Secondary or short climbing setup

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Customcuts

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I put together a short climb line for a crane job I have tomorrow. I made it out of 25 ft arbormaster just to keep the tail from getting tangled up in the tree while setting my rigging slings. I will be tied into just above the ball on crane just to set my slings then tie into tree to make cuts. So I will have that as well as a 15 ft lanyard.. anyone else have anything like this? Or any experience with a short climb line?
View attachment 247669View attachment 247670View attachment 247671

I use a 25-40' line off a pulley right above the ball, ddrt. Set the slings, drop down, untie one side once I'm tied in, works great. Ball comes back, slip it back through the pulley, retie, and head to the next branch. Gives me the option to ride out with the piece if it's old dead wood, too.

I've been climbing for about five years now with a 20 ft. lanyard that is a complete second climbing system. I think for your crane job you are going to find that 25ft. is a little to short.

attachment.php

I originally planned on usint it as a lanyard and second climb line too. So hopefully I don't come up short... I brought a longer one just in case tho...

Hope your crane job went well today. I'll be curious if you found your climbing line to short? I think for safety reasons if nothing else you should have a line that you could reach the ground if you had to in case of an emergency.
I have been using a canvas tool bag clipped to my belt with my climbing line in it. That way I have no rope hanging to get caught on stuff while your being lifted into the tree. After I choke the piece and lower my self to make the cut, I just put the slack from my climbing line back in the bag.
I used a similar set-up like you have on your lanyard for a long time. I used a clip instead of a pulley, and I tied my prussic directly to the D ring. Never had any trouble from it. I stopped just because the prussic was getting wore out.
I like your set up on your lanyard.

crane success!

Hope your crane job went well today. I'll be curious if you found your climbing line to short? I think for safety reasons if nothing else you should have a line that you could reach the ground if you had to in case of an emergency.
I have been using a canvas tool bag clipped to my belt with my climbing line in it. That way I have no rope hanging to get caught on stuff while your being lifted into the tree. After I choke the piece and lower my self to make the cut, I just put the slack from my climbing line back in the bag.
I used a similar set-up like you have on your lanyard for a long time. I used a clip instead of a pulley, and I tied my prussic directly to the D ring. Never had any trouble from it. I stopped just because the prussic was getting wore out.
I like your set up on your lanyard.

Del was right, and ur right on about having enough to exit canopy if needed. I found myself coming up short with that second climbline. So I guess ill just use it as a long lanyard. I got it on clearance @ wesspur for 15 bucks so I figured what the hell. Job went well today, had a very tight landing zone 10x20 with power lines on either side...:msp_angry: but we were able to get everything done safely with no damage..:rock:. I must admit it was a wierd feeling having limbs go up and away from me after being cut. Especially when an upright lead that was about 20ft and 14 inch diameter went right above my head to get lifted out. We got everything on the ground in a little under 2 hrs. I recorded with my gopro so ill be putting the video together tonight . I'll post it when done, the canopy was very thick so u can't see much but u can figure out what's going on. Oh and my ****** gopro was getting hung up on every other ****** limb :angry:
Overall had a great day did the crane job for 1500 in 5hrs total then did a removal on a small maple for 150 about 2 blocks away from crane job. Second job took us 1.25 hrs. Just me and 1 helper. Not too bad, I'm sure a lot of u make a lot more but I don't have the overhead to charge that much yet. So I'm happy for now.

Last edited:
I agree that the first crane job is a bit weird but glad it went well.

Yeah, it went great.!:msp_smile: I tried a couple of cutting techniques, mismatch cut, strait thru cut and the last cut was a notch on the top of a horizontal then a back cut while crane held tension. Then when I was clear I gave the signal for the lift to break the hinge and let the limb go up up and away :rock:
I definitely can't wait for the next one... Video will be up as soon as its done uploading to YouTube... Thanks to everyone who has given me feedback and advice on here. It definitely made it easier

i have a couple critiques, realizing that its your first job:

1.) Use the 441 in your profile with the 20" bar always. Sometimes you might need to power through a cut and the 200t isn't going to be able to do it. I realize some guys will say they take a 200 up all the time and switch out as needed. I prefer to have a larger, powerful saw at all times.

2.) Mismatch cuts on uprights. Using the crane to shake a piece loose is a bad idea. You can sideload the boom and do structural damage rather easily. My climber (and when i climb) only use them when we need time to move out of the way on a hairy pick that could roll. Plus you got the saw stuck. THe op could've broken that piece off and taken your saw for a ride.

3.) Signaling/ communication. Looked like you were telling the op to boom up a lot. Either he couldn't see you, or didn't trust that you knew what you were talking about. Either way is not good. You probably don't need a helmet comm setup yet, but a couple of 2 ways will help big time. Especially on blind picks that could hit a chimney/satelite dish that the crane op cannot see.

Overall, looked like a decent job. Happy for you that you got it done quicker than you anticipated and no damage, thats what cranes are for!

I realize it is your first job, but I found that very hard to watch. I hope you have a mentor that you can show the vid to and let him show you the very many things you need to learn.
Not being a bully, just straight up.
Jeff:msp_wink:

1.) Use the 441 in your profile with the 20" bar always. Sometimes you might need to power through a cut and the 200t isn't going to be able to do it. I realize some guys will say they take a 200 up all the time and switch out as needed. I prefer to have a larger, powerful saw at all times.

