Sealant / gasket maker

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to go down near the NAPA fifteen miles away on a drug run a few days ago. They are the only people in driving range with anything resembling what I want, Permatex 51813. It was 518 until Loctite and Permatex split up again. The primary ingredients are the same as 518 according to the MSDS's but the devil might be in the details. The small percentage ingredients, I suspect kickers and such, aren't written up quite the same. Gave it a try today, won't try to fire the saw till tomorrow afternoon. Probably change the jug before the summer is gone and I'll see for myself if there is a tiny bead of red hanging out or not. A tiny bead on the outside of the jug in places where it meets the case but the red brings out the color in my eyes nicely, I think it is OK.

Upped the timing on my 6401 Dolkita a couple days ago. Notice more snap and torque. Somewhere between forty and sixty thousandths advance, I think five or six degrees. Couldn't really get a measurement after cutting but I had measured the molded in key at .100". I measure it at .060 now but I "eyeball" a little over half the key gone. Gonna believe my own eyes or that lying dial indicator? Least it ain't one of them battery powered boogers!

Today I took the jug off and tossed the gasket. The bottom of the factory 6401 cylinder didn't strike me as too level so I broke out my four and a half inch side grinder, figured the nine incher would have been overkill. Flattened the surface where it met the case. Didn't bother to measure for clearance again, I had a boat load after removing the gasket. I could stick my foot in there and wiggle it around if it wouldn't be for the bunion on one of my favoritest most toes.

Hu

PS: In case anyone is even slightly wondering, I have reached the age I prefer to refer to my two or three times a month trips to the drug store to keep this old carcass on the right side of the grass as drug runs rather than admit I'm having to take pills faster than Carter can make them, including his!

Hu, let me know if you want me to pick up a tube of yama or hondabond. I got both within 5 minutes of me. Gladly stick either or both in the mail fer ya. Sorry no drugs on my run...i quit that stuff after college.

I found the same 518 you did at a local autoparts shop today. $18.... I decided to leave it there.

I just ordered the permatex sealer stick off of ebay.says it works like the 515.ill keep you all posted on how it works.im hoping it solves the squish out problem.no matter how thin I get the motoseal or 1104 it squishes out.if I try to get it any thinner it either starts detting or I have spider webs all over me and or the saw.lol

Please explain how you flattened the cylinder base.

Brad,

I am somewhat prone to slightly exaggerating how I do things when speaking on the internet. I had a little machinist training back when the world was young and have done a lot of very close tolerance hand fitting when high performance gunsmithing and building circle track engines. How I actually trued the face after seeing that I couldn't use a heavy piece of glass as a flat surface, sandpaper of various grits, then lapping compound due to the cylinder extending below the base, was to use files and a machinist's square for a straight edge. The straight edge revealed the sides were pretty nicely flat but both the intake port side and exhaust side bulged in the middle. I ground safety sides on a plain ten inch mill bastard file to rough cut using the straight edge and a sharpie in place of Prussian blue to guide me. When I got close I broke out a very fine toothed, very stiff gunsmithing file for final truing of all four sides. I did start off by measuring everything with a dial indicator too.

Hu

1629033-844427-hammer-and-chisel-on-bright-background-shot-in-studio.jpg

Brad,

I am somewhat prone to slightly exaggerating how I do things when speaking on the internet. I had a little machinist training back when the world was young and have done a lot of very close tolerance hand fitting when high performance gunsmithing and building circle track engines. How I actually trued the face after seeing that I couldn't use a heavy piece of glass as a flat surface, sandpaper of various grits, then lapping compound due to the cylinder extending below the base, was to use files and a machinist's square for a straight edge. The straight edge revealed the sides were pretty nicely flat but both the intake port side and exhaust side bulged in the middle. I ground safety sides on a plain ten inch mill bastard file to rough cut using the straight edge and a sharpie in place of Prussian blue to guide me. When I got close I broke out a very fine toothed, very stiff gunsmithing file for final truing of all four sides. I did start off by measuring everything with a dial indicator too.

Hu
oh crap I was waiting for the 4" grinder video. :(

(you know like the guy sharpening the chain with the grinder ...)

Hu, let me know if you want me to pick up a tube of yama or hondabond. I got both within 5 minutes of me. Gladly stick either or both in the mail fer ya. Sorry no drugs on my run...i quit that stuff after college.

I found the same 518 you did at a local autoparts shop today. $18.... I decided to leave it there.

Angelo,

Your offer is much appreciated! I do know I can order Yamabond or Loctite 518 off the net, would give me about the same shipping time. I have been pretty much housebound or at least farmbound for the last few weeks and everything I wanted has had to be shipped in. Just a little annoyance with that and the instant gratification thing were the main reasons for using the 51813. I'll probably pull the saw back down in a few months to see how it worked on the inside. It let me play on the back porch for a few hours instead of looking at four walls or leaving my saw apart for days waiting on a shipment.

A note to everyone, I did look at the 51813 Permatex earlier and walk away because it seemed too cheap. Came home and did a few hours homework, seemed worth a try. I'll probably have the jug off again in three to six months so I figured I would find out for myself what happened, mixed reports. I couldn't even order the 518 locally from NAPA or anywhere else, I tried. Conflicting reports as to if the 51813 bead inside the cylinder will wash away, have to see. I could have went to a boat dealer about thirty five miles away to try the Yamabond but mixed reports about it too. I can't drive that far at the moment anyway, the fifteen mile trip to NAPA was a major journey. My back has decided to take off for the holidays! Hoping it decides to come back to work soon.

