Scrounging just got serious

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats on the new trailer CF.
That should haul the tractor around quite nice as well:yes:
What brand did you go with, any particular reason, sure there is:).

It's a legend trailer. I didn't think the cost increase for a load trail was worth it. Not for what I'm going to do with it. I didn't like the way the big Tex was built. This one has more steel in what I feel are the right places.

Weird thing is I can't find anyplace in the web where the manufacturer lists their dump trailers. Salesmen told me they have these built by legend to their specs.

They are very prevalent here in the Lansing area and me working in a landfill I see all manners of dump trailers. These seem to keep working.

Sent from a field

It's a legend trailer. I didn't think the cost increase for a load trail was worth it. Not for what I'm going to do with it. I didn't like the way the big Tex was built. This one has more steel in what I feel are the right places.

Weird thing is I can't find anyplace in the web where the manufacturer lists their dump trailers. Salesmen told me they have these built by legend to their specs.

They are very prevalent here in the Lansing area and me working in a landfill I see all manners of dump trailers. These seem to keep working.

Sent from a field
Thanks, you know I "need" one too.
Thats good feedback when you see many being used and they hold up.
Lots of cheap products out there these days.
There were a few legends for sale at an auction a while ago that went for a fair price, but it was a stretch for me as I'm a cash guy, and the drive would have been taxing on my schedule then.
I'm patient and I'm sure when I'm ready one will come my way.
How's the angle of the ramps for loading the tractor, it looks great with the long ramps(are those heavy).

Yes you can get a gooseneck. I opted not to because I am going to put a cap on the truck.

Sent from a field

That makes total sense. I forgot about how nice having a useful dry bed is. Lol

DOH!!!!!

I am glad I don't have my 3/4 ton any more...lol. Kinda. That would be very very tempting.

The Ecodiesel sure as heck isn't up to the task of a dump trailer.

Sent from a field

You can't get any better endorsement than that Casey. Good deal!!!!!

This should serve you very well.

Thanks, you know I "need" one too.
Thats good feedback when you see many being used and they hold up.
Lots of cheap products out there these days.
There were a few legends for sale at an auction a while ago that went for a fair price, but it was a stretch for me as I'm a cash guy, and the drive would have been taxing on my schedule then.
I'm patient and I'm sure when I'm ready one will come my way.
How's the angle of the ramps for loading the tractor, it looks great with the long ramps(are those heavy).

Haven't put the tractor in it yet. Probably will this weekend to get my tie downs set up. Ramps are 6.5 feet long. If the break over angle is to much I'll just raise the box a little.

Sent from a field

This is my single axle dump, 5K, electric brakes, 2 5/6 ball, 8'X62", drive on ramp. My brother in law has a Kubota with FEL and 60 inch belly mower. It will pull or back on, the bucket has to hang over one end to get the ramp up. Holds one cord to top of side boards, and dumps it with out a grunt. Just right for a 1500 series truck. A load of wood will push the truck with out the trailer brakes hooked up. Cost me about $3500 ten years ago. One of the most useful tools I've ever bought, Joe.

Not sure, but I intend to find out. GVW of 14,000 which is (technically) 1,500 more than the truck is rated to pull.

Its 196 cubic feet level with the sides. Im sure Ill add a 2x12 to the sides to increase volume.

It will double as my equipment trailer as well which is why I went with 14' instead of 12'.

Been calling around and looking for a dump trailer also. Why did you go with 14' and not 16'? I have a 16' utility trailer I use now and have been looking for 16' dump trailer.

This is my single axle dump, 5K, electric brakes, 2 5/6 ball, 8'X62", drive on ramp. My brother in law has a Kubota with FEL and 60 inch belly mower. It will pull or back on, the bucket has to hang over one end to get the ramp up. Holds one cord to top of side boards, and dumps it with out a grunt. Just right for a 1500 series truck. A load of wood will push the truck with out the trailer brakes hooked up. Cost me about $3500 ten years ago. One of the most useful tools I've ever bought, Joe.

Nice little trailer.

Sorry about the maple, more and more suicides these days, good your taking care of it.

Been calling around and looking for a dump trailer also. Why did you go with 14' and not 16'? I have a 16' utility trailer I use now and have been looking for 16' dump trailer.

14' is all I need to get my tractor with loader and forks into. 16' adds another 1000 pounds to the unloaded weight of the trailer and both are 14,000 gvw.

In other words, more cargo capacity.

Sent from a field

There is a point where you run out of "legal" truck. That was where I was with the 3 cord trailer. It had no brakes and was a legal liability to use. Had to have no inclement weather and hard dry ground or it was sunk or pushed or drug me. I am sure it was a lawsuit waiting to happen. Did I say it was good to see it go?

There is a point where you run out of "legal" truck. That was where I was with the 3 cord trailer. It had no brakes and was a legal liability to use. Had to have no inclement weather and hard dry ground or it was sunk or pushed or drug me. I am sure it was a lawsuit waiting to happen. Did I say it was good to see it go?

Pretty much. I would have gone with a 12,000 trailer if it didn't mean skimping on build quality. Never mind the 12,000 trailers are 12' or less.

I wasn't shopping by gvw, length was my driving decision.

Sent from a field

Casey, I've got to get one of these. I'd love to work with the ladies (and the gents) and help them stack all those split logs after I dump over a full cord on the driveway. Simple as that. Heck, even the neighbors might pitch in and help the buyer. Don't you agree?

I'm so envious of all these trailers...I bought a 3/4 ton diesel last year with the intention of buying a dump trailer sooner than later but with truck payments that may come later than sooner. I need to start selling some wood to build up a fund...have 10+ cord on hand.

At least the truck has hauled some serious loads of wood, it has earned it's keep so far. But it is begging for something to pull, I swear the thing gets better mileage with a load in it.

20160114_170336.jpg

Casey, I've got to get one of these. I'd love to work with the ladies (and the gents) and help them stack all those split logs after I dump over a full cord on the driveway. Simple as that. Heck, even the neighbors might pitch in and help the buyer. Don't you agree?

Or just a manual crane on the truck or trailer and drop off those big bags that hold around a quarter or third of a cord. Set the bag on a pallet for them, provide a plastic top cover to keep the rain and snow off, done. Ideally even better tote boxes and charge a deposit.

Or just a manual crane on the truck or trailer and drop off those big bags that hold around a quarter or third of a cord. Set the bag on a pallet for them, provide a plastic top cover to keep the rain and snow off, done. Ideally even better tote boxes and charge a deposit.
That's intriguing also. BUT, people also need exercise. One lady said, "I love it when you show up with a load of wood. Then I can get my kids off their butts and do something around here to help. All they seem to do is get spaced out, texting with their cell phones."

I'm so envious of all these trailers...I bought a 3/4 ton diesel last year with the intention of buying a dump trailer sooner than later but with truck payments that may come later than sooner. I need to start selling some wood to build up a fund...have 10+ cord on hand.

At least the truck has hauled some serious loads of wood, it has earned it's keep so far. But it is begging for something to pull, I swear the thing gets better mileage with a load in it.

View attachment 480885
uhhhh...you drive a ford?...I cant associate with you anymore!:buttkick:

Latest posts

Back