2.) Mismatch cuts on uprights. Using the crane to shake a piece loose is a bad idea. You can sideload the boom and do structural damage rather easily. My climber (and when i climb) only use them when we need time to move out of the way on a hairy pick that could roll. Plus you got the saw stuck. THe op could've broken that piece off and taken your saw for a ride.

3.) Signaling/ communication. Looked like you were telling the op to boom up a lot. Either he couldn't see you, or didn't trust that you knew what you were talking about. Either way is not good. You probably don't need a helmet comm setup yet, but a couple of 2 ways will help big time. Especially on blind picks that could hit a chimney/satelite dish that the crane op cannot see.

Overall, looked like a decent job. Happy for you that you got it done quicker than you anticipated and no damage, thats what cranes are for!

Damn, the 441 huh? Makes sense tho. Taking that saw up in the tree isn't one of my favorite things to do...lol... And yea the C.O. couldn't see me so I was passing calls and signals thru my groundie... I did mismatch cuts just because I just wanted to make sure I could get back from the limb before it came off completely.... And the last cut where I notched it then did the back cut on the underside I wanted the limb to go up and out and not roll seeing as it was only choked on 1 limb and it was right over the roof. Plus I wanted to get away from it before it came off... I also thought about a 2way radio but didn't get one. Im looking to get a ms362 with 18" b&c to take up with me on the next one. I will definitely be doing more crane work in the future. I must admit I've been reluctant to pursue crane work due to not having anyone with experience to train me.... So I pretty much learned from this site's members who have been kind enough to share their experience's and give advice. Basically everything I know is pretty much self taught. I do appreciate your feedback and thanks for not bashing me for my mistakes... :msp_smile:

I realize it is your first job, but I found that very hard to watch. I hope you have a mentor that you can show the vid to and let him show you the very many things you need to learn.

By now I know that all of my videos are hard for you to watch Jeff...lol. And I'm posting my videos on here for you guys to tell me what I need to work on and improve on. Unfortunately I have noboby in my area that can give me advice or show me the ropes. Plus the other tree guys in my area are hackjobs @best and have been lionstailing for 15+yrs, don't use blocks,friction devices,and use their active climb lines to rig with... Oh, and they all specialize in "topping":angry:..... I talked to a guy who runs a 4 man crew here locally for 20+ yrs. I asked him if they climbed srt or drt and what hitches they used to climb, he looked @ me like I was talking a foreign language. Then he told my that they just tie the end of their rope to their saddle then tied a "slipknot" to hold them up.....:ices_rofl:...I know there is a couple of good outfits that do use advanced climbing methods and rigging techniques. My point is that you guys are the ones I look to for advice. I want to constantly improve my abilities because I have a genuine passion for this line of work. That being said, thank you for not bashing my every mistake.:msp_biggrin:

By now I know that all of my videos are hard for you to watch Jeff...lol. And I'm posting my videos on here for you guys to tell me what I need to work on and improve on. Unfortunately I have noboby in my area that can give me advice or show me the ropes. Plus the other tree guys in my area are hackjobs @best and have been lionstailing for 15+yrs, don't use blocks,friction devices,and use their active climb lines to rig with... Oh, and they all specialize in "topping":angry:..... I talked to a guy who runs a 4 man crew here locally for 20+ yrs. I asked him if they climbed srt or drt and what hitches they used to climb, he looked @ me like I was talking a foreign language. Then he told my that they just tie the end of their rope to their saddle then tied a "slipknot" to hold them up.....:ices_rofl:...I know there is a couple of good outfits that do use advanced climbing methods and rigging techniques. My point is that you guys are the ones I look to for advice. I want to constantly improve my abilities because I have a genuine passion for this line of work. That being said, thank you for not bashing my every mistake.:msp_biggrin:

I know and I get it, Thank's for not taking offense.
Jeff

I sure would love to see some footage of your work when you were first starting out and with no one to teach you hands on training..... Just remember we all have to start somewhere.:msp_thumbup:

You guys are very blessed down here ridin the hook to access into tree for dismantle is a no go by national OH&S rules The tree industry been trying to convince the regulator that we can do it safely but they are giving little ground. One state Northern territory has a kinda understanding for hook riding and we are hoping all goes well this will knock on to other states. below shows how prescriptive its becoming and why not many are interested to battle desk top boffins when they bury you under pages of common sense

http://www.safeworkaustralia.gov.au...Access-in-Tree-Trimming-and-Arboriculture.pdf

Last edited:
well mate... there's rules, and then there's what's done ;-) One handing a 200T is against the rules in aus too, but everyone does it. Same story for not having signage, stacking on the street without a permit, running a saw without chaps, chipping without a hard hat, not having a safe work plan/risk assesment, not having a rescue kit on site etc etc etc... And so it is with riding the hook into the tree. I do it on most jobs, and most guys I've seen to crane removals do it too. It's the norm more than the exception. Exceptin' of course if someone's watching ;-)

Shaun

well mate... there's rules, and then there's what's done ;-) One handing a 200T is against the rules in aus too, but everyone does it. Same story for not having signage, stacking on the street without a permit, running a saw without chaps, chipping without a hard hat, not having a safe work plan/risk assesment, not having a rescue kit on site etc etc etc... And so it is with riding the hook into the tree. I do it on most jobs, and most guys I've seen to crane removals do it too. It's the norm more than the exception. Exceptin' of course if someone's watching ;-)

Shaun

Wow! You guys are like in Massachusetts or California. .
Everything is illegal. . I feel bad for you.

you should clean your work area up so you can see better and not get caught in something ! and it wld help the op see u better too ! glad u did ok tho , good luck on future jobs .

Back