Scrounging Firewood (and other stuff)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
cuttinstihl

cuttinstihl

ArboristSite Operative
Back to the log pile for load 18 this morning. Mostly oak, mostly noodled with a few cherry and maple rounds for filler.
View attachment 1177706
Oh, and the Echo 620P is by far the best saw I've ever owned. I'm no saw collector like some of you, but it even exceeded my expectations. (Sorry/not sorry.) Probably should post in the "you suck" thread, because I did get a deal.
No doubt they're great saws, especially for the price. Them and the 590 are far and away the best new 60cc for the money IMO

Squareground3691

Squareground3691

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Back to the log pile for load 18 this morning. Mostly oak, mostly noodled with a few cherry and maple rounds for filler.
View attachment 1177706
Oh, and the Echo 620P is by far the best saw I've ever owned. I'm no saw collector like some of you, but it even exceeded my expectations. (Sorry/not sorry.) Probably should post in the "you suck" thread, because I did get a deal.
Now you need to up ur game 1201 , Lol 😆 IMG_3140.jpeg

sean donato

sean donato

Chainsaws are like crack... just can't get enough.
. AS Supporting Member.
Ill tell ya Sean , I wouldn’t mind tying one of them , there supposed to be pretty awesome torque monsters , but 125’s rule 👍😆View attachment 1177714
I've contemplated grabbing one from Robin woods a few times. Just don't like the lack of parts available state side.

MustangMike
Went out to the log yard today to work on the 2nd pile of Bk. Locust. I tried new gas in the 038, but it still wouldn't run right. I'll resurrect my "Stihl 038 Woes" thread and maybe someone can help me figure it out. I took along the 046 that I bought a couple a years ago that ran but needed at least a new piston. I've never cut with anything bigger than a 60cc saw and man, this saw went right through the Bk Locust like it was Oak. Until it started smoking and died. Still turns over, just won't start. It'll probably need a cylinder too now. So, I ended up with only a half load. Loaded a couple of sticks I could manage also, because the tree guy has started to burn again. I really wanted to get all of the Locust out of there.
View attachment 1177676View attachment 1177677
Still another 6 logs left. Guessing 1 to 1-1/2 loads. Hope it doesn't get burned.
Usually, you can clean up the cylinder, buy a Meteor Piston and be back in business. However, first you have to find out why it is burning up. Sounds like either an air leak, or the carb is adjusted too lean (the Hi needle). Luckily, 046s are easy to work on.

Check all your rubber first ... fuel line, impulse line and carb boot. Your seals may also be bad, but often that means the bearings are bad, and the case has to be split.

I did just replace the seals once on my 044 (the bearings were good).

Often if a saw feels "too strong", it is running too lean.

OH_Varmntr

OH_Varmntr

Burner of stored sunlight
Yep, good economy and fun. Not fast or fancy, but dead reliable.
I'm hoping once we get the tune really dialed in I can average over 50mpg, but I think thats going to be tough with my daily commute and how much traffic picks up over summer around here.
Another guy I work with has a basically identical jetta to mine, just all stock and claims over 50 mpg pretty regularly. I think he's mostly full of it. He's drives like his arse is on fire. Even when mine was stock I never managed to break 50mpg. Could manage 47-48. Finally back up close to that again.
Mine's all stock with 331k miles on it and here's my mileage data over the last 12,152 miles. Best was 48.82, worst 41.50. 95% of my driving is a 44-mile round trip to work through county roads and some state roads.
Jetta Mileage.jpg

Ill tell ya Sean , I wouldn’t mind tying one of them , there supposed to be pretty awesome torque monsters , but 125’s rule 👍😆View attachment 1177714

I saw a guy on Facebook who has 2 brand new old stock 125s. He's selling one of them for $4,000 and keeping the other.

Squareground3691

Squareground3691

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member
Mine's all stock with 331k miles on it and here's my mileage data over the last 12,152 miles. Best was 48.82, worst 41.50. 95% of my driving is a 44-mile round trip to work through county roads and some state roads.
View attachment 1177740

I saw a guy on Facebook who has 2 brand new old stock 125s. He's selling one of them for $4,000 and keeping the other.
NOS , that pretty cool , people have big pockets when it comes to something like that,

djg james

djg james

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Usually, you can clean up the cylinder, buy a Meteor Piston and be back in business. However, first you have to find out why it is burning up. Sounds like either an air leak, or the carb is adjusted too lean (the Hi needle). Luckily, 046s are easy to work on.

