Sealant / gasket maker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anyone tried Vibratite 730 on crankcases? I was thinking about giving it a shot but I don't have much info on it
Other than it is US made.

Last edited:
I get my 518 at my local napa. They don't however carry the accelerant however but you really don't need it if you wait a day

large amounts of orange high temp permatex . oh and make sure you get all over.

I use YB4. I assemble the P/C, install the carb, and muffler, and start the saw...no waiting.

It doesn't take much of these sealants- I lay a small bead on both surfaces and use a putty knife to spread and thin the layers. I put them together and give them a little twist to remove any voids.

I'm using 515, but will have to check out 518. I've also got orange hi temp Permatex somewhere here, but like working with the 515 more. I always give 24+ hours before I pressure test the job and continue the re-assembly.

I'm using 515, but will have to check out 518. I've also got orange hi temp Permatex somewhere here, but like working with the 515 more. I always give 24+ hours before I pressure test the job and continue the re-assembly.
the hi temp ref was a joke. please no one use it. i don't know how many things i've seen with that crap smeared all over everything.

I have used Hondabond and Dirko. I like Dirko, but it sets up quickly. Once I used the Permatex copper in a Briggs RTEK and it has held up ok.

I wanted to try the 518 before I bought the Hondabond but I could not find it, I called Fastenall, a Locktite outlet and they had never heard of it. I thought I searched Ebay.....

i get 518 from a local autoparts store called lordco. i think lordco is BC only. the tubes of 518 are $15 before tax so ya it ain't cheap. they ain't real big tubes either but can get quite a few saws done with one tube.

On other forums many professional mechanics say that the permatex 51813 is the same as loctite 518 only a different color and a lot cheaper and available at more auto parts stores. Haven't tried it yet but I do have a tube.

On other forums many professional mechanics say that the permatex 51813 is the same as loctite 518 only a different color and a lot cheaper and available at more auto parts stores. Haven't tried it yet but I do have a tube.

True.....it is a purple color.

The only issue I have with the WhateverBond and Dirko, is that when it squeezes inward, it sets up and blocks a little of the transfer area on a bottom fed unit. The 518 washes away. That matters in my line of work. :)

That just increases the tumble of the fuel charge.

I agree, you have to be careful or you can squish the sealant into the crankcase. I have pulled cylinders apart that I put together and seen the excess hanging out. I have been back in a couple since I started with the putty knife and don't see that problem anymore. You only need a skim coat to make the seal.

That just increases the tumble of the fuel charge.

I agree, you have to be careful or you can squish the sealant into the crankcase. I have pulled cylinders apart that I put together and seen the excess hanging out. I have been back in a couple since I started with the putty knife and don't see that problem anymore. You only need a skim coat to make the seal.

I used to have the "more is better" philosophy but now I realize that when it comes to sealants less is better as long as the surface is covered like Neal said "Skim coat"! Unless you're the blue goo bandit!! haha!

518 works very well for cases and water passage / exhaust gaskets, can also be used as a thread locker / sealer.
i have used it for years in 2 strk watercraft engines.
anerobic, only dries with absence of air so any excess doesn't turn into foreign objects inside engine.
Although a little goes a long way.....
seen "extra" sealer of the "orange" or "blue" type stuck in reed valves, oil passages, oil pickups, water passages and many other unwanted places.

i have seen the aftermath from bluegoo and orangegoo bandits!!!! never fails, just when you think you have seen it all.........

I have used Hondabond and Dirko. I like Dirko, but it sets up quickly. Once I used the Permatex copper in a Briggs RTEK and it has held up ok.

I wanted to try the 518 before I bought the Hondabond but I could not find it, I called Fastenall, a Locktite outlet and they had never heard of it. I thought I searched Ebay.....

How quick does dirko take setup?

Can anyone confirm if a slight amount of squeeze out of this stuff washes away in the crankcase? It is a ton cheaper than the 518 and my local NAPA dealer, local relatively speaking that is, about fifteen miles down the road, sells the big tube of 51813 for $25 and has it in stock. He dug for awhile and never did find the 518 in a catalog. The 51813 is an anaerobic hardening sealer too but apparently some harden for some little distance from where oxygen is cut off.

Seems mighty tempting but the wrong thing isn't cheap at any price!

Hu

Dirko usually sets up in 5-10 minutes depending on ambient temperature.

Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk

Agree. I've done pressure and vac test within 15 mins. and no leaks. In fact my only complaint, and a small one, is that it skims over very fast and has a shorter handling time than Motoseal and otheres.

Back