. Most people are closer to 5 cord a year, so still a good price per year either way, but I'm pretty sure that's running real close with natural gas or propane cost.

Well... let's see what I scrounged up today for free that @djg james could use! (I already know he's eyeing the 2 tool boxes.)
View attachment 1176602View attachment 1176603View attachment 1176604View attachment 1176605
I might have to put together a care package for the next time I head westward if this keeps up. What size boot do you wear? :laughing:
Umm let's see. Another tool box would be nice. Coincidentally, I have a set of 4 of those bolt-on tie down brackets, so I don't need those. The chisels look beat to heck, so they're out. I bought a bunch of chisels and punches at a yard sale years ago, so I'm good. I've got three or four pipe wrenches too, so no need. Another pair of channel locks would be nice. I have all the plumbing supplies I need as well as jumper cables. And I don't wear/need overshoe boots either.

So nothing I really need, but thanks for asking.

Most people don't understand the dedication it takes to heat a house with fire wood. I've been heating with wood either as secondary or primary heat source since I was a kid. It's really a life style, doesn't matter if you're getting wood off your land or running around for it. Loads of work.
I know what you mean there.Started supplemental wood heat when I was 17,still at it 43 years later.Parental units bought 10 acres heavily stocked 90% oak/hickory with a few other scattered species and a small cabin about an hour from here when I was not quite 18.I still go out there a couple times monthly when weather (and now my slowly aging body) permits.Plus a local small tree service contact since summer 2012 dumps off a big trailer load here in town for free once a year or so- most of the bigger nicer pieces from that - Various species like Honey Locust,Bur Oak,Mulberry,Black Walnut,Black Cherry,occasionally a nice old largeWhite Oak yard tree - goes to feed my woodworking hobby- I mill them into boards,slabs,plus some shorter blocks/chunks for woodturning,have even sold a few pieces from time to time.That dont make me rich of course,but it does buy a new ripping chain,regular chain,some files or other supplies that I need anyway.

I owned a gas horizontal/vertical splitter,purchased new from Apr.1996 to Dec.2005,when it was sold.It sat in garage unused the last 3 years,so I got rid of it.Other than that short time frame,I've split all my wood with various mauls since I was 17.Its not easy,especially the past few years now,but I still enjoy cutting,splitting stacking the wood & I'll continue long as I'm able to. Its really a lifestyle,like you said.

Its what's kept me in decent shape all these years,even now.If I had started at 40 or so,I'd probably did things a little differently than I did when starting at the beginning,but who knows.If all a sudden I couldnt do the wood anymore,it would be a great shock to me,but there will be a day (coming sooner than later now) that will happen.Am not gonna worry about that til the day arrives,hopefully that's a few more years yet.....

Plus in the early 90's I started collecting,rebuilding/restoring as in addition to using for all of my felling trees,bucking the wood,even milling woodworking stock vintage chainsaws (pre 1985 roughly) but that's another story in itself.....

In the photo is roughly 90% Red,White & Bur Oak,either dead fall or snags I dropped since May 2023.Remainder is some leftover Shagbark Hickory,some Green Ash & Mulberry scattered among it,that is mostly in the back row.Plus the really dark wood is some Bur Oak that was leftover from 2-3 years ago.Its super dense,the best of the bunch here.I tend to save it (along with my Honey Locust & the Hickory) for the coldest winter days....
A couple more medium sized Red/White Oak snags already felled in past 3 weeks,just need to get back out there,load it up,bring it back to town to finish out this stack.Though there's probably enough nearby to start a 3rd stack,the grass/wildflowers in the timber is getting tall now,plus it usually starts getting hot by early June around here.Normally dont do much if any work in the woods in July or August,the temps plus the humidity can really be brutal around here then.Besides,since I retired almost 5 years ago after 30 years working commercial construction full time + doing tree work part time on the side (not just for myself on my family owned property) I'm supposed to be ''taking it easy'' now :innocent: :laughing:

Funny though,most of the time I'm still busy 25-40 hrs a week,but its different when you can work at your own pace,stop & take a break whenever you feel like,not at a set,scheduled time of day like when still employed.....:clap:

So much past then I usually wait until cooler temps around early September,I'm no rush any more.That's a good thing too haha.

2nd pic is this big White Oak at the acreage that died sometime late 2022.Planning on bringing it down sometime this Fall,if not,then next Spring.Guessing it was the 2nd oldest tree on the property,roughly 24"-26" diameter x 80 some feet tall.Hoping to get a few 6 foot long wide 2" thick planks from the lowest part of the trunk,I'll know if its worth it (other than firewood) once the tree is dropped.If its hollow (didnt sound like it though) will be several more loads of wood,guessing there's 2-3 full pickup loads just from the tops & branches easily.

DSC04469.JPG
DSC04335.JPG

Had a nice chat with my logging buddy this morning before work. I remembered to ask what he's getting for a load of logs. He said $850 delivered, fire wood grade, nothing much over 20" dbh, and mixed hardwood. More if someone wants something specific or special.
We both agreed it's roughly 10 cord. I burn a but more then most being solely heated with wood. weather dependant I'll be able to get a year to year hand half out of a straight truck load like that. Most people are closer to 5 cord a year, so still a good price per year either way, but I'm pretty sure that's running real close with natural gas or propane cost.
Wow, the woodyard I work with sells a full truck of logs…12-13 cord average…for $3500, delivered, Red Fir.

Wow, the woodyard I work with sells a full truck of logs…12-13 cord average…for $3500, delivered, Red Fir.
That's a good price if it's decent quality. 20 cord loads of green hardwood ( sugar maple, beech, red oak ) are fetching $2,000 - $2,500 for 20 cord loads around here and most ain't willing to deliver a ten cord load at all.

3rd grade till 18 firewood was my job at my dads, then I think I was 31 when I put in a woodstove at my own house

Between those years, did firewood for hunting camp and my sisters. Between 27-31 I was her main source of firepower as her 1st husband had left the scene

Firewood is the best source!!

Latest posts

Back