Check all your rubber first ... fuel line, impulse line and carb boot. Your seals may also be bad, but often that means the bearings are bad, and the case has to be split.

I did just replace the seals once on my 044 (the bearings were good).

Often if a saw feels "too strong", it is running too lean.
Things, recreational wise, are slowing down, so I'll start a thread on it in a month or so when I start to work on it. Thanks

GrizG

GrizG

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
The more I do the further behind I seem to get! Going into this week the only thing on my calendar was a lunch meeting Wednesday. I had all good intentions of running my saw(s). That never happened... "Must do" things at my parents' home used up Monday, Tuesday and the rest of Wednesday. Today, after ordering parts for some of my Stihl outdoor power equipment (the stuff has been well used!) and picking up some supplies for my parents' house I planned to go back to my parents'. When I went into my walkout basement shop to get tools there was water on the floor... a lot of water! A quick inspection suggested it was a bad fitting on the hot water heater so I shut it down.

Then there was a mad rush to clean things up with the wet/dry vac and then move on from there. The worst part of the clean up experience was that the water had gotten into the very bottom of my gun safe through the anchor bolt holes. This despite being elevated off the floor on PVC boards. It seems that I gave the concrete guys too much credit for having a level floor when I picked that spot. It turns out the safe was in the lowest part of the floor! Dealing with that was a PITA... every gun had to be removed and wiped down. Most had plastic or rubber butt plates but others had steel, brass or wood butts (English stocked SxS shotguns). I don't think there will be permanent damage to any of them as they've been well cared for. I've got fans running to dry the safe and basement out.

After the clean up I diagnosed the heat pump hot water heater. Water was coming out of the cover plate around the upper heating element. Initially it looked like the leak was the connection between the element and tank. After disconnecting the wires and wiping it all down I put the tank under pressure with my compressor... It turns out there is a pin hole in the tank just below the element. 😕 Oh well... What makes me concerned is that we installed two other heat pump hot water heaters at the same time... at my parents' and my brother's houses. I have "good water" compared to those other locations so I can expect to do all three in short order. Tomorrow I'll pick up a new one... Arrow points to leak.

Another week shot! It's a good thing I'm retired and have been vacating my government and fraternal organization offices in recent weeks so I have time for myself. 😉

IMG_6740.gif

sean donato

sean donato

. AS Supporting Member.
View attachment 1177740

Got 47.28 this tank. 591 miles 12.5 gallons till it clicked.
don't know who's crazier, the guy asking $4k for that saw or the person willing to pay that much for it. I'd love to have one, but wouldn't/couldn't think of entertaing a price like that.

Hey guys. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on here.

Looking for recommendation for a handheld GPS (for land use, not water). I am more or less looking for a small landmark in a chunk of very heavily wooded land and want to trace my steps so I am not missing any ground or repeating myself. No cell service in given area so phone apps are not helpful.

Any suggestions?

sean donato

sean donato

. AS Supporting Member.
Hey guys. I know there are a lot of knowledgeable folks on here.

Looking for recommendation for a handheld GPS (for land use, not water). I am more or less looking for a small landmark in a chunk of land and want to trace my steps so I am not missing any ground or repeating myself. No cell service in given area so phone apps are not helpful.

Any suggestions?
I had a Garmin hand held gps years ago. Think it was called a trex or Trax. Was pretty decent. Map left a snail trail wherever you walked. I don't remember what I paid for it, but I'm certain it wasn't real expensive. Biggest downside to it was it was only as accurate as how ever Many satellites you could hook up too, needed at least 3 or 4 to work. I'm sure they still make something like it.

MechanicMatt

MechanicMatt

Cut Split Stack Burn
Well this toy is about done, maybe add a bi-pod

Thinking I need to get the reloading going again, want to try and dial in the 7-08 a bit better

And then…. a .243 Remington 700 fell in my lap for a price I couldn’t say no to….

I dunno what’s worse cad or gad, I still need to put the 272xp back together…..

Oh and the other handful of saws I’ve been neglecting

🤣🤦‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️
IMG_7161.jpeg

Latest posts