securing rope ends

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK, you have compared a well done whipping to a sloppily done melting. Not relevent. I'll stick to carefully melting the ends of my ropes, thank you. No burrs, no black globs, just a clean rope termination without loose threads hanging off from a snagged whipping.
;)

I like to carefully whip the end, then wrap it in tape, melt the very end, dip it in fiberglass resin, and once that's hardened, carefully dip it in plasti-dip. I then etch the date into the finished end. To protect the date, I cover it with a clear heat shrink tube, carefully lockstiching and whipping it to the rope, followed by more plasti-dip.

Wow, Mike I can't beleive we actulay do the same thing! Up to the shrink wrap part. I spray on a good urithane clearcoat.

I may not have a life to speak of, but I'll dip and hang the rope. It lasts for around a year, even on my rigging lines, well, unlsess someone shortens it first....

I can do two colors of that too.

It is rare for the tape to come off with us, maybe 1-2x in the life of the line (before downgrading into lower, 'dragging levels'). Actually seems that line wear/damage precedes that in a fair amount of cases, not fairly tesitng the tapes life.

I have recently learned 'Sailor's Whipping,' it is really quite simple and I don't see how you can beat it. It involves a large needle and no knots. Ican whip an end in less than 3 minutes. If interested I believe I could instruct you with a few scanned pictures and some emails. Try to find it on the net!
Good luck

Back