Boredom from being pretty much housebound and feeling like playing is why I went with the 51813. The best I could lay hands on readily and with the conflicting claims about it and Yamabond leaving a bead on the inside/not leaving a bead, I figured anything but Loctite 518 was a gamble. I carefully spread the 51813 on the flange of the cylinder with a very small flat stirring stick and it is a very tiny bead on the outside, maybe toothpick size or less. Hopefully the same size or smaller inside.

Thanks to everyone, and a special thanks to Angelo for the offer!

Hu

oh crap I was waiting for the 4" grinder video. :(

(you know like the guy sharpening the chain with the grinder ...)

I got a kick out of that video too! He did cut wood with the chain afterwards and he is happy with his results. None of that skipping a tooth and making two laps either, a quick twist side to side like a downhill ski run or pole bending on a pony.

Off topic but still about an approach to a problem, one Sunday in 1970 or 1971 a new 442 Olds with the 455 pulled in my service station. Could hear him coming a mile away! The man opened the hood and the air breather and such was off the engine, exhaust manifolds shattered end to end and glowing brighter than cherry red! The man driving grabbed a water hose and started hosing down the engine, carb to exhaust. I asked him why not cool the radiator. "It isn't the radiator that is hot, it's the engine!" I eased back 20-30 feet to watch and left him to hose down the running engine. That was as close as I wanted to be. The hottest engine I ever saw that was still able to run.

Turned out the man had picked up the new 442 at the dealer Friday evening and said he was going to be there at opening time Monday to make them fix the POS. I was opening alone Monday morning or I would have taken off just to see the look on the service manager's face when he opened that hood!

Hu

Angelo,

Your offer is much appreciated! I do know I can order Yamabond or Loctite 518 off the net, would give me about the same shipping time. I have been pretty much housebound or at least farmbound for the last few weeks and everything I wanted has had to be shipped in. Just a little annoyance with that and the instant gratification thing were the main reasons for using the 51813. I'll probably pull the saw back down in a few months to see how it worked on the inside. It let me play on the back porch for a few hours instead of looking at four walls or leaving my saw apart for days waiting on a shipment.

A note to everyone, I did look at the 51813 Permatex earlier and walk away because it seemed too cheap. Came home and did a few hours homework, seemed worth a try. I'll probably have the jug off again in three to six months so I figured I would find out for myself what happened, mixed reports. I couldn't even order the 518 locally from NAPA or anywhere else, I tried. Conflicting reports as to if the 51813 bead inside the cylinder will wash away, have to see. I could have went to a boat dealer about thirty five miles away to try the Yamabond but mixed reports about it too. I can't drive that far at the moment anyway, the fifteen mile trip to NAPA was a major journey. My back has decided to take off for the holidays! Hoping it decides to come back to work soon.

Boredom from being pretty much housebound and feeling like playing is why I went with the 51813. The best I could lay hands on readily and with the conflicting claims about it and Yamabond leaving a bead on the inside/not leaving a bead, I figured anything but Loctite 518 was a gamble. I carefully spread the 51813 on the flange of the cylinder with a very small flat stirring stick and it is a very tiny bead on the outside, maybe toothpick size or less. Hopefully the same size or smaller inside.

Thanks to everyone, and a special thanks to Angelo for the offer!

Hu

NP Hu,
sometimes the "shipping and handling is more then the product. can't cost that much to USPS in their "one box fits all"...
i thought the 518 was very expensive at $18 per.
never had any gushing problems with the Yamabond and for $10 and off the shelf local....GTG for me

I do the same thing on marble pieces for "decking" the cylinder..i do it mostly just to get a rough surface..makes me feel better too. I picked it up on a wood plane blade sharpening site.

NP Hu,
sometimes the "shipping and handling is more then the product. can't cost that much to USPS in their "one box fits all"...
i thought the 518 was very expensive at $18 per.
never had any gushing problems with the Yamabond and for $10 and off the shelf local....GTG for me

I do the same thing on marble pieces for "decking" the cylinder..i do it mostly just to get a rough surface..makes me feel better too. I picked it up on a wood plane blade sharpening site.

I think I found the 518 at about $18-$20 shipped. The little yellow hardware store carries it too and I thought I would buy it there in with other stuff and basically not pay shipping on it but there were still little to no savings. Haven't checked my other old supplier.

Speaking of old suppliers, one used to ship the stone test blocks free once in awhile. Always wanted one, never got around to it and can't remember who the supplier was anymore. I have fond memories of those and not so fond! I sent a valve plate to the east coast to be laser or diamond cut to a new shape, I forget which. I shipped to one coast for diamond cutting, the other for laser, depending on what my boss wanted to try. The machine shop decided they could get away with EDM cutting and bead blasting! That was a tiny Freon valve plate for a .33CI compressor. I spent half a day polishing the working surface back to a mirror finish on a stone gauge block. Called the shop and had a few unkind words to say too!

Hu

Latest posts